Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes
    Let's see if this helps. I have a stock Veer. I use it as a phone, SMS, and only on WIFI for data use. I do not have a data plan. WIFI and Bluetooth are always on and I can usually go 2 days on a charge but almost always charge over night. I have never had the "battery issue" in 4 months of ownership, until last week. I took the phone off the charger @ 6:30 AM. had no calls and only 2 sms texts in the morning. @ 1PM I received a phone call. I think they hung up first. I remember seeing the battery as being green at the time. At 3 PM my phone alarmed that I had less than 10% battery left. By the time I got home @ 4:30 the battery was dead. I threw it on the touchstone and haven't had any problems since.
    I am thinking that since I didn't hang up, the phone stayed "attempting to broadcast" for 2 hours???
    OK I did a re-install of 2.2.4 and only installed 5 patches so far being:

Bypass PIN
    HP WebOS Carrier Steing
    No Autodial from Call Log
    Ringer Switch Icon
    Rotated Battery Icon And Sm Percent Text

In 10 hrs time it "only" drained 38% of the battery (which seems reasonable since I got emails coming in all days at work, had a few calls (not very long ones though)). But battery life has drastically increased as it seems. I also listened to music a bit etc, went into Preware a few times etc.

So I suspect it's either one of the patches that I had previously installed (I had 50+ of them so difficult to tell which one caused it!) or something in the way the calls are disconnected in the new Enyo phone app that causes it.
    After 2 weeks without mad battery drain it came again. Don't know the reason (only 4 patches meant above)…..night with 1,5% per hour and few hours at morning, but then 2-4% per hour. It can eat not more than 10% per 8-10 hours but then rapidly drain all battery charge.
    Hate it really, when I need my phone the charge is low.
    Now it's back….mad battery drain 4% per hour.
    Will try to sell my Veer and buy Nokia e72 with strong battery for sure (mine lived week without charge).
    Quote Originally Posted by ipad_user View Post
    Now it's backů.mad battery drain 4% per hour.
    Will try to sell my Veer and buy Nokia e72 with strong battery for sure (mine lived week without charge).
    I noticed that this usually happen if I disabled both Data and WiFi and then a phone call or sms comes in.

Open Govnah to check that current drawn is close to 300mA and processor is running full blast even when phone is idle and screen is off.

the only way to recover is to turn data back on and the current and CPU will back down.
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbg View Post
    I noticed that this usually happen if I disabled both Data and WiFi and then a phone call or sms comes in.

Open Govnah to check that current drawn is close to 300mA and processor is running full blast even when phone is idle and screen is off.

the only way to recover is to turn data back on and the current and CPU will back down.
    I guess it would be good to see your /var/log/messages after this occurs and also when it doesn't occur, so we can check to see what's the problem. It could be we just need to do a small Javascript patch to address the issue...

I'm happy to have a look at this when you send me the logs
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbg View Post

Yes, when I turn on wi-fi drain is at ~1,8% per hour. 2G with data is always on.

Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I guess it would be good to see your /var/log/messages after this occurs and also when it doesn't occur, so we can check to see what's the problem. It could be we just need to do a small Javascript patch to address the issue...

I'm happy to have a look at this when you send me the logs
    Added log of current state with battery drain 2-3% per hour.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ipad_user; 02/16/2012 at 02:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ipad_user View Post
    Yes, when I turn on wi-fi drain is at ~1,8% per hour. 2G with data is always on.

Added log of current state with battery drain 2-3% per hour.
    2-3% hour is OK with me in general. Though at night I turn off data + wifi and I usually have 0-1% drain in 6 hours time
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    2-3% hour is OK with me in general. Though at night I turn off data + wifi and I usually have 0-1% drain in 6 hours time
    But my Veer with only 2G data turned on, everything else except backup is off (mail check, gtalk, gps,wi-fi, bluetooth etc.). 2-3% for me is not normal, usually it is 1,5% per hour.

56% gone after 12 hours of inactivity. Really annoying.
    Last edited by ipad_user; 02/16/2012 at 10:31 AM.
  10.    #70  
    Somewhat off topic but I just want to share

I had been using my touchpad to listen to internet radio via reciva every morning and one day I thought hey why don't I use the veer to do this - duh!

I installed reciva on my veer and voila it works! All is well until I paused it and left the card open and went to work (I don't use the veer as a daily phone - only as a secondary 'local' phone when travelling) and then when I came back from work the veer was dead. I could not even make it turn on when putting it in the touchstone or charge it via cable. Got a bit worried and searched for help at the forums.

In summary what I did was left it charging the whole night and then did the 3 toggle at the ringer and turned the device on. It's alive! Strange thing though is that even after leaving the phone charging overnight the battery was only half way to full.

I did read somewhere in the forums that leaving the a streaming media open as a card seems to be draining the battery even if you paused or stopped it. Whether true or not and which device is this applicable to I can't confirm but I guess lesson learned - keeps your applications closed when your not using it.

Hope this saved someone some trouble.

As to the battery issues for Veer I had not had the chance to replicate the issues since I'm back home. When I'm travelling I'll definitely give it a go.
    Got the girlfriend and I Veers for Christmas.....no patches on either. She has never had the drain while mine comes and goes. Annoying!!!
    i have a stock veer 2.1.1 with the same behavior. I tried uberkernel and stock kernel. As soon as i disable wifi the cpu goes to 100%. As soon as i enable wifi (even if not connected to any network) the cpu load goes down (i can see this in govnah).
    I used xterm to debug this behavior but any other cli would help: type the unix command top on the command line and see which process is eating your cpu. On mine it was the activitymanager. No idea what this process is doing but maybe some can go further with that info.
    now i have wifi allways on and newer had the problem again ...
    Palm Pilot > treo 180 > treo 650 > palm prē > touchpad > veer
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234