Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. zhingket's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #1  
    I am visiting Philippines in two months and just wondering if the internet is going to work on my HP veer, and if there any setup needed to have it work, also i'm planning to make it a hot spot so I could use my tablets, I am planning to have a Globe sim but if Smart is much better with the veer I might use it.

    Thanks,
  2. #2  
    Hmm... I guess if you have a EU Veer, then 3G internet should be available for you. But as with the US Pre 2, the best you can get is GPRS/EDGE speeds.

    Will you be staying in the city or at the beaches?
  3. st_7's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Hmm... I guess if you have a EU Veer, then 3G internet should be available for you. But as with the US Pre 2, the best you can get is GPRS/EDGE speeds.

    Will you be staying in the city or at the beaches?
    he can even use US HP veer in philippines as 2100 band is being used for 3g over there(globe network uses 2100 & smart uses 850/2100, see here:List of UMTS networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), & veer(at&t) supports 2100 band, so no problem with frequency bands, but the problem would be whether or not he can enter & save the custom apn settings of the given provider
  4. #4  
    Yup, that's what I thought too, but this US version Pre 2 isn't connecting to the supposed 2100 3G bands, neither on Globe nor Smart (or even Sun Telecom).

    Should've gotten a UK version >_<

    I'll post back with results from my brother's white US Veer shortly :P

    *Update: Nope, no go on the 3G. Only got the "E" for Edge. Using a Globe SIM. Apparently, there's no way to set the Network Type on the Veer?
    Last edited by Furuboru; 12/12/2011 at 02:51 AM.
  5. st_7's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Yup, that's what I thought too, but this US version Pre 2 isn't connecting to the supposed 2100 3G bands, neither on Globe nor Smart (or even Sun Telecom).

    Should've gotten a UK version >_<

    I'll post back with results from my brother's white US Veer shortly :P

    *Update: Nope, no go on the 3G. Only got the "E" for Edge. Using a Globe SIM. Apparently, there's no way to set the Network Type on the Veer?
    it's really interesting in India all operators use 2100 band & many people using 3g in veer(at&t)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Yup, that's what I thought too, but this US version Pre 2 isn't connecting to the supposed 2100 3G bands, neither on Globe nor Smart (or even Sun Telecom).

    Should've gotten a UK version >_<

    I'll post back with results from my brother's white US Veer shortly :P

    *Update: Nope, no go on the 3G. Only got the "E" for Edge. Using a Globe SIM. Apparently, there's no way to set the Network Type on the Veer?
    According to this page the North American Pre2 only supports 850/1900 UMTS so it's no wonder you only get edge. On that same page the Veer is listed as supporting 850/1900/2100 so should be fine.
  7. zhingket's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Hmm... I guess if you have a EU Veer, then 3G internet should be available for you. But as with the US Pre 2, the best you can get is GPRS/EDGE speeds.

    Will you be staying in the city or at the beaches?
    Hi, Thanks for the response, I have a US version, I'll be staying in several places and mostly main cities/beaches.
  8. zhingket's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    Yup, that's what I thought too, but this US version Pre 2 isn't connecting to the supposed 2100 3G bands, neither on Globe nor Smart (or even Sun Telecom).

    Should've gotten a UK version >_<

    I'll post back with results from my brother's white US Veer shortly :P

    *Update: Nope, no go on the 3G. Only got the "E" for Edge. Using a Globe SIM. Apparently, there's no way to set the Network Type on the Veer?
    How does your brother setup the mobile internet? did he just pop in the sim and that's it no setting etc like nokia phones? I haven't been home for 4 years so I am not updated anymore, and my last phone in the Philippines is an n95 and it require such settings and links.
  9. #9  
    I have the US HP Veer and I'm here in the Philippines for a few weeks. I'm on globe - no problems getting data (3G or Edge - it switches back and forth depending where you are) and as a hotspot. The few times I did have a problem is because it's using GPRS (slow) or no signal.

    For me I just popped the sim in and it just started working. Was surprised as well how easy it was. Thought I had to manually input the settings or something.
  10. zhingket's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by whemix View Post
    I have the US HP Veer and I'm here in the Philippines for a few weeks. I'm on globe - no problems getting data (3G or Edge - it switches back and forth depending where you are) and as a hotspot. The few times I did have a problem is because it's using GPRS (slow) or no signal.

    For me I just popped the sim in and it just started working. Was surprised as well how easy it was. Thought I had to manually input the settings or something.
    Thanks, have you tried the freetether app using your globe sim?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zhingket View Post
    Thanks, have you tried the freetether app using your globe sim?
    Yes that is what I did - no issues
  12. ran495's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #12  
    hi im also from the philippines, any other fellow countrymen-veer users have any issues with it using Globe? im thinking of getting one. thanks
  13. #13  
    I'm using a globe sim - not roaming. Works pretty well for me - call, sms, email, light internet searching, wifi tethering, facebook, some simple games. I have not tried to use it as a GPS for driving because there is no voice navigation but bing map does pick up where I am.
  14. #14  
    i'm using a veer here in the philippines. (globe) currently no problems with it so far. i bought an unlocked at&t veer from ebay. (but activated my profile in the US when i was there)

    GPS sucks here in the philippines especially if you're on bing maps. from where i am, google maps is much better as far as i'm concerned.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mltan View Post
    GPS sucks here in the philippines especially if you're on bing maps. from where i am, google maps is much better as far as i'm concerned.
    Use NavIt for all your GPS needs -- it's even offline, so you can boldly go where no mobile internet connection has gone before.

    The farthest drive-by-GPS (no maps, no questions from locals, just the GPS coordinates and NavIt) I've done is from Paranaque to Lobo, Batangas (approx 127km through remote countryside).

    Although yes, Google maps does have a more detailed view.
  16. #16  
    Out of curiosity what webOS device did you use when you did this? I'm a bit worried that NavIt might stuff up my veer if I try that

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  17. #17  
    I think it was still on the original Pre when I did this early this year.

    You can download NavIt from Preware, but make the maps from Navit :: Planet Extractor -- I did one for the whole island of Luzon and it came to about 57MB.

    Speaking of which, I think it's time to make a new one, as the map seems to have been updated!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by st_7 View Post
    it's really interesting in India all operators use 2100 band & many people using 3g in veer(at&t)
    Dear cud u pl tell me the procedure for manual settings in hp veer , i have got one hp veer unlocked ,US at&t model..
    but 3g is not working in this , i tried tata docomo ,aircel ..both didn't workout...
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
  19. #19  
    FYI .. I used an AT&T Pre 3, US Pre2 and an EU Pre 2 successfully on Globe Telecoms while in the Philippines. You might have to tweak the Internet APN settings, though.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    FYI .. I used an AT&T Pre 3, US Pre2 and an EU Pre 2 successfully on Globe Telecoms while in the Philippines. You might have to tweak the Internet APN settings, though.
    thanx for sharing the info ..but i guess AT&T Pre 3 and an EU Pre 2 both will work with without any problem as far as i have read...though US Pre2 worked for u is surprising to me and good news too...
    but i forgot to mention m from INDIA and i want to know if i need to tweak in the carrier database setting of the hp veer or just manual settings told by carrier customer care will do...
    pixi plus (webOS 2.1)>pre2>HP Veer>touchpad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions