Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #21  
    Have you considered Windows Phone?

Anyway, I found one for $35 bucks so I am thinking of picking it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    @Artichoke: have you used another webOS device before? i have a pre3 and don't intend to switch anytime, but i want to buy a backup device in case something goes wrong with it and i can't buy another pre3 and a veer is a cheap alternative. i wonder how a pre+/2/3 user would feel after switching to a veer?
    had a Sprint Pre & loved it
    had a Treo before that & loved it
    have a Touchpad as well as the Veer
    the Veer is the most innovative of the lot
    love it
    Quote Originally Posted by alfagtv100 View Post
    I was the last one carrying the flag for WebOS.
    I guess I am writing this in the wrong frame of mind, as I have just performed a WebOSdoctor (again) and am now unable to get WebOSQuickinstall to work (the ‘no device connected’ error). Frustrating.
    Have you enabled the devmode on the device before connecting it to webosqi
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    @Artichoke: have you used another webOS device before? i have a pre3 and don't intend to switch anytime, but i want to buy a backup device in case something goes wrong with it and i can't buy another pre3 and a veer is a cheap alternative. i wonder how a pre+/2/3 user would feel after switching to a veer?
    I had a Pre+, have a Pre- and Pixi+ lying somewhere. My wife uses a Pre2 as her main phone and have a Pre3 lying on my desk most of the time. My main phone right now is a Veer patched to 2.2.4.

To sum it up: The Veer is by far the best device of all of them. Two come close:
    1. The Pixi+
    2. The Pre3

All others are close to unusable to you, if you touched the far superior keyboard of the Veer. So don't get a Pixi+/Veer/Pre3 is you want to stay happy with your Pre2. The Pre2 is fast and has good memory. But the keyboard sucks, if you know the better alternative.

The Pixi+ has the same keyboard as the Veer and the same display size. But it's old... anyway on the + webOs 1.4.5 still does quite a good job. But this is also old and lacks some of the 2.x features I've grown to... I know there is some sort of 2.x hack for the Pixi, but after seeing what 2.x did to my Pre-, I would not suggest anybody to hack 2.x on a Pixi+...

The Pre3 also is a great phone and the keyboard is on par with Pixi+/Veer. It's much better than that of any Pre before it. But the Pre3 suffers from serious memory issues, which makes it hard to use for me. Nightly reboot and some other changes in usage made it ok, but I did not have that severe issues on my Veer. Maybe part of that is sorted with the 2.2.4 update, I did not check that, yet...

The small display and also the small keyboard are not a big problem on the Veer. It's just a small powerfull smartphone of very good build quality (in my opinion only the Pre3 get's close, but it's slider is less robust, mine started to wobble after about two months of usage as main phone, my Veer is still sturdy after about 6 months now). Especially if you hack 2.2.4 on it, the Veer is a great experience.
    Just get a Veer as backup for your Pre3. But don't use it until you really need it. It might flaw you.
  5.    #25  
    I passed on the Veer because I learned about the fewer available apps due to the resolution. I am currently trying to buy a Pre 3 off ebay instead.
    The Pre 3 has even less apps. The reason for this is quite simple: Veer has the same resolution as Pixi, which was around for some time already (which is 320x200). Pre 3 has the resolution of 800x480 which is very new for webOs. Additionally the Veer got a full launch, whereas the Pre3 was never really launched. For an un-launched phone there are amazing number of apps for the Pre3 which is partly because of the webbased nature of webos which make most apps work quite fine in different resolutions...

The most apps which are not available are games, because they are PDK OpenGL applications and often can't simply change resolution and aspect ratio (both Pre3 and Veer have another aspect ratio than the Pre with 320x240). And here the Veer still has some more apps, at least from the apps that I bought. So Veer got more apps restored than the Pre 3 from my profile.

But of course you have to decide that for yourself..
    Veer's resolution is 320x400
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Me is using the Veer as second device, 'cause I need two sim cards.
    I love it, it isn't as powerful as my Pre3 (8GB) but it is as powerful as my Pre+ (my former main device). I don't use freetether on it, so I can't deliver real experiences for bartery power. From time to time it consumes more then 20% Battery over the day (only checking calendar). But most of time battery life is ok.
    All webOS device has their problems.
    But formfactor and keyboard are wonderful and I love it very much.
    So I can recommand to buy it. (I can also recommand a Pre3 or Pre2, but that's a different story ;-))
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    Veer's resolution is 320x400
    Ah, I got that wrong again.. still it's the same as the Pixi (And Pre has 320x480, so Pre3 stays alone with a different AR).
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwidion View Post
    I love it, it isn't as powerful as my Pre3 (8GB) but it is as powerful as my Pre+ (my former main device).
    I think it is a lot more powerful than just a Pre+, based on my Lithium Benchmark testing, at least when overclocked. Even without the overclocking it remains a very capable phone.

I have the Pre+ with 1.4.5 and then got the Touchpad with 3.0.2. I have been using my Veer for a couple weeks now and it feels closer to the Touchpad than the Pre+ with Exhibition and Quickoffice that I use and enjoy. I am running on 2.1.2 on the Veer.

Forgot to add the "potential" for Touch-To-Share capability already built in.
    Last edited by suprolla; 01/22/2012 at 08:24 AM.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
    I am currently using both a pre+ and a pre3. I bought a veer on ebay because it was so cheap ($75 shipped) but I found the veer to be restrictive because of its size. The screen and the keyboard are both very petite. Feminine in my opinion, so my wife ended up with it after her phone died.
    This is my first Windows phone and I actually like it. Coming from iPhones and Blackberries, I like this little phone. Very fast and the voice reception and speaker works great.
    gastr likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dastiks View Post
    This is my first Windows phone and I actually like it. Coming from iPhones and Blackberries, I like this little phone. Very fast and the voice reception and speaker works great.
    I assume you mean webOS.
    ****Reducing Inventory****
    ###FOR SALE###

VZW Pre+ 1.4.5 500/1000 on demand Lithium 418
    White ATT Veer 2.1.2 with 1.4 on demand Lithium 122
    Black ATT Veer 2.1.2 Stock Lithium 196 - broken screen, spare parts
    webOS internals NA Pre3 2.2.4 Stock Lithium 111
    Quote Originally Posted by suprolla View Post
    I assume you mean webOS.
    I hope they do, if not why are they in the Veer forum. Lol
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12