Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    You may disable 2G+, Location services and mail check every hour
    if i disable all these things then I dont need a smartphone, a simple cell phone would be the better altermative .
    Quote Originally Posted by ipad_user View Post
    Doctored and installed Buttah, GSM 3G GPS and Brightness, Russian Layout for Hardware Keyboard, Battery icon as percent.
    Switched all off, 2G+, Location services are on, mail check every hour, brightness 30%.
    After 8 hours (night with inactivity) 10% drain, but later 1% per 20 minutes, drained 3% after 15 min. voice call.
    The question is: Does the phone last a whole day if you start with 100% in the morning or not? If it lasts the day => all is fine. If not, you are in trouble and need to investigate or buy more touchstones.

I've read many of the advices to help battery life. Most of them don't really change battery life significantly. Disabling data connection of course helps, but defeats the idea of having a smartphone (as you recognized )... So that's what you have to live with.

You say 1% per 20 minutes. So that makes 3% per hour, which means that your phone will last 33h (100% / 3% => 33). Of course that is only true without usage (as the 3% during the voice call show), but this is a very excellent value and you should be easily getting through a day. Where is your problem?

If you don't want to charge each night, don't get a smartphone. That's just as it is and it might probably stay that way for some more years (maybe sometime somebody will develop the uberbattery. But maybe it won't be used to have long lasting smartphones but to have more powerful ones... you never know ).
    ipad_user and somline like this.
    Garfonso, all is true and without all functions meant to be it is cheap nokia and nothing else.
    But so huge battery capacity for a small phone and many posts of long-lasting battery life….that's why I'm so confused.
    Of course 100% from morning 8-9 AM till night 12 PM will be enough with 1 hour voice calls and rare data usage.
  4.    #44  
    @whemix
    i think Uberkernel causes your battery drain ...
    Why do you think Uberkernel causes this behaviour?

Sadly seems like installing the patch does not resolve my CPU. Still seeing a high CPU after finishing a call. The frustrating thing is that I can't seem to replicate the issue consistently if I do a controlled test.

Today I tried to test if sync could be causing high CPU. I turned off my data and WiFi and tried a manual sync. I also had governor open to monitor my CPU. As soon as I hit manual sync it prompted me to turn on WiFi which I hit dismiss and window of no internet connection appeared. I swipe back to Govnah my CPU was at 100%. Waited for 3 min and still seeing 100% and at this point my battery has fallen 2%. I re-enable WiFi and my CPU
    Immediately drops back idle.

I tried to trigger a backup without any data connection and it does not cause to the CPU to throttle up when failing unlike email sync. I tried other data dependent app (facebook, internet browser) all seems to be normal behaviour.

I went back to email app and set the sync to "manual". With all data of triggered a sync and it did throttle the CPU to 100%.

So it seems like it is the email sync that is causing the issue. It could be ending or even starting a voice call just somehow triggers the process or is already throttling the CPU and I did not know about it. I am using Uberkernel with screen state on so it could be the drain is less when I am not using the phone but actually it is throttling as you as it could trying to sync.

I would be interested to know if Veer users with stock kernel see this behaviour. Can someone try these steps as well and post their results? Suggest to have Govnah installed so that you can monitor the performance of the CPU.

My theory is that email sync it causing the CPU to throttle 100% "waiting' for a network connection if there is none. We see various results in the forums because we never exactly know when the sync happens and whether there is data connection or not. A person could have set my email to sync "as they arrive" and travelling to areas where data connection is always available then may not notice the drain. However with the same setting a person travelling in and out of data coverage might notice a considerable about of drain and shorter battery life because the CPU is throttling unnecessarily when there is no data reception.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whemix View Post
    So it seems like it is the email sync that is causing the issue. It could be ending or even starting a voice call just somehow triggers the process or is already throttling the CPU and I did not know about it.
    Perhaps webOS is smart enough to delay an email sync if one is scheduled while you are in the middle of a phone call and immediately syncs after hanging up??
    Ben
    Today noticed higher battery consumption after night (11% per 8 hours). 20% brightness and still 2-3% per hour with total inactivity.
    Ok, now 2% after 2 min. voice call. Damn, hate it
    Last edited by ipad_user; 01/13/2012 at 12:40 AM.
    @whemix: It would be interesting, if you can see this behaviour at all if e-mail sync is set to "as they arrive". Because that will not trigger a connection at a certain point in time, but keep a TCP connection open, if possible and restores one if network comes back (that does not work all the time). This approach is quite different from the poll every x-minutes approach from a program logic point, so maybe that could be an easy solution.
    I must be lucky, the last time I recognized high battery drain due to high CPU usage all the time was in summer... I think I experimented with E-Mail sync, too. But I did not get reliable results back then...
  8.    #48  
    @whemix: It would be interesting, if you can see this behaviour at all if e-mail sync is set to "as they arrive". Because that will not trigger a connection at a certain point in time, but keep a TCP connection open, if possible and restores one if network comes back (that does not work all the time). This approach is quite different from the poll every x-minutes approach from a program logic point, so maybe that could be an easy solution.
    I must be lucky, the last time I recognized high battery drain due to high CPU usage all the time was in summer... I think I experimented with E-Mail sync, too. But I did not get reliable results back then...
    This might work. I also think in theory setting sync to manually update should also work.

I believed for a while it does work but I can't remember what happened exactly (ie if I had tried an email sync without data connection) so I'll give it another try. However this would not be acceptable to all since it kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone if you can't get active notifications.

Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Today my HP veer was having hi CPU load and heating up. However the battery reading is not decreasing at all. So I thought it's better to reboot the phone.

Big mistake! Now the phone is showing a battery logo with a question mark..... And refuse to boot. Power button with 3 toggle of the silent switch also does not work. Put on a charger and the unit is not charging.

Anyone seen this issue before?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxbg View Post
    Today my HP veer was having hi CPU load and heating up. However the battery reading is not decreasing at all. So I thought it's better to reboot the phone.

Big mistake! Now the phone is showing a battery logo with a question mark..... And refuse to boot. Power button with 3 toggle of the silent switch also does not work. Put on a charger and the unit is not charging.

Anyone seen this issue before?
    Maybe battery died? Try to push volume button and power button before connecting to computer usb and if it is big usb sign try to doctor your phone with webos doctor.
    http://kb.hpwebos.com/wps/portal/kb/.../44768_en.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ipad_user View Post
    Maybe battery died? Try to push volume button and power button before connecting to computer usb and if it is big usb sign try to doctor your phone with webos doctor.
    Palm Support : Troubleshooting webOS Doctor
    Here's an update of the situation.... Since the charging is not working, I tried to power up the unit without the charger connected a few time until there is no response anymore. At this stage, quickly hook up the phone on the charger. After a minute or so, the charging battery shows up. It's alive again.

What puzzles me is event that leads to the failure.... Unit was fully charged in the morning with 3g and WiFi disabled. Noticed that the CPU is running at full speed 1.2GHz even at idle and battery warm and draining 130mA as indicated in Govnah. The battery meter seemed to be stuck at 71% without showing any update for a long time. The communication to the battery is lost. Even Dr. Battery thinks that it is at the same level.

Will try to revert back to palm kernel and monitor further.
    OK, I have been doing a little testing myself. Battery drain sometimes is really high. Overnight (5-7 hours at my apartment) it sometimes drains 20%, sometimes 40-50%!

Last night I decided to turn Data + WiFi off for the night.

I woke up in the morning and my battery was still at 100%!

Turning on WiFi, surfing for a few minutes and it was already down to 98%.

I guess we need a proper update for the modem firmware that will address this issue.
    On 2.1.2 I had 10% drain for 6-7 hours without usage. This night it was 20% and this is not what it should be. With 2.2.4 wi-fi eating battery too much and cellular signal strength is poor.
    Will test for a couple days and maybe go back to 2.1.2 (need stereo in headphones).

UPD. 17% after 3 hours with no usage (1 missed call, 1 minute voice call, 5-10 minutes EDGE data). Seriously thinking of going back to 2.1.2.
    Last edited by ipad_user; 01/19/2012 at 06:30 AM.
    Well i cannot reproduce your drain on my Veer with 2.2.4 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    Well i cannot reproduce your drain on my Veer with 2.2.4 ...
    Maybe you have good signal, I got crappy T-Mobile here

I will test with some other SIM-cards in my spare Veers to see if I can find any similarities....
    I keep everything off and barely use the phone. My battery usually last two and a half days.
    Without any usage and data off as well as gps/wi-fi/bluetooth/backup maybe so)) But I won't believe if it is normal usage….only 1-1,5 day maximum.
    A little off topic but here it is anyways.
    I just went to the Dominican Republic for a week. I didn't want roaming charges so I brought my old Pre- with me. I charged it on Wednesday night. Thursday I put it in airplane mode. I used it for the next 9 days as a camera and mp3 player (every day). I went online using wifi a couple of times to check mail from the hotel (maybe about 40 minutes use) and by the time I got back home the following Sunday it still had about 8% battery left. That's about 11 days on one charge but not used as a smart phone. As a phone I was lucky to get 2 days use without a charge.
    This just shows how much power it uses as a smart phone.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have experienced strange battery drain. It started when I installed some patches and apps from Preware. Not sure which one.

But I noticed that after each use, I pressed the power button to turn off the screen immediately, the screen would stay off and the battery remain a long time. Otherwise, if I put in my pocket without turn off the screen, the screen seems to stay on for a long time and drain the battery.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I have a google contacts account that is corrupt from too many decades of switching devices and operating systems. When added to my accounts on both my pre3 and veer using 2.2.4 it tries to sync but fails, usually adding 100-200 of the 1000 contacts in the database. Problem is that it keeps trying to sync and kills my battery. Make sure you don't have something like this ruining your battery life..I've started a new contacts account, adding entries as I go. Problem solved.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<–>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S–>Davinci Si
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast