Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    I accidently dropped my phone in my drink. I got it to turn back on but its just got a black screen with the HP logo.

I have put it in rice to try and draw the moisture out. Any further suggestions? I love my veer so much. Super sad face its not working.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    putting it in rice will not help anything to dry out nor keep salt from clumping. Rice only absorbs surrounding moisture at a high tempature . The rice thing is pointless. So unless you've got your phone over medium high heat with rice and sealed your not doing anything.
  3.    #3  
    suggestions? I've now just got a black screen and it won't turn on
    What kind of drink was it? You could disassemble it using the guide here:

Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals

Then carefully dry it with a hairdryer and try to put it back together, but I doubt it will work.
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Use a hair dryer.....after you take it apart

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    let it air dry for at least a couple days, before ANY attempts are made to power on you device. Doing so ahead of time increases your chance of an electrical short at time of powering on. I've dropped phones in the pool before, let them air dry Completely two three days later they have powered on, other times they don't. If you don't remove all moisture before powering on chances are its gonna fry something, then its really over, but chances are its already a goner. Look at it this way, you can shop for a new webOS phone! (DOH!)
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    We had a murder a few years ago in Kingston. A family was driven into a canal and left for dead. Sad family honor killing.
    Anyways when all was recovered 1 of the 4 phones powered up ok after several hours under water, but they never released the brand or type. There is always hope.
    You can put a piece of bread in a zip lock bag and stick your phone in it. That should take more moisture away. Seriously it works. The issue may be un-repairable though. Sorry man.

--Sherard
    At least take the battery out ASAP. The guide Herrie posted will show you how... then put it on a warm and dry place for days (the longer the better) and try again... if still no reaction, you could try to swap the battery. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $those$ $are$ $the$ $same$ $batteries$ $as$ $in$ $the$ $Pre$(-/+/$2$).
    If there are still Veers around for 50$, you might try to get one, just in case...
    Let it dry out a couple of days. Then power it from your computer via USB. See if that brings it back.
    Good luck.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Once dunked already, I've had luck with giving the phone, without the battery, a quick bath in alcohol, then a day or so in the sunlight. The alcohol absorbs the water and it evaporates faster. Not too long or it might soften some of the glues or paints inside.
    For those of us old enough... makes me miss pagers.

So many people thrown in a pool with their pager, yank the battery let it dry for a day or two, good as new.

Personally had it happen to me first week I had a new pager. Had a cousin that accidentally washer her fiances, used the toaster oven to dry it out.... okay sorry back on topic.

@ OP Sadly you may have done more damage by trying to power it up what seems like shortly after dropping it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Put it in a bag of rice.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    W00sh likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $those$ $are$ $the$ $same$ $batteries$ $as$ $in$ $the$ $Pre$(-/+/$2$).
    The battery is different, I know that because that was one of my considerations on whether to choose a Veer or Pre 2 (looked at a Veer battery replacement.)
    Assuming I wasn't hallucinating, the Veer battery has the gold contacts on the flat side, whereas the Pre/Pixi/Centro batteries have them on the edge.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Open it up, put it in front of a warm breeze (a fan beside air vent/radiator), and walk away. Come back in 12 hours or so and flip the parts and shake them, walk away. Do this for two days or so and enjoy the silence because you have a good excuse for once on why you didn't answer the phone!
    Looking forward to your post in a few days!
    You plug your phone in?
  17.    #17  
    tried the rice then put it in the oven on low heat for a little bit. Now it will turn on but the touch screen won't work and after charging it on the touchstone all day it still only has 20% battery. will try pulling it apart with the posted instructions.

for Herrie it was just water and it was only in it for a few seconds.
  18.    #18  
    pulled it apart, inside was all dry. It will turn on but the touch screen is gone. In desperation I will try to get it fix but I think I'll just buy a new phone.
    stopped in, hoping a miracle had occured.
    You plug your phone in?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    For those of us old enough... makes me miss pagers.

So many people thrown in a pool with their pager, yank the battery let it dry for a day or two, good as new.

Personally had it happen to me first week I had a new pager. Had a cousin that accidentally washer her fiances, used the toaster oven to dry it out.... okay sorry back on topic.

@ OP Sadly you may have done more damage by trying to power it up what seems like shortly after dropping it.
    Yeah pagers were great....swam with mine once...worked better after it dried....I use to throw it on the table every nite..missed a couple of times and it bounced back for more....sadly smartphones are weak

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast