Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  1.    #1  
    To all Veer owners, I do not have a Veer but this has been tested by Herrie and it worked (YMMV).

This process is now ready for primetime users to enjoy SMS Mirroring on the touchpad with their stock webOS 2.1.x...

To get BlueTooth MAP (SMS Mirror) one has to do a few things first:

1. Grab the webOS 2.2.4 source for the Veer (google it), I will not help you here but it is out there in the wild...

2. Make sure you have the meta-doctor application configured and installed...

3. Use the script attached it will create a webOS doctor directory depending on a switch

4. Copy the script to the scripts directory under the meta-doctor directory.

5. Run the script: ./scripts/getbtveer carrier ("att" or "wr")
    For att one would run ./scripts/getbtveer att
    For wr one would run ./scripts/getbtveer wr

If your carrier is "att" it will create a directory called veer-p160una-att-2.1.2, if your carrier is "wr" the directory will be called veer-p160una-wr-2.1.1. (if you already have this directory then great we will use it)

If you do not have this directory run the script once (it will create the directory for you) It will exit with:
    Not prepared for webOS 2.2.4 BlueTooth extract
    Please create 224 directory under ...

6. Setup for webOS 2.2.4 swap:

Now create a directory called 224 under that directory...
    I.E. meta-doctor/build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/224 or meta-doctor/build/veer-p160una-wr-2.1.1/224

Copy the file nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar.gz from the webOS 2.2.4 source (we only need that one file)

7. Rerun the script: ./scripts/getbtveer carrier ("att" or "wr")
    For att one would run ./scripts/getbtveer att
    For wr one would run ./scripts/getbtveer wr

Tech Info for what the script does:
    The script will now extract the webOS 2.2.4/2.1.x Bluetooth Modules and create two files called btveer224.tar and btveerorg.tar.

8. Now use this WiKi (using this new btveer224.tar instead of the bt.tar, if you wish to go back to your old BlueTooth Modules use the btveerorg.tar)

MAP Bluetooth Legacy Devices - WebOS Internals

9. Happy SMS Mirroring with your Touchpad...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/14/2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Updated Script HP/Palm changed the Source URL
    sledge007, m0ngr31 and rossanor like this.
    Hi John,

It doesn't work on 2.1.2 because of the language files I guess. I get the following error:

cp -r /media/internal/bt/* ./
    cp: target './usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.bluetooth/resources/en/ie' is not a directory

I will try to flash mine to 2.1.1 later to see if it works there.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Hi John,

It doesn't work on 2.1.2 because of the language files I guess. I get the following error:

cp -r /media/internal/bt/* ./
    cp: target './usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.bluetooth/resources/en/ie' is not a directory

I will try to flash mine to 2.1.1 later to see if it works there.
    Well on webOS 2.1.x that directory is a soft link and needs to be removed before copying over the source...

FYI in webOS 2.1.x ie and cn are both short linked to gb, in webOS 2.2.4 only ie exists cn has been removed.

I made note on the WiKi and I also updated my page 213 (original about legacy devices)

To remove the soft link just do a rm -rf /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.bluetooth/resources/en/ie in novaterm.

When you copy over the files it will re-create this short link.

Other then that thanks for testing and let me know if it works now please test again?
    Last edited by John Steffes; 03/03/2012 at 08:12 AM.
    Yup the rm did the trick

Got it all working now

SMS are now being received on Touchpad via BT using Veer 2.1.2 with updated BT bits from 2.2.4

Thanks
    sledge007 likes this.
    I can't try it. :-( My TP is at HP.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yup the rm did the trick

Got it all working now

SMS are now being received on Touchpad via BT using Veer 2.1.2 with updated BT bits from 2.2.4

Thanks
    Herrie thanks for testing, updated the WiKi and first post hope this helps others with their veers...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Herrie thanks for testing, updated the WiKi and first post hope this helps others with their veers...
    You're welcome, happy to help
    It took me two days to figure out how to get Ubuntu working on my PC... Had to go Virtual Box route as I could not for the life of me get wubi to install properly due to some root filesystem error, then figure out the meta-doctor and had a couple of runs where I'd screwed something up, but I got it to work! Thank you sir!

And thanks to Herrie for ironing out those errors
    Last edited by sledge007; 03/07/2012 at 10:38 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I got to the part where I'm supposed to copy all of the files over to my phone and Ubuntu tells me that the file system does not support symbolic links. why is that?

*edit I chose skip all and went through with the rest of the installation. It completed without errors. I turned on the bluetooth and paired with my touchpad. They both paired correctly and the option for sms mirroring is turned on and both say they are connected yet texts received on the veer do not go to the touchpad and the texts send from the touchpad are met with the connect phone error. What gives?
    Last edited by carguy303; 03/11/2012 at 07:17 PM.
    I had to follow these steps at the bottom of the wiki:

Issues

If you see the unable to connect messaging (MAP) profile then there might be a profile issue on both devices, deleting both preference files (on touchpad and phone) and re-setting up both BlueTooth profiles might fix this, use novaterm on both devices and type:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    mv /var/preferences/com.palm.bluetooth/prefsDB.sl /var/preferences/com.palm.bluetooth/prefsDB.sl.old
    exit
    Once both devices are re-setup, go to the BlueTooth preferences for the Touchpad device on the Phone, select off (turn off) for Mirror SMS, exit preferences, then go back into preferences for the Touchpad device on the Phone, select on (turn on) Mirror SMS.
    If this fixes your issue you can then use novaterm on both devices and remove the .old files:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    rm -rf /var/preferences/com.palm.bluetooth/prefsDB.sl.old
    mount -o remount,ro /
    exit
    Now it should be working?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    An issue that has popped up for me. Minor really,( I can still hear my message ringer on my Veer in the next room) but still an issue. I've stopped getting notifications on my TouchPad when I get a new text. I still get the texts in my Message app, but complete lack of notification. It has worked for the last week or so, then it just stopped notifying me. Not the end of the world, but wondering what I could do to troubleshoot it.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    An issue that has popped up for me. Minor really,( I can still hear my message ringer on my Veer in the next room) but still an issue. I've stopped getting notifications on my TouchPad when I get a new text. I still get the texts in my Message app, but complete lack of notification. It has worked for the last week or so, then it just stopped notifying me. Not the end of the world, but wondering what I could do to troubleshoot it.
    I have not seen an issue with MAP/SMS from a stand point of the notification, what I do have is every once in a while it will not register a SMS mirror, a reboot (touchpad) normally fixes it. But to dig more into it one would have to look at their messages log and see what the unit logs during these times versus the times when it works fine. (but if you have forced muting your logs then you might not have the right information).

If you would like help PM me your log files and I can attempt to look thru them and compare from my devices (my touchpad is 32G using webOS 3.0.5 and my pre plus is using webOS 2.2.4 as I do not have a veer) but map/sms mirroring should be the same.
    I'm not sure if I muted them on my Veer or not, but I'm pretty sure I did on my TouchPad. I'll see if I can't get those off to you later tonight, or tomorrow. Just kind of weird that it would stop with the notifications, but carry on with the mirror.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I want to do this, but I'm not familiarize with Linux commands or Meta-Doctor. :-(
    I'll wait for an easy way to do it.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by edwineel View Post
    I want to do this, but I'm not familiarize with Linux commands or Meta-Doctor. :-(
    I'll wait for an easy way to do it.
    I am not sure, if it will be easier or not when Open webOS 1.0 gets an update they will release a Open Sourced BlueTooth stack, but it will be more complicated I think...

What issues are you having, download the webOS 2.2.4 backup source, follow the install direction for meta doctor, when you hit a wall submit the wall to this thread and I will answer how to overcome the wall.

If you drop by a webOS meetup, I am sure someone can also assist...
    Last edited by John Steffes; 10/06/2012 at 12:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    I don't know how I missed this before. Worked like a charm after I ran the commands at the bottom of the wiki. Thanks so much!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am not sure, if it will be easier or not when Open webOS 1.0 gets an update they will release a Open Sourced BlueTooth stack, but it will be more complicated I think...

What issues are you having, download the webOS 2.2.4 backup source, follow the install direction for meta doctor, when you hit a wall submit the wall to this thread and I will answer how to overcome the wall.

If you drop by a webOS meetup, I am sure someone can also assist...
    Do I need to doctor the phone?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by edwineel View Post
    Do I need to doctor the phone?
    No.

What this process does is use the meta doctor application to build a webOS 2.1.x build directory swap out the webOS 2.1.x tar file with the webOS 2.2.4 rootfs tar file, extract the Bluetooth stack and swap it back... When you are done you will have two tar files, then follow the wiki...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    where I can get the webOS 2.2.4 source for the Veer?