1.    #1  
    Here is my story.

I got a shiny new Veer in June 2011. I used the phone as my main phone and at that time was thrilled by the very small form factor the very good touch and feel and the speed of the small device. It was like what my Pixi Plus always should have been like and I loved it... Then it broke down. I send it to HP for repair which took nearly two months, came back and microphone was not working and wlan reception was very bad, too, so I send it to repair once more which again took a long time.

In between I managed to snap a Pre3. It was from ebay and way over the firesale price, but I had no phone.. I was managing my life with a Pre- with 2.1 installed which is a very bad laggy. The Pre3 feeled good, too. From the outer body and size it is more appealing to me than the Veer. Even if it's much bigger it's not that much more heavier... The screen is great and also the keyboard is on par with the Pixi/Veer one (finally! poor Pre2...). But it's just so damn slow... I did not notice a big improvement from the Pre- to the Pre3... of course, the CPU is much faster... but what good does a CPU if it's always waiting for memory swapping???

I'm not calculating complicated stuff on the CPU... I'm not even playing many games on it (in fact I stopped playing on the phone since I own a TouchPad. ). The Pre3 just has to few RAM available for webOs... there is some post from Rod that explains it... it has a different architecture that reserves more memory for the phone part than the TI Omap ones in the old Palm days... I did what I could to the device to keep it usable.

I fiddled around uberkernel which removes the TMC messages for the cost of more lagginess because of even more swapping! This is not really of much help, if you ask me... of course, in an emergency situation you can start some software and don't get a TMC... but if the system is in a situation where it normally would give you a TMC, then you don't want to run more software with uberkernel... or you need to be VERY patient...
    The closest to a real solution was to have the phone reboot every single night and start JSTop with garbage collection on every boot... but usually the phone was very laggy in the evening already. Especially if you run memory hoggs like Paper Mache or Read on Touch you can plan a reboot in the next hours or expect the phone to not be able to answer calls anymore... but also the most webpages manage to get the phone down fast. Especially if there is flash on them (even if you did not enable the flash content...).

Now my Veer came back yesterday... I first installed it with a new profile and played around with it a bit. It was such a long time that I really used it, I needed to get used to it a bit again. And I was not sure if the problems I had with the Pre3 really are non existent on the Veer.
    But after some hours I decided that I did not have false illusions and switched my full profile onto the Veer. Today I am using it with great pleasure and the first time for months I can really enjoy using my phone! All the lagginess, the fear of TMC or swapping-"think"-moments is going away... I can now again open the e-mail app without fear, if messaging is already open and online (Google Talk) and feeder is running in the background... I even can read e-mails while Paper Mache is running... the phone doesn't get issues if Paper Mache is syncing... like the Pre3 tends to not even recognize anymore that it is being charged....

I love the outer body of the Pre3. It would be a great phone... but it lacks memory. It so seriously lacks memory that it is not usable for me... I like the better camera, the LED flash, the bigger screen, having more apps (which comes down to games) and so on... but I can't stand this memory issue on a multi tasking OS... maybe it's good hardware for those single tasking things out there... but I migrated to webOs for the multitasking, nothing else. If the device does not have enough memory to allow fast app switches, I can't really need it...

So, why do I write this? There were many questions if the Veer is better than XY or XZ. I think there even are many people out there that are sad that they did not get a Pre3.
    I say: As of the time writing this the Veer is by far the best webOs phone that exists and HP did good to not fully launch the Pre3 in it's current condition.

Pros of the Veer:
    - 800Mhz is just 200 less than Pre2, so CPU is "fine"
    - enough memory available
    - Keyboard (which makes it very much more superior to Pre-/+/2)
    - Nice touch and feel (second reason that makes it superior to the Pre-/+/2)
    - Very small
    - Magnetic connector (this is just cool )
    - Not so much end of life like any other webOs phone...

Cons of the Veer:
    - 800Mhz, but 1500Mhz one does lack memory, 1000Mhz one lacks Keyboard
    - No LED flash (a pity, but no deal breaker for me)
    - no autofocus camera (a pity, but no deal breaker for me... I don't use the camera very often anyways and my Pre3 pictures where noise most of the times, too. So there is not thaaat much difference)
    - Very small (in the pre-veer days I liked bigger more... but that changed )
    - Still kind of end of life...

So, don't be sad if you did not get a Pre3... if you ask me, I'd say that even a Pre+ with webOs 2.x on it is a better device than the Pre3. I would get a Pre2 or Pre+ if they had the superior keyboard of the Pixi/Veer. If you once typed on one, you can hardly go back...

Now I'm gonna try overclocking the Veer and see how much more power there is to discover. But honestly, CPU does not matter that much for webOs if you ask me.
    some people said uberkernell on Pre 3 caused many problem. But personally I don't feel have that problem. But around a week I back to original kernell, I don't see any significant difference or problem. I'm using german Pre3, with firmware 2.2.0. Not 2.2.3 yet.

I have AT&T veer unlocked, and I'm using other carrier which depend on 2100mhz to have 3G. In my experience, Veer signal reception not as good as my Pre3. Maybe bandwidth range matters. So I can't conclude this. But talking about performance, I can say that Pre 3 faster then Veer. Maybe not much faster but I'm quite sure Pre 3 faster then Veer. More over on firmware 2.2 there is no sms lag like I found on my Veer firmware 2.1.2. Slow down issue happened on Pre3 but I can tell it is still acceptable and still better then on Veer. Veer is very nice device. I love it, but for now I love my Pre3 more
  3.    #3  
    I forget to add that info:
    Both devices are german QWERTZ and GSM on the same network (O2 Germany). The Veer is running 2.1.1 (which seems to have fewer issues than 2.1.2 on the US Veers) and the Pre3 is running 2.2.0 build 3171, the latest version available in europe.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    yup, the veer is good. i also grew to like the small form factor and the speed of the device. in fact, i liked it so much i brought a 2nd one last month heh

im one of the few fortunate people who never got the TMC error on both my veers, but if i were to nitpick, i'll say the veer needs quite a number of preware patches to make it really good.

oh and the battery, i install warthog kernel, clocked at 300mhz-1ghz range and my battery surprisingly lasts all day. i took the phone from the charger at 7am and by 11pm in the nite, most time i got about 30% batt left, based on average usage, my old samsung galaxy pro woulda died at 7pm...

keep veering on
    Quote Originally Posted by multiply View Post
    yup, the veer is good. i also grew to like the small form factor and the speed of the device. in fact, i liked it so much i brought a 2nd one last month heh

im one of the few fortunate people who never got the TMC error on both my veers, but if i were to nitpick, i'll say the veer needs quite a number of preware patches to make it really good.

oh and the battery, i install warthog kernel, clocked at 300mhz-1ghz range and my battery surprisingly lasts all day. i took the phone from the charger at 7am and by 11pm in the nite, most time i got about 30% batt left, based on average usage, my old samsung galaxy pro woulda died at 7pm...

keep veering on
    haven't done a single patch to mine
    works first rate
    the Veer may be the best thing Rubinstein did with Palm
    its small size is ideal for a work oriented phone
    with webOs running it quickly handles resizing & true multi tasking, so the small screen's liability is minimized
    the greatest advantage with smaller size, beyond being handier, is less drain on system resources & especially battery power and memory
    I don't use mine for gaming & surf the internet with it mainly for travel needs, for which it does just fine
    I wish the camera had macro capability & that the keyboard was illuminated
    still am hoping it will better integrate with the Touchpad
    I wants TTS
  6.    #6  
    The keyboard actually is illuminated... but it seems a bit buggy. It usually stays off, unless you pith the screen brightness real high. Especially in dark surroundings this is very annoying.

Therefore I installed the fixed keyboard brightness 35 patch and now it's on all the time I use the device. It should not drain the battery much and makes the device much more useful if it's dark around you.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    In my experience the brightness needs to be at least 25%.
    Mine refused to light up only once, but that was because it was doing all kinds of things at the same time and as soon as I pressed a button the backlight came on.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    The screen is really a bit too small for gaming and surfing but it still works in a pinch. For texting and email it is just fine.(Oh and it makes a good phone too) The only down side I have found is that the antenna might be a bit too small because my Pre- had better range on the fringe of service but that might just be that the 3-4G service is weaker than the old CDMA service I had.
    All in all I LOVE my Veer.
    (but I would love to test drive a Pre3 for a week)
    Quote Originally Posted by W0153R View Post
    In my experience the brightness needs to be at least 25%.
    Mine refused to light up only once, but that was because it was doing all kinds of things at the same time and as soon as I pressed a button the backlight came on.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    seems I share more characteristics of my state"s governor than I had imagined
    I have been much too busy with my work to tweak my Veer as much as I would like
    so far it hasn't needed much
    more reliable than my TP, FWIW
    I love PreCentral for its friendly forums & enlightened members
    lights are on, btw