Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    OK - I have tried hard, really hard, to love my Veer and make it work for me.

But, the reality is - it simply doesn't do what I need it to do. Specifically, the unreliable and short term calendar sync (google) is a deal killer for me. As a busy, working mom of 2, with several major volunteer commitments, I have to know where I need to be and what time. I have tried deleting and re-installing my calendar account, but that doesn't work for me because the events that I have added directly to the phone to occur more than 2 mos. out then have to be re-added, as well. Frankly, I need to know what I am doing in April and May today! I tried "doctoring", but I can't stand the uncertainty of not knowing what I am doing.

Bottom line - I need a phone whose calendar works. Half my events for this week are not even on my calendar on my phone.

Problem - i am stuck in a 2 year contract with AT&T (which I hate on so many levels). I want to go back to sprint (where I was a happy centro customer for 4 years). But, I can't afford to pay the ETA and buy a new phone. I'm hoping recoup a little of this unplanned expense by selling my veer.

So - what's the best way to go about it? what is a fair price? Anything else I should know or be concerned about?

many thanks.
    Open a thread in marketplace to sell your veer. Look on ebay to see the current price.

<<Staff Note: you need a 50 post minimum to sell in the Marketplace forum>>

I love the Veer. If you want to keep the phone, and you are asking for help on your calendar issue, see instructions below:

Doctoring will not help. Switch your calendar to google calendar and then you need to install "Google Sync Behaviors Patch" which will change the defaults to 1 year back and 4 years forward. If you have google calendar already, you will need to toggle it off before you install the patch and then toggle it back on and your history and 4 years forward will show.

The calendar patch is found in Preware. If you did not install Preware on your phone, you will first install webos quick install 4.3.1 on your mac or pc (see thread below for how to do this). Then webos quick install will let you install preware on your veer. Preware has all the patches including the calendar one you wish for. Incidentally webos quick install has them too so you can skip installing Preware if you just want that one patch.

http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck...-v4-4-0-a.html
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/29/2012 at 10:54 AM.
    dadueler likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I appreciate your response about preware. I have not installed it, but someone else suggested this when I first noticed this issue shortly after I got the phone. I sort of remember trying, but not managing to actually get this accomplished.

I will give it one more try when I have a few quiet moments.

I guess my frustration, in part, lies in the fact that I/we/you should not have to install a patch to get something to function correctly the first time. Not syncing more than two mos out in a PITA, but half of my appointments for this week are not even showing up, for crying out loud!

I do appreciate your response, and I hope to make it work. In the meantime, I'll price them out on ebay. I am just ready to have a reliable calendar that works straight out of the box. It was difficult enough switching from outlook (and DateBk on my treo then centro) to google, but it's working for me, except on the phone.

any other suggestions and comments are most welcome.
  4.    #4  
    ok - just searched back and realized I had first posted about this in june! someone directed me to the link bluenote provided, which then sent me to something else.

i stopped reading when it said uninstall "luna". i have no idea what that is or where it is.

should a phone be this difficult?

my frustration level is beyond the tolerate level.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparetime View Post
    ok - just searched back and realized I had first posted about this in june! someone directed me to the link bluenote provided, which then sent me to something else.

i stopped reading when it said uninstall "luna". i have no idea what that is or where it is.

should a phone be this difficult?

my frustration level is beyond the tolerate level.
    Hi THere,

Sorry to hear that your calendaring is not working as you want it too. I am curious, do you use Google Calendar on the web? What does that calendar look like? Does it have the events that the phone does not? I have an unpatched Pre2 and my wife has an unpatched Veer and we put in long term events all the time, plus share multiple other group calendars that span into the distant future.. I guess I am not sure why this is happening, because it does not happen to me. I remember hearing something would go wrong with the new phones, but it hasn't.
    dadueler likes this.
    I wrote out the instructions for you. You do not have to do anything with Luna.
    This process will take about 20 minutes. I've walked two people through it so if it doesn't work for you, we can set a time to do this by chat.But try to do the instructions below first.

ps. take a deep breath, pet the cat, drink some colored flavored beverage, turn on some nice music when you do this and before you know it, it will be done.

1. In the just type box on your Veer, you will type:
    webos20090606

After you type that message above, then you will see an app appear called dev mode. You will open the app and press "on." Ignore the stuff about the password and do not enter anything into the password box. After it turns on, swipe the card away. After it is on, you are now in "dev mode." That will enable you to add and take off patches at will.

On your computer, you will click the link in the thread I referenced above (i copied it also below) and go to the first post and find the link that says "download here" and press it. You will now be downloading this program called webosquickinstall. Save it to your desktop or somewhere that you know how to find it.
    Congratulations, you now have webosquickinstall and are well on your way to having preware and putting on patches and apps at will and taking them off at will.

3. You will also click the "java" in that same post right after the "download here" link and you will install java. If you already have java 1.6 on your pc or mac you can skip this step. You might already have it because many programs on the web need you to have java but check to make sure.

If you are on a pc skip this paragraph below.
    If you are on mac, after you install java, run /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

4. Now you are ready to use webosquick install.
    (special note for this particular patch: On your phone, if you already have google accounts in your calendar, you will have to go into the accounts app, toggle off calendar for your google accounts. Then you will do the steps below to apply the patch from webosquick install. Then toggle the calendars on, one google account at a time. If you don't yet have google calendars, you can apply the patch first and then set up google calendar.)

5. Plug your phone into the computer and press "charge". Double click on the webosquick install program. It will come up and if you follow its instructions, it will install novacom drivers for you.

6. Now you are ready to add any patches. With your phone still plugged into your pc, click on the bottom right hand button in webosquick install where it has the blue globe. Up will come a window with a bunch of applications to install. Find Preware and install it onto your phone.

7. Now open up preware on your Veer. Wait for it to load fully, it needs to download the list of patches and applications that you will be able to install. Find the section that says Available Packages and click on it. This will give you a list of all the apps and patches you can install. Click on Patches. Then click on Calendar. Find the patch you need (Google sync behaviors patch) and install it. Don't forget that you have already turned off calendars on your Veer account. You will now have to go back to your Calendar on your Veer and open up accounts and turn back on the google account.
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/29/2012 at 10:54 AM.
    dadueler and allstarkenyan like this.
    My quick check of eBay says $50-$70 - it's not exactly a hot item now. If that's less than you want, you may want to do as bluenote suggests and make the Veer more useful with homebrew first and test drive that for a while.
    Hi,

A new version of webos quick install is coming this weekend. If you did not start this process yet, just hold off until it comes.

If you did start the process you are fine. I just edited my steps to make sure you can use either the old webos quick install or the new one so just follow my steps above and you will be fine.
    Last edited by bluenote; 01/27/2012 at 08:10 AM.
    I use the calendar on my Veer with no problems. I add events to it by using the phone and by going to my Gmail. I don't have any patches or anything so I don't think you should go that way.
    As far as selling the Veer you won't get much for it, only goes for about $70 new.
    Stay with the Veer we love having you Lol.
    Maybe try to find some WebOS people who live near you and you can have a meet-up and they can help you with some issues or Preware.
    Good luck!
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Should be
    webos20090606
  11.    #11  
    for the STEP by STEP instructions... as soon as things quiet down at my house, i will try this out.

the problem with the calendar is two-fold...
    first - it randomly syncs. an appointment will be on the phone one day and gone the next. This was the case with appointments all this week. they were on my desktop (google calendar) and my ipad, but G O N E from the phone
    next - if you have an event scheduled for more than 2 (or maybe it is 3) mos from this date on your google calendar, it will NOT sync. If you add it on the phone, it will sync back to the google calendar. the problem arises when HP support tells you to just delete google account and re-add it. the event is, in fact, on google, but not on the phone if it's more than 3 mos out. sorry... but what good is a calendar if it can't tell me what i am supposed to be doing this summer. I have spent countless hours on chat with HP (as recently as yesterday) and they have confirmed that this is, in fact, by design. (obviously a busy mom should have been consulted... no offense - just saying...)

i'll report back.

but.. i gotta tell you... $70 - 80 bucks would offset that ETF, and if bluenote's instructions don't work, i'll be selling it.
  12.    #12  
    just after i typed that message above, i added an appointment to my google calendar on my desktop computer.

i hit sync now on my phone, not once, not twice, but 3 times. the event is still not on my phone.

sell or keep? see why i am frustrated?
  13.    #13  
    in fact... none of my monday appointments are on my phone; and tues, wed, and thurs are all missing events as well.
    ALL accounts are set to sync (yes - i checked)
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    The results you are seeking will not happen until you follow the instructions previously posted. You need to install WebOS Quick Install onto your computer, put the Veer in dev mode, connect the Veer to that computer so WebOS Quick Install recognizes the Veer and install Preware. Then you have access to the essential google sync patches to fix the calendar issues. Don't give up so easily.
    dadueler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehosey2 View Post
    The results you are seeking will not happen until you follow the instructions previously posted. You need to install WebOS Quick Install onto your computer, put the Veer in dev mode, connect the Veer to that computer so WebOS Quick Install recognizes the Veer and install Preware. Then you have access to the essential google sync patches to fix the calendar issues. Don't give up so easily.
    well said, just work with it to get the customjzation you want. webos is way easier to modify to one's needs than most other devices thanks to the hardworking community, you may discover other patches you like.
    dadueler likes this.
    Awesome posts, as far as I'm concerned, learning to use preware is no harder than using itunes, and less evil... It's our burden as webOS users that we grow to know (some) of the inner workings of our phones...

That said, I sync multiple calendars (several google and one exchange) to my Touchpad, Veer, and Pre 3... never had any problems, and never had to install the google sync patches, they all work just as I expect them to. Not sure what sparetime's issue is, but I would recommend trying the sync patches as suggested. Also, preware can seem daunting, but is highly highly rewarding. Once overclocked and with logging set to minimal, the Veer absolutely flies, and is one of the most rewarding and responsive phones I've ever used...
    Sparetime here we go. Troubleshooting:

Open your calendar on the Veer.
    Click the drop down box and the click on preferences & accounts.
    Scroll down and see if under the accounts section it has google and then scroll down further and see if it has your default calendar as your gmail address.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Link in my posts above updated to reflect the newest version of webos quick install.

Good luck, let us know how you are doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I wrote out the instructions for you. You do not have to do anything with Luna.
    This process will take about 20 minutes. I've walked two people through it so if it doesn't work for you, we can set a time to do this by chat.But try to do the instructions below first.

ps. take a deep breath, pet the cat, drink some colored flavored beverage, turn on some nice music when you do this and before you know it, it will be done.

webos20090606

After you type that message above, then you will see an app appear called dev mode. You will open the app and press "on." Ignore the stuff about the password and do not enter anything into the password box. After it turns on, swipe the card away. After it is on, you are now in "dev mode." That will enable you to add and take off patches at will.

On your computer, you will click the link in the thread I referenced above (i copied it also below) and go to the first post and find the link that says "download here" and press it. You will now be downloading this program called webosquickinstall. Save it to your desktop or somewhere that you know how to find it.
    Congratulations, you now have webosquickinstall and are well on your way to having preware and putting on patches and apps at will and taking them off at will.

3. You will also click the "java" in that same post right after the "download here" link and you will install java. If you already have java 1.6 on your pc or mac you can skip this step. You might already have it because many programs on the web need you to have java but check to make sure.

If you are on a pc skip this paragraph below.
    If you are on mac, after you install java, run /Applications/Utilities/Java/Java Preferences. Then click and drag Jave SE 6 to top of both list, and exit the program. This will set Java 1.6 as the default version to use.

4. Now you are ready to use webosquick install.
    (special note for this particular patch: On your phone, if you already have google accounts in your calendar, you will have to go into the accounts app, toggle off calendar for your google accounts. Then you will do the steps below to apply the patch from webosquick install. Then toggle the calendars on, one google account at a time. If you don't yet have google calendars, you can apply the patch first and then set up google calendar.)

5. Plug your phone into the computer and press "charge". Double click on the webosquick install program. It will come up and if you follow its instructions, it will install novacom drivers for you.

6. Now you are ready to add any patches. With your phone still plugged into your pc, click on the bottom right hand button in webosquick install where it has the blue globe. Up will come a window with a bunch of applications to install. Find Preware and install it onto your phone.

7. Now open up preware on your Veer. Wait for it to load fully, it needs to download the list of patches and applications that you will be able to install. Find the section that says Available Packages and click on it. This will give you a list of all the apps and patches you can install. Click on Patches. Then click on Calendar. Find the patch you need (Google sync behaviors patch) and install it. Don't forget that you have already turned off calendars on your Veer account. You will now have to go back to your Calendar on your Veer and open up accounts and turn back on the google account.
    Responses like bluenotes' are why I'm still rockin' Webos...
  20.    #20  
    Thanks to ALL of you who responded offering suggestions and very detailed instructions on how to make this phone work for me.

I am now on my 3rd Veer, but unfortunately I'm not even going to activate it - just going to sell it.

Many, many thanks for all your patient assistance and guidance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast