Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I finally decided that my Sprint PRE needed to be replaced and bought a used Veer off Ebay for a trial. Why I waited so long, I don't know. the Veer makes WEBOS do what it always should have done. No lag.

    I'm trying to decide if ATT or Verizon will be my next network, so I got a GO sim & put in the Veer. $50 for unlimited calls, text & data. Except after a day or two, I realized the data doesn't work, only wifi. Took it back to the ATT store and after watching the lady try to pull the battery, realized she had no clue what this phone was. After she made a bunch of calls, the phone is considered 4G and won't work for data. Makes no sense to me. I realize I won't get 4G speeds, but 3G should work and when I bought the sim/pkg, they said I had to have data because it was a smartphone.

    Is anyone using a Veer on the GO network and getting data? Thanks!
  2. #2  
    I found this on a popular search engine in a few seconds:
    Veer Prepaid GoPhone?

    hope that helps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    I found this on a popular search engine in a few seconds:
    Veer Prepaid GoPhone?

    hope that helps.
    Thanks, I did see that, but the one guy who appears to be from an ATT store kind of left it hanging with no resolution. Seems I'm stuck with no data at this point. If they had told me that when I purchased the plan, it would have saved me $25.
  4. #4  
    Get your Veer unlocked (search for that in the forum), and take it to Red Pocket for $60 or Straight Talk for $45. They are ATT MVNOs.

    Here's discussion about Straight Talk.
    $45 per month for UNLIMITED Minutes, Text AND 3G data on AT&T/TMobile coverage! Straight Talk SIM Prepaid || BYOD

    Or pony up the $25 for data plan with ATT Go.
  5. #5  
    I just did the Straight Talk option this week...moved from a Pre2 on Sprint to a Veer on ST. I've gone from 100-200 kb/s download speeds to 5 mb!!!! All for significately less $$$. It requires you buy a Nokia E71 with an unlocked sim...(refurb $49) right now. Be warned.....the customer service is ..... is .....can't find the words
  6. jc-Treo's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzeppi View Post
    I just did the Straight Talk option this week...moved from a Pre2 on Sprint to a Veer on ST. I've gone from 100-200 kb/s download speeds to 5 mb!!!! All for significately less $$$. It requires you buy a Nokia E71 with an unlocked sim...(refurb $49) right now. Be warned.....the customer service is ..... is .....can't find the words
    Good info.

    Can you tell me why you need to buy the Nokia E71? It looks like I could just get a straight talk SIM and put it in my unlocked Pre3?
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post

    Or pony up the $25 for data plan with ATT Go.
    I already paid the $. The veer is blocked from data on the GO network because it is 4G. Apparently, you must use a 3G phone or it won't work. Of course, when the Veer was launched, all the criticism was that it wasn't really 3G, but maybe 3G+. Irony? perhaps!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzeppi View Post
    I just did the Straight Talk option this week...moved from a Pre2 on Sprint to a Veer on ST. I've gone from 100-200 kb/s download speeds to 5 mb!!!! All for significately less $$$. It requires you buy a Nokia E71 with an unlocked sim...(refurb $49) right now. Be warned.....the customer service is ..... is .....can't find the words
    No need to buy the Nokia phone now.
  9. suprolla's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #9  
    I've been using my veer on a go phone plan. I use the$2 unlimited, with data feature, and been using the data exclusively. Its not HSDPA fast, but I get about 500kbps. I'm in houston and supposedly covered in the 4g blanket. Wheni was in florida recently, I was seeing 1.5Mbps.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

    VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    I already paid the $. The veer is blocked from data on the GO network because it is 4G. Apparently, you must use a 3G phone or it won't work. Of course, when the Veer was launched, all the criticism was that it wasn't really 3G, but maybe 3G+. Irony? perhaps!
    Veers are not blocked from the go phone network. The $25 per month smartphone data add on feature works fine for go phone accounts and their sim cards. I've used my go phopne sim in a Pre 3 and a Veer (no hspa+ but 3G data speeds).
    Both work fine. Are you sure your veer's network settings are not mucked up?

    Since you've added the $25 smartphone data plan already, try doctoring your veer then inserting the go phone sim into it and activating.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Veers are not blocked from the go phone network. The $25 per month smartphone data add on feature works fine for go phone accounts and their sim cards. I've used my go phopne sim in a Pre 3 and a Veer (no hspa+ but 3G data speeds).
    Both work fine. Are you sure your veer's network settings are not mucked up?

    Since you've added the $25 smartphone data plan already, try doctoring your veer then inserting the go phone sim into it and activating.
    Thanks for the info. I will try that today, but the ATT rep (hardly a definitive source) relayed the info from their tech people that the phone would not work on the GO network with data since it was 4G. I argued that it was ludicrous since it showed the 3G symbol and pushed that the network info appeared to be incorrect in that the phone reports invalid APN settings. I got no where with them and I have no knowledge of what these settings should be and if she tried to pull the battery one more time I was going to get really angry!
  12.    #12  
    Well, I Dr'd the phone and half way through the Dr I realized that if I didn't have data, I wouldn't be able to activate the phone and sure enough, that's what happened. Still no data access. It asks if I want to manually input the network settings, but I have no clue what they should be. They default cingular.

    I'll bypass the login and get the phone working again via wifi. It just seems logical to me that if I have the 3G logo, I should be able to access 3G data.
  13. #13  
    Ioah.....why no need anymore??? The Nokia phone comes with a sim that is not locked to the phone....from what I read this is generally not the case. I'm getting full HSPA+ symbol and speeds!!!!
  14. jc-Treo's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jezzeppi View Post
    Ioah.....why no need anymore??? The Nokia phone comes with a sim that is not locked to the phone....from what I read this is generally not the case. I'm getting full HSPA+ symbol and speeds!!!!
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Straight Talk, as of Feb 2 I think, is selling unlocked SIM cards directly. No need to get a Nokia and swap out the SIM.

    I just ordered one and will give it a go in my Pre 3 or Veer when it arrives....

    (From what I have read, they will cut off your data if you exceed around 2GB/month or a few hundred Meg/day.)
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
  15. #15  
    I just checked the site quick....i dont see a sim only option
  16. #16  
    Found it via an Article....seems to be a good deal..............anyone want two brand new Nokia E71s ???


    Shop | Straight Talk
  17. #17  
    Why not just go monthly with ATT? You get to use all the services and it runs like a charm.
    Forget all this doctoring and restarting and 3g and 4g and data cards.
    There won't be another phone like the Veer in our lifetime, you may as well enjoy it while you can. Yes it will cost a little more monthly but its worth it not to have all the headaches. You want your phone to work and work fast and thats what the Veer does on ATT. Go for it!
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

    Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
  18. #18  
    Straight talk is H+ speeds....no contract crap and everything works on ATTs network. No roaming on Tmo however.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but Straight Talk, as of Feb 2 I think, is selling unlocked SIM cards directly. No need to get a Nokia and swap out the SIM.

    I just ordered one and will give it a go in my Pre 3 or Veer when it arrives....

    (From what I have read, they will cut off your data if you exceed around 2GB/month or a few hundred Meg/day.)
    Curious if you received your sim card and how it works?

    Thanks
  20. jc-Treo's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Curious if you received your sim card and how it works?

    Thanks
    Yes I did. Seems to work just fine. Getting the same HSPA+ speeds I saw with my at&t SIM.

    From what I can tell, there is no roaming. Which I guess means if you are out of the AT&T network, the phone won't roam on tmobile.

    One problem I could foresee- If you have not already create a Palm Profile, you will need to swap in an AT&T SIM. The way data on Straighttalk works is you need to change the apn (done in phone preferences) before it will work. Unless you go through devmode and skip the profile step, the phone needs a data connection.

    I also ported my AT&T number to google voice.

    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions