Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Been reading up on battery life inconsistencies on veer and instead of continuing this thread:

Veer battery life?

Thought I start a new one since that one has not been touched for a while.

As the thread shows people seem to have very different experiences with battery life and I have noticed the same. Sometimes its a champ having only 2-3% drain for 5-6 hours (all off, no calls) but sometimes with the same exact settings it will drain 1% as quickly as 15 min. I noticed it because my Veer is running hot in my pocket and looking at Govnah the CPU is at constant 100% (1.4Ghz in my case)

After a lot of experimentation and turning stuff on and off and device restarts the only consistent result I got so that the CPU starts to drop to normal is to connect to the internet - it does not seem to matter whether it be 3G or Wifi - both seem to work.

I tried to leave it the device on for a while without any data connection in an attempt to see if it finishes whatever it was doing but after an hour its still the same - high CPU draining my battery. I'm not sure why it works but it does... One iteration I remember I tried turning on screen-state (using Govnah + Uberkernel) with 300+mhz as max screen of freq - it helps but I still feel the heat after a while and see it draining albeit slower.

Today though I noticed by CPU was almost at a constant of 100% after taking a call on the road. Prior to this I took a 30 min call at home with wifi turned on - from 100% it dropped to 92% which I though was reasonable. On the road a checked a few times and seemed to remain stable until I received a call then the drain started. I did have all my data off (3G/Wifi) and sure enough once I turned on 3G for a minute it throttled back to normal idle. Then I realized this is consistent with my other tests where I did take calls at home with my wifi on and never encountered this problem - which was part of my frustration as I never understood how to trigger it until this happened.

This might explain why people are seeing high drain and others do not. If you finished or made a call and did not have any data connection the CPU kick-in to full. If one had either wifi or 3g on after a call the CPU will remain normal but wifi/3g will be eating away at the battery albeit slower.

So my theory is something is trying to send something to the internet after a call and keeps trying sending the CPU to 100%.

Hope someone can try to see if they get the same result.

Note: I am using Uberkernel 27 clocked 1.4Ghz with screen-state enabled. Currently I have set the max freq screen off to 122Mhz. So far I did not notice any side effect but seems like it does extend my battery life even after the call as long as I close the screen however I still catch the CPU topping at 100% after making a call.

I also have GSM 3G GPS and Brightness Device Menu patch installed for controls. I noticed that if you force it to 2G the bar becomes more stable and constant rather than going up and down every few seconds.
    Last edited by whemix; 12/15/2011 at 07:56 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Just an update - I observed today that somehow receiving or making another call seem to fix the issue of having a high CPU. So what I observed is that:

1. Receive call - noticed CPU is high. Did not turn on data
    2. I needed to call someone - after the call the CPU throttled down to 122MHz
    3. I received another call - after that the CPU was high again

I tried a few times and this seems to be consistent so it must be something to do with connecting back to the network perhaps? Or its in the way how I ended the call?

Will continue to log my experiences and observations.
    Last edited by whemix; 12/18/2011 at 11:27 AM.
  3.    #3  
    I noticed that my calendar alarms are not coming in because of the screen state enabled down to 122MHz. It does 'ring' though as soon as I slide open my phone which is probably too late and defeats the purpose of a reminder

I'm switching back to the default of 354MHz for Uberkernel screenstate.
  4.    #4  
    Today I stumbled upon a patch in preware called "sync fix for stable upload". I believe this may help fix the situation as I suspect the autosync is causing the CPU to be high when there is no data network connection. Initial tests show that CPU no longer is peaking after a call after installing the patch. Will observe for the next few days if this really fixes the problem.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    tech4pk likes this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Sounds like a problem that existed on the Treo 680. High battery drain if the other person hung up first. Fixed by making or receiving another call (and hanging up before the other person):
    http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-o...henomenon.html

Ben
    That could actually be the issue! I had the same on 2.2.3/2.2.4. I now also have this patch installed and the drain seems to be significantly less!
    I also hat different battery drain situations, especially after I’ve bought my new case, which is made of quite thick material, but fits just perfect.

Last night I was watching a film on TV and played with my TP and Veer during ad breaks, went to bed at 3 am, got up at 12 am, played again and put on Touch Stone just around 4 pm – and it had over 20% energy left.

Weird …

I’ll also give this patch a try though.
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    I have 2 Veers, white and black. The battery on the white one seems to last longer than the black one even though i am using the white more in this country.

Almost same s/w.

Go figure

Charles
    has anyone found out where to buy a battery for the veer? ...it's a cya question for foreign travel in my future...
    Quote Originally Posted by clpyles View Post
    I have 2 Veers, white and black. The battery on the white one seems to last longer than the black one even though i am using the white more in this country.

Almost same s/w.

Go figure

Charles
    There is definitely a difference in quality between differen Veer batches, most noticeable of course in screen and battery issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    has anyone found out where to buy a battery for the veer? ...it's a cya question for foreign travel in my future...
    Are you planning on tearing your Veer apart during a trip to replace a spare battery???
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Are you planning on tearing your Veer apart during a trip to replace a spare battery???
    It's a 1-2 minute thing to swap batteries if you know what to do. The part number is BP3 as shown on Rod's disassembly of the Veer.

I couldn't quickly find any BP3 batteries on eBay or Amazon though
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It's a 1-2 minute thing to swap batteries if you know what to do. The part number is BP3 as shown on Rod's disassembly of the Veer.

I couldn't quickly find any BP3 batteries on eBay or Amazon though
    LOL - I know.
    I just don't see anyone doing it just because they ran out of juice.

I may have a spare battery, and a spare Veer modem
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    LOL - I know.
    I just don't see anyone doing it just because they ran out of juice.

I may have a spare battery, and a spare Veer modem
    It depends, if you cannot charge it and have a spare battery, why not

Do you know where the modem is exactly? Rod doesn't really mention it in his disassembly guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    It depends, if you cannot charge it and have a spare battery, why not

Do you know where the modem is exactly? Rod doesn't really mention it in his disassembly guide
    It is my understanding it's just one circuit board (logics and commboard in one). Logically, the simslot needs to be connected to the logics board, so it should be the part he's holding here in his left hand @ 6:12:

If you take a look at Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals
    Under "Detach Circuit Board" it's the upper part in the pictures. I don't think it's a good idea to take it any further apart.

I haven't taken the Veer apart yet, just the Pre a few thousand times
  16.    #16  
    There is definitely a difference in quality between differen Veer batches, most noticeable of course in screen and battery issues.
    Which one is the better sample? The black or white one? I think I also read / heard people mention having veers with slightly different material on their volume rocker but not sure what was the conclusion there

17.    #17  
    That could actually be the issue! I had the same on 2.2.3/2.2.4. I now also have this patch installed and the drain seems to be significantly less!
    Quick update - seems like in real world use the CPU still jumps up to 100% from time to time but not always. I tried to observe whether there was a difference between me ending the call and the caller ending it first but the CPU did not kick in during my controlled tests in both cases so I'm not sure what's going on. Will just have to try to see and observe better in real world testing as a daily driver.

@Herrie, do let us know what your observations are after installing the patch for 2.2.x on veer.

Quote Originally Posted by whemix View Post
    Quick update - seems like in real world use the CPU still jumps up to 100% from time to time but not always. I tried to observe whether there was a difference between me ending the call and the caller ending it first but the CPU did not kick in during my controlled tests in both cases so I'm not sure what's going on. Will just have to try to see and observe better in real world testing as a daily driver.

@Herrie, do let us know what your observations are after installing the patch for 2.2.x on veer.

I had high battery drain at one time, however I have so many patches installed that it's hard to tell what's causing it. The high CPU could be a bug in the modem firmware or the WebOS software. JSTop might help to sort it, though it's mainly for the memory.

I guess a new Uberkernel would work, but we don't have those yet for 2.2.x on the Veer since it's an unofficial release.
  19.    #19  
    Already have jstop installed doing auto garbage collection. I'm still pursuing the theory it has something to email sync since every time I see the CPU @ 100% after a call and enable data for a short time almost instantly an email notification comes in and CPU throttles back to normal.

Observing continues

whemix please post the list of patches you installed ..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast