Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    There's no way in hell that this will ever run on Sprint, correct? I see some people have done "FrankenPre" projects on the Pre 2 and Pre Plus, but I take it the Veer's hardware is far too removed from the architecture of the original Pre phone for a transplant to be possible?

I ask because I could grab a Veer for around $90 or so, but I'm locked into Sprint for at least another year (i.e. paying to terminate my contract early would set me back like $150 or so, if I wanted to go to AT&T, and for that price I could grab a high-end Android phone), and a Palm would be a decent upgrade from my feature-phone.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    As there are no CDMA veers, it is very unlikely to get a communications board that will fit. You would have to do major surgery to the Pre comm board which may require some sophisticated work (like leadless soldering) to accomplish.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    you could do what I did and get one of the high end phones from AT&T for cheap with contract and sell it. I sold my $20 bb torch for $400 when I first signed up for AT&T. The profit would cover your termination fee, buy you a veer and still leave you with a profit.
    I understand that I'll never be able to use this Veer on Sprint. SO:

What's the max usefulness I can get out of this little guy?

I already have a palm profile active on my sprint pre- and my WiFi-only HP Touchpad. Can I get app catalog access on the Veer without hosing my palm profile and contacts?

I've gotten the unlock code from ATT. I tried the #*USBPASS# but it when I entered the unlock code at the following screen, it came back 'invalid'. I'm sure I'm messing something up here. Only tried this for app catalog access, not to get the phone activated. FAIL.

I tried to shut off the automatic backup to prevent any profile hosing, but it said it needed network access. Didn't quite understand that as I've gotten the Veer to connect to my home's wifi...Doesn't that count as network access? Argh.

I've gathered that people in my situation install WOSQI, Preware, then Impostah and First Use app? I'm getting lost in the weeds here.

So outside of adding to my growing webOS device collection, what's my best bet here? Thanks for any help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan_Ponce_de_Leon View Post
    I already have a palm profile active on my sprint pre- and my WiFi-only HP Touchpad. Can I get app catalog access on the Veer without hosing my palm profile and contacts?
    Sure, you just have to create a new profile and buy apps all over again. Multi-phone profiles are still a wish list item.

Once a new device is activated the old one is wiped the next time it reaches out to HP's servers. Conceivably you could activate the new device and never connect the old one to any network (cellular or otherwise), but that pretty much defeats the purpose.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Sure, you just have to create a new profile and buy apps all over again. Multi-phone profiles are still a wish list item.

Once a new device is activated the old one is wiped the next time it reaches out to HP's servers. Conceivably you could activate the new device and never connect the old one to any network (cellular or otherwise), but that pretty much defeats the purpose.
    That's weird that it works with both devices if one is a phone and one is a touchpad, but not with two phones??
    Wonder why not?
    I even logged into my account to verify I have my touchpad and my veer on my account, and I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    That's weird that it works with both devices if one is a phone and one is a touchpad, but not with two phones??
    Wonder why not?
    I even logged into my account to verify I have my touchpad and my veer on my account, and I do.
    I used Impostah to bulldoze my way into the Veer with my existing palm profile - bad idea.

My active sprint pre instantly dinged that I must restart my phone because my palm profile has been signed out on this device. Cue the flop sweat.

Had to sign back in on the pre, and rebuild the phone. All my text threads were blown away, which stinks.

All in all I'm beginning to regret my veer as a practical purchase, as I continue to search for a worthwhile use.

But the feel of this thing in the hand? The sturdy, beautiful screen? The snappy OS? Mmmm I shall rub the veer on my prodigious manboobs.