webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Veer not not recognized w/ PC?
Veer not not recognized w/ PC?

Old 01/23/2012, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys,

Just got my Peer and I have to say, I am impressed with this little fella! But I have a problem;

I am using my Veer on a T-mobile network (unlocked using Dogber1's guide) and I'd like to install preware on it. Problem is, my computer's not recognizing the phone!

I am running Win7 (64-bit) and every time I connect the Veer to it via USB, the PC makes a ding to let me know that it was connected (and that the Veer is charging), but the Veer itself has not shown an option to show itself as a HDD on the PC, and does not give any options to just charge/run USB mode in the Veer.

I figured that I'd post here instead of software because I'd sure like the Veer to be recognized as a HDD as well, to import music or any documents stored on my PC outside of just installing PreWare.

So far, I've:
- Connected directly to the USB ports, disconnected everything else
- Installed/Re-installed the Novacom Drivers
- Run WebOS doctor (prior to the unlock),
- Attempted using WebOS quick Install: States that there is nothing connected
- Reset the Veer while it is connected to the PC
- Reset the Veer while it is disconnected from the PC
- Reset the Veer while sitting upside down during a full moon
- Attempted to connect the Veer while in dev mode - in fact, I believe it is still in dev mode
- Reset the Veer all over again in the steps described while in Dev Mode

The only thing I can think of is that the PC is telling me that the R-ACM driver is not installed for the Veer. Do I need to concern myself with this error message? I've been scouring the net to find a solution and no luck!

Last edited by DansVeer; 01/23/2012 at 05:21 PM.
DansVeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

One mistake I made the other day was after I doctored, I forgot to put it into developer mode (type webos20090606 into just type). I'm pretty sure webos quick install won't see the veer if it's not in developer mode.

Other than that, could be something to do with 64bit??

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (IT Crowd) - Refering to the pc.

Not sure why it wouldn't give you the option of usb mode.

Good luck.
Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for posting!! I just got a new Veer over the weekend with the intention of first putting home brew on in and then was going to try and get the 2.2.4 build so it would sync with my touchpad. Anyhow, I am having that exact same problem, almost exactly!

I put my Veer into developers mode and then connected to PC, got USB error "Unknown device" digging into it a bit further I find "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've tried this on three different PCs, with the same results on all of them. I made sure to directly connect to the PC or Laptop and not through a hub. I've disconnected all other USB devices, I've uninstalled then reinstall the driver in device manager, disabled it, reneabled it, I've tried going into and out of Developer mode, I did a complete Erase Apps and Data, I tried to find a USB driver download for it, nothing worked. Phone works fine and I can get downloads, I was able to update it with the latest upgrade, install apps, use GPS, etc.

Add my thanks to the OP's to the problem if anyone has any ideas.
SteveF101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benh View Post
One mistake I made the other day was after I doctored, I forgot to put it into developer mode (type webos20090606 into just type). I'm pretty sure webos quick install won't see the veer if it's not in developer mode.

Other than that, could be something to do with 64bit??

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" (IT Crowd) - Refering to the pc.

Not sure why it wouldn't give you the option of usb mode.

Good luck.
Ben
I have no idea - oddly enough, I figured it'd work just fine because I was able to unlock it using Dogber1's guide (which requires a connection to the PC) and the maddening part is that the PC recognizes the connection (again, it makes a "ding" to let me know it is connected) and the Veer can charge using that connection!

I have two options now; I can re-run WebOS Doctor (as I did that only prior to unlocking the phone) or try to run it in recovery mode to see if the PC - at the very least - recognizes the Veer as an HDD.

If anyone has any idea about what's going on, please let me know! I want to use my Veer as a smartphone, not just as a featurephone!
Old 01/23/2012, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansVeer View Post
I have no idea - oddly enough, I figured it'd work just fine because I was able to unlock it using Dogber1's guide (which requires a connection to the PC) and the maddening part is that the PC recognizes the connection (again, it makes a "ding" to let me know it is connected) and the Veer can charge using that connection!

I have two options now; I can re-run WebOS Doctor (as I did that only prior to unlocking the phone) or try to run it in recovery mode to see if the PC - at the very least - recognizes the Veer as an HDD.

If anyone has any idea about what's going on, please let me know! I want to use my Veer as a smartphone, not just as a featurephone!

Type #*3386633# and press the call button.
It will say Developer Mode with a button on / off.
Make sure it says On.
Now your phone will ask for reboot and hence do the same.
Once rebooted you should be able to connect it to your system.
devil.insulted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2012, 11:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
Make sure it says On.
On mine, I was able to get the Developer Mode On using the #*3386633# you suggested, but it didn't ask for a reboot. I waited about 5 mins to make sure it wasn't waiting on something and then I did a restart by going into Device Info and selecting Restart from the Reset options. After it booted up, I tried to connect to my system, I still get the same error as before, in device mgr it still shows error "Unknown Device.... Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

Thanks a lot for the tip, any other suggestions? Believe me when I say, it would be GREATLY appreciated!!
Old 01/25/2012, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Since webOs 2.x you don't need to reboot the devices anymore to enable developer mode. It works more or less instantly.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also have problems with connecting my Veer to a Windows 7 x64 pc. If I need to connect it to a pc (e.g. for the 2.2.4 update), I use an older Vista pc and no problems at all.

@Garfonso: Although my Veer doesn't prompt me to reboot after enabling developer mode, I have the impression that I still need to reboot before it actually wants to work well with my PC.
elian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elian View Post
I also have problems with connecting my Veer to a Windows 7 x64 pc. If I need to connect it to a pc (e.g. for the 2.2.4 update), I use an older Vista pc and no problems at all.

@Garfonso: Although my Veer doesn't prompt me to reboot after enabling developer mode, I have the impression that I still need to reboot before it actually wants to work well with my PC.
I've tried it on several W7 systems, both x86 and x64 same results. I can throw a build of Vista on one of my spare systems and see if that helps. After you got it connected to Vista, did it then work on W7? I would still want to connect to different W7 boxes to be able to transfer files around.

Thanks!!
Old 01/25/2012, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Make sure it says On.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elian View Post

Yeah, I got mine to Dev mode no problem, but I guess it has to do with the OS - which is silly considering that the Veer came out May of 2011 . . ..

Now it means I may have to run a Linux distro to get my Veer to connect to the PC as I only have a Win7 (and 8 Beta) machine . . .. (which I think is really weird since I was able to run a few other programs through the PC while unlocking it)
Old 01/25/2012, 11:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Can you post a screenshot of your porblem may be that will be helpful
devil.insulted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2012, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF101 View Post
I've tried it on several W7 systems, both x86 and x64 same results. I can throw a build of Vista on one of my spare systems and see if that helps. After you got it connected to Vista, did it then work on W7? I would still want to connect to different W7 boxes to be able to transfer files around.

Thanks!!
No, I don't believe using it on Vista changed anything for me on Win7.
elian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Can you post a screenshot of your porblem may be that will be helpful
Hmm, the only problem is that well, there's not really a point as there isn't a specific detail to point out to/that can be shown via picture; precisely because there's not an error message indication on the Veer, the laptop makes a "ding" to indicate a connection and the Veer recharges as normal connected via USB; it's as if the Veer works well, the PC works well . . . but any other connection past a power source isn't made; the problem isn't that there's a an incorrect reaction to the Veer being connected, there is NO reaction (hence my inability to capture it on camera).

I am somewhat dubious on this, but I am seriously hoping that an update of some sort is in the works (I know 2.2.3 is being updated[sideloaded?] to it, but I don't think I can partake what with the lack of USB connection and all) that will resolve this issue.

. . . and I will also try running a Linux distro (Ubuntu) through a USB stick this weekend and see if that resolves the issues I'm having.
Old 01/26/2012, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansVeer View Post
Hmm, the only problem is that well, there's not really a point as there isn't a specific detail to point out to/that can be shown via picture; precisely because there's not an error message indication on the Veer, the laptop makes a "ding" to indicate a connection and the Veer recharges as normal connected via USB; it's as if the Veer works well, the PC works well . . . but any other connection past a power source isn't made; the problem isn't that there's a an incorrect reaction to the Veer being connected, there is NO reaction (hence my inability to capture it on camera).

I am somewhat dubious on this, but I am seriously hoping that an update of some sort is in the works (I know 2.2.3 is being updated[sideloaded?] to it, but I don't think I can partake what with the lack of USB connection and all) that will resolve this issue.

. . . and I will also try running a Linux distro (Ubuntu) through a USB stick this weekend and see if that resolves the issues I'm having.
Well here's another wrinkle, I just got another Veer from Ebay (2.1, darn!) and it works fine, no problems at all. I think what is wrong is that we need new equivelent to BIOS the firmware that communicates with the computer. Mine (ours) must have gotten corruputed somehow when we were connecting or attempting to in Developers mode. Anyone know to reload that part when a USB connection isn't present?
Old 01/26/2012, 05:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveF101 View Post
Well here's another wrinkle, I just got another Veer from Ebay (2.1, darn!) and it works fine, no problems at all. I think what is wrong is that we need new equivelent to BIOS the firmware that communicates with the computer. Mine (ours) must have gotten corruputed somehow when we were connecting or attempting to in Developers mode. Anyone know to reload that part when a USB connection isn't present?
Now that you mention it, I did get the phone used - it was a kid's phone and they didn't want to use it - and it would connect/detect the connection fine before I did a "secure full erase".

I did say I ran WebOS doctor, but that was before the unlock - I will try re-running that as I now have the unlock code (just in case) so we'll see what happens.
Old 12/29/2012, 12:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Good morning Guys! I got the HP Veer about 15 days ago, I live in Nicragua (Central America) and I've try to get the preware and the themes on the new device, now I read some of these post where they said that Java needs to be updated; i've done so and the veer continues to no be recognized, I tried to reboot while connected and verefied that the developer mode is on, (basically everything stated in these post) My question at this moment is: Is it due to living outside of US or authorized country? I need help.
My PC is not that new but it is running in windows 7, and also have the latest Internet Explorer and Java. I will thank you in advanced for any assistance.
Antonio Maradiaga Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 12:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Maradiaga Sanchez View Post
Good morning Guys! I got the HP Veer about 15 days ago, I live in Nicragua (Central America) and I've try to get the preware and the themes on the new device, now I read some of these post where they said that Java needs to be updated; i've done so and the veer continues to no be recognized, I tried to reboot while connected and verefied that the developer mode is on, (basically everything stated in these post) My question at this moment is: Is it due to living outside of US or authorized country? I need help.
My PC is not that new but it is running in windows 7, and also have the latest Internet Explorer and Java. I will thank you in advanced for any assistance.
Geography does not matter for Preware like it does for HP's App Catalog...

What method of installing Preware are you using? webOS Quick Install?

Do you have the novacom drivers?

Downloads - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

P.S.: I always have to do the "Enable Dev Mode and Reboot" thing with my Veer. *sigh*
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Geography does not matter for Preware like it does for HP's App Catalog...

What method of installing Preware are you using? webOS Quick Install?

Do you have the novacom drivers?

Downloads - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

P.S.: I always have to do the "Enable Dev Mode and Reboot" thing with my Veer. *sigh*
Well I'm using WebOSQI and when it says that Novacom drivers need to be download it gives me an error, I've dowloaded them on pc directly, but still not recognizing my Veer
Antonio Maradiaga Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So you have all the elements...

Make sure dev mode is on... reboot and then connect the USB?
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 01:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Also, be sure to check that the Palm Novacom service is running.
Garrett92C is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0