Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Exhnozoaa
    Hi, I got a second hand veer recently. It's a unlocked AT&T phone with a already signed in account called "Dr. Skipped Firstuse". I wanna shut the data backup off since I have no data plan. Then it says I should have a palm profile. I've read some threads about how to register a palm profile, but still have two questions unclearly.

1. Lots of people mentioned to do a full reset. Is this step essential? I just don't want to lose all the applications and patches.

2. Does this reset affect the lock status? I mean will this phone locked again after I reset the phone?

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by akic View Post
    1. Lots of people mentioned to do a full reset. Is this step essential? I just don't want to lose all the applications and patches.

2. Does this reset affect the lock status? I mean will this phone locked again after I reset the phone?

TIA.
    As far as i know:

1) Yes.

2) No. I did a full erase on my unlocked Veer and i can still use other carrier's SIMs.
    Quote Originally Posted by akic View Post
    Hi, I got a second hand veer recently. It's a unlocked AT&T phone with a already signed in account called "Dr. Skipped Firstuse". I wanna shut the data backup off since I have no data plan. Then it says I should have a palm profile. I've read some threads about how to register a palm profile, but still have two questions unclearly.

TIA.
    I recently got and unlocked a Veer and went through all of this. It took quite a few tries before I finally got it all correct.

Do you currently have access to the app catalog? If so, Dr. Skipped Firstuse is probably just a minor annoyance, and not worth the effort of fixing. He pops up if the use skipped the Firstuse app (obviously), often because that person doesn't have a data plan.

The data backup can happen over wifi, but if you can't shut it off because you don't have a Palm Profile, then it probably isn't doing the backup (because it would back up to your Palm Profile).

You can get a Palm Profile without resetting everything, but the device will still say Dr. Skipped Firstuse on it. Get Impostah from Preware. Open it and tap Activation. Enter your email address and desired password for the Palm Profile. Click Create New Profile. If everything goes correctly, you should now have a Palm Profile. You should be able to access the app catalog and disable backups, etc.

If you want to get rid of Dr. Skipped Firstuse forever, you need to do a full reset AND doctor it. A full reset does not remove your patches, but they won't appear as installed in preware either, so it's probably best to doctor it back to stock. I can give you full instructions if you want to try this (this post is already getting really long). Personally, I would prefer to do this, but you will lose all of your installed applications and patches.

None of this will affect your lock status. Once a phone is unlocked, it should be unlocked forever.

These threads provide some more info:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...cked-veer.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...postah-19.html
    For the record, even though I joined in August, I joined before the fire sale. :P
    cai70 likes this.
    I have an unlocked veer that I bought thru ebay - What I want to do is use my Japanese sim card in it on my own profile (not firstuse)

Ive got access to the Australian app catalogue and I have inputted my own palm profile thru impostah but I would like to get rid of firstuse.

Im still in dev mode if that helps -Would like to be able to just use my veer normally....
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieinjapan View Post
    I have an unlocked veer that I bought thru ebay - What I want to do is use my Japanese sim card in it on my own profile (not firstuse)

Ive got access to the Australian app catalogue and I have inputted my own palm profile thru impostah but I would like to get rid of firstuse.

Im still in dev mode if that helps -Would like to be able to just use my veer normally....
    To get rid of Dr. Skipped First Use you need to do the following.

1. Have a Valid Data Plan with your service provider, verify it by turning down wifi and try to browse something on your device.
    2. Have a Valid Backup of your apps which are downloaded from HP App Catalog in the backup by running a Backup on your new profile.
    3. Download and Install the latest WebOS Doctor from the link below
    Palm Support : Using HP webOS Doctor
    4. After Installation is done Login to your Palm Profile using your credentials.
    5. Verify that your profile name is restored.

Regards,
    Devil
    The short route:

Device Info > Erase Apps and Data