Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sukiyaki
  1.    #1  
    I'm finally switching from sprint to AT&T. I chose the platform over the carrier, even tho it's on life support. I just can't see myself using anything other than webOS. My palm pre has been slow and has developed a crack near the usb door, ironic as my first pre which I had well over a year never did, but now that I'm using the touchstone almost exclusively I get a crack. Anyway...I also eventually plan on getting a pre 3 if they are still on ebay once I get the funds together. If I have both phones can I just switch the sim card back and forth between them? Will I have to have them on different profiles? I've had sprint 10+ years so I've never even used a phone with a sim card, so I'm not entirely sure how they work. I planned on starting up a veer with a different profile anyway as I thought I'd read that the pre will get erased or disabled on the same profile. I wanted to be able to use it over wifi for a time. I apologize if these questions have been answered elsewhere, be gentle. .
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Hello there,

I've got a Pre 3 and Veer and yes you have to have them on different webOS profiles to use them together. I don't want to buy the same apps twice so one of the phones has apps from the app catalog, and the other is installed with my apps by webosquickinstaller.

As for sim card, you can certainly swap between them. For the veer it's very easy, but for pre 3 you need to take its back off, which is not easy to do and I really don't like bend the back so often. Plus I found if using pre 3 without a sim card, its time will not sync with network so would always be wrong. It doesn't seem to happen on the veer. My strategy is order another prepaid sim card and have both phone with sim card installed. When you need to use phone that doesn't use your primary sim card, you can keep the primary phone on and set it to forward calls to this non primary sim card phone so that you can still receive calls from your primary number.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response! Hopefully there will be no hiccups with my order. When I placed it, it said the phone was back ordered and would be available tomorrow. Once I ordered, it said not available. I've gotten an order confirmation, but I've never used amazon wireless to place an order before. ::crossing fingers::::

Once I get a pre 3, I will probably use that almost exclusively, but I like the idea of having the small veer to tuck in an evening bag or carry to workout.
    Ur ordered one tonight i disassembled mine because it was bricked ahahah have fun with it amazing phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    I'm finally switching from sprint to AT&T. I chose the platform over the carrier, even tho it's on life support. I just can't see myself using anything other than webOS.
    And Sprint is not on life support? Only Verizon is not on it.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by addiarmadar View Post
    And Sprint is not on life support? Only Verizon is not on it.
    Yeah, I looked at the phones sprint had. The only thing I would have considered other than a webos phone was the blackberry 9810 or the new Samsung note, which they don't carry. They have no recent blackberry phones at all and have seen to have thrown their hat totally in the ring for iphone. I've received an email from the office of Dan Hesse asking why I've changed providers, I fully intend to tell them it's because they would not support this platform, along with a few other gripes.

I know this phone is old news for many of you, ,but I'm still going to give my first impressions. My phone came Monday. I hadn't been enjoying my pre for a while since it was so slow, but I didn't want to give up webos. I only did the over clocking, once in the beginning, but it used more battery so I put it back to stock. If I had known it would be so much faster and easier to type on than my old Palm Pre, I would have jumped ship a long time ago. I thought the screen would be more difficult to navigate, but it really hasn't been an issue. Sites seem to load faster. Also some apps. I used forums a lot, and it was slow on my pre. I don't know if it is the faster processor, ,more memory in the phone or the at&t network, but this program flies now. I still want a pre 3 tho. My main gripe has been the gps navigator. It wouldn't load at all at first, then it wouldn't lock on to my location. Searching this forum, I'd read to turn on data roaming, that didn't help, then I read to use google to locate and not gps. Now it seems to work each time. It's too soon to tell. Sprint GPS just worked. Inside, outside, didn't matter. I still have problems with the capitalone site. On my pre and also on the veer it wont load, gives html errors but the full site works fine. On the touchpad, the mobile site can be viewed and it tries to default to it each time. I have no clue what's going on. I can't load my banking site on the veer which worked fine on my pre. I was surprised that quick office and some other apps I'd downloaded on my touchpad ported over. I didn't have an option to download it on my pre with out purchasing it again, and I didn't use it enough to justify that.

One thing I'm really excited about is how well it works with my bluetooth speakerphone. I was able to pick up a used blueant s4 for 25 bucks, and it paired with my pre but I couldn't do voice commands and tho pandora played over it, the navigation wouldn't. The navigation comes over with the veer, which is why I'm considering keeping the navigation. I wish there was an alternative to the att nav, I don't really use it often enough to justify 10 bucks. I can also use the voice dial features with the speakerphone, which I couldn't before because of the pre limitations. If I could get the phone to pair with my touchpad so that I could text from it, I'd be very happy. I don't want to do the 2.2.3 update yet.

I had added the buttah patch and another one that was supposed to have helped make the touchscreen smoother/ more responsive, it actually made it worse, so I removed them again and also the tap ripple. Now I'm getting a pretty good screen response.

I was really worried about call quality with at&t since everyone I speak with on their network sounds horrible, but so far so good. Even tho the form factor is smaller, since the mic for the veer is on the slider, I really have more distance from ear piece to mic than I did on the pre, which I like.

The only thing I have left to do is get a new bluetooth headset, a decent theme and some new wallpapers, and I'm all set.
    Last edited by Sukiyaki; 02/29/2012 at 01:21 PM.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Glad you are enjoying it so far!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    NDrive in the App catalog is a very good turn by turn navigator. Costs is $25 but it's a one time fee.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    NDrive in the App catalog is a very good turn by turn navigator. Costs is $25 but it's a one time fee.
    Does ndrive use a lot of data? That's the other thing...I'm on 3 GB per month w/att, I normally never went over 2 GB w/ sprint, usually under 1, but it makes me nervous not being unlimited. The at&t rep didn't know if the data used for the att navigator was separate or if it came out of the 3GB.
    nDrive will take up some space on the device but no data that I know of (just make sure maps are downloaded over WiFi). Stores maps on device, true navigation app.

Sure the nDrive users can let you know how much space the maps take up, I remember hearing it's pretty hefty though.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    PreJim - is ndrive still working for you on the att veer? In the app store, a lot of reviewers claim that it used to work but starting in feb 2012 ndrive has problems using the gps and/or crashes on startup. Hard to tell from reviewer comments if problems are specific to pre2 or not. Thanks!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Nope....got Ndrive yesterday on my Veer....crashes on startup!
  13.    #13  
    Hopefully NDrive gets fixed. If it's still on sale I'll get it when I get paid. I'd rather a one time fee of 25.00 than an on going fee of 10/month. I'd seen the recent reviews also. I'm back to att nav not being able to locate me. It's weird because apps like where and YP mobile find me right away, and att nav STILL can't find me.