Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone! I post a lot under the same name over at the wpcentral.com forums. I love Windows Phone, but I really want to save my upgrade on ATT for devices with multi-core processing and high res screens coming out later this year. Windows Phones can't be had that cheaply off contract, so I have been considering picking up an HP Veer to tide me over till october-november time frame when WP8 Apollo launches. Since I am on ATT a Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, or Veer would be my only WebOS Choices. I like webOS but have never had a device running it as launches never lined up with my upgrades. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I thought you said Beer.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    You didn't describe what you need for a phone. I think Veer is a very cheap but yet still fully functional choice. The thing you need to consider about using a veer is whether you would get used to its small size. I mean you're gonna type on a small keyboard, browse internet and play games on a small screen, things like that. Personally I found typing is pretty easy for me but I have thin fingers. And browsing internet and play games can be kind of uncomfortable. But I LOVE its portability and using it to listen to music on the go.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    The Veer is a great small device. I come from using Nokia and BlackBerry for over 10 years (last ones were a Nokia E71 and BlackBerry 8820). I just love the form-factor of the Veer, it's power and the great interface of webOS

The keys are a bit small, but because they're sticky, they're fine for my fingers and I got easily used to it For me it works the same or even better compared to the Nokia E71 and BlackBerry 8820 keyboard. As for screen size: It's a little small, but not too small for my needs

I can only recommend it With the non-official firmware update 2.2.3/2.2.4 you can find here on the forum you can also use Skype

For US 100,- it's a real steal!
    Battery life is very poor, so get ready for a daily charge. Patches needed to make interface look smooth and fine.
    I was on nokia's and sony ericsson for many years, loved e-series much and especially e61/e71/e72 for stamina (week without charging the battery). Loved iOS for smoothness and usability.
    Veer is symbiosis of nokia e71 and iphone - hardware keyboard+smooth and nicely done user interface in tiny pretty shell. Poor battery is strong disadvantage of course, but all other advantages beat it twice. And yeah, the price is something to go for it now
    Weird but I love my Veer.
    Everyone should buy a Veer. Period.
    The only problem about the Veer: If you have used a Veer, you can hardly go back to these usual 4" Slab devices all around... even a Pre -/+/2/3 is not really satisfying after the Veer experience.
    gerzhwin and Xethur like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipad_user View Post
    Battery life is very poor, so get ready for a daily charge. Patches needed to make interface look smooth and fine.
    I was on nokia's and sony ericsson for many years, loved e-series much and especially e61/e71/e72 for stamina (week without charging the battery). Loved iOS for smoothness and usability.
    Veer is symbiosis of nokia e71 and iphone - hardware keyboard+smooth and nicely done user interface in tiny pretty shell. Poor battery is strong disadvantage of course, but all other advantages beat it twice. And yeah, the price is something to go for it now
    Weird but I love my Veer.
    Daily charge sounds better than the 3 hour battery life my Pre had when running FreeTether. How long does the battery last while running that application?
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I really like my wife's veer (as does she). Lovely little phone.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    Go for it, but be warned you might just forget about those "Windows Phones".
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    If size is an issue for you, you can get a GSM pre 2.
    the Veer is hands down the best cellphone I have ever used
    the magnetic connectors are mobile phone genius & I believe unique
    the Touchstone charger works perfectly for the office & is even better when mounted (Velcro) on a car's dash
    what a brilliant feature for all of Palm/HP mobile devices
    the does core smartphone functions superbly ...it is small but packing lots of processor power
    typing on the little keyboard is surprisingly easy
    I find the battery life excellent, perhaps because the small screen draws less energy & makes less demand on the video processor
    I don't think a better small smartphone exists, particularly as WebOs is such a huge advantage for mobile computing
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
    the Veer is hands down the best cellphone I have ever used
    the magnetic connectors are mobile phone genius & I believe unique
    the Touchstone charger works perfectly for the office & is even better when mounted (Velcro) on a car's dash
    what a brilliant feature for all of Palm/HP mobile devices
    the does core smartphone functions superbly ...it is small but packing lots of processor power
    typing on the little keyboard is surprisingly easy
    I find the battery life excellent, perhaps because the small screen draws less energy & makes less demand on the video processor
    I don't think a better small smartphone exists, particularly as WebOs is such a huge advantage for mobile computing
    @Artichoke: have you used another webOS device before? i have a pre3 and don't intend to switch anytime, but i want to buy a backup device in case something goes wrong with it and i can't buy another pre3 and a veer is a cheap alternative. i wonder how a pre+/2/3 user would feel after switching to a veer?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    Go for it, but be warned you might just forget about those "Windows Phones".
    Well, at some point I'm gonna want to upgrade and I don't know that webOS will be around for that. Plus I intend on buying an LTE phone the day LTE goes live in my market (whole reason behing not using my upgrade right now truthfully).
    Quote Originally Posted by Merjout View Post
    Short answer No! I think Windows is the way to go right now. Tons of apps from the big names, smooth UI with no lag and great multitasking. Best of all it is supported.
    Sorry I've worked with WM quite some times, it's slow, not intuitive etc. Apps: Well OK, but I suspect we'll soon have a ton more apps on WebOS too when Android ports come through
    Yes. Do it. NOW!
    Definately, its one of the best phones I have used so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merjout View Post
    If WP7 is slow what do you call webos? Super super slow?
    WebOS is like Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive at the same time
    ipad_user likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    WebOS is like Schrödinger's cat, dead and alive at the same time
    Yep, it is stable and weird at the same time. But much better than Android and win7 I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    @Artichoke: have you used another webOS device before? i have a pre3 and don't intend to switch anytime, but i want to buy a backup device in case something goes wrong with it and i can't buy another pre3 and a veer is a cheap alternative. i wonder how a pre+/2/3 user would feel after switching to a veer?
    I switched from a Pre to a Veer and had no problems. Veer build is better and I had no trouble adjusting to the smaller screen size. Plus Veer is a lot smoother running.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Hi everyone! I post a lot under the same name over at the wpcentral.com forums. I love Windows Phone, but I really want to save my upgrade on ATT for devices with multi-core processing and high res screens coming out later this year. Windows Phones can't be had that cheaply off contract, so I have been considering picking up an HP Veer to tide me over till october-november time frame when WP8 Apollo launches. Since I am on ATT a Pre Plus, Pixi Plus, or Veer would be my only WebOS Choices. I like webOS but have never had a device running it as launches never lined up with my upgrades. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I bought the Pre 2 and found it to be unreliable and frustrating. However, I came to love WebOS. So, I thought I would try the Veer, being newer technology and in a more pocket friendly form factor. A bunch of guys at work soon followed suit. We all patched them as per the standard recommendations. Initially, all went reasonably well, with the occasional WebOS quirkiness raising its head.
    However, like all WebOS devices, they became phones that could not be relied upon to work when you need them to. They experience a variety of issues from variable battery life (from pretty good to astonishingly bad), hit and miss Bluetooth performance, slow calendar updates, occasional complete system crashes and/or freezes, etc… Pretty much what I found with the Pre 2 and Touchpad, though the Touchpad has delivered the most reliable experience of the 3 (though not reliable enough in my opinion). Bizarrely, each device seems to experience different issues, with no obvious indicators of what is causing them. My colleagues have all moved on. I was the last one carrying the flag for WebOS.
    I guess I am writing this in the wrong frame of mind, as I have just performed a WebOSdoctor (again) and am now unable to get WebOSQuickinstall to work (the ‘no device connected’ error). Frustrating.
    There may come a day when the OS becomes dependable which would be nice, as from a usability perspective (when its working), its very good indeed.
    I refuse to buy an iPhone because I want to be able to play the music I purchase on any device I own, hate the unpolished turd which is iTunes and am not a sheep. So, I have started researching which Android phone to purchase as a replacement. Not because WebOS isn’t nice to use, doesn’t have enough available apps or how HP completely f*cked-up. Simply because I need a phone that works most of the time. It’s a shame because I consider myself to be a fan of WebOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast