Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By dbmgreen
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  1.    #1  
    Here is a weird one. Am not sure if it belongs in in Veer or WebOS forum - let's start here.

My problem is as follows: when someone sends me just a plain message from an iPhone, I can read it without any problems.

However, when the message contains an attachment (such as a JPG), when I open the message, I can access the attachment, but the text part is blank. Yet, that text is partly visible in message notification pop-up or in the listing of Inbox messages.

So: message w/o attachments - no problem
    Message with attachments - snippet of text in notification or in Inbox, but blank screen when opening.

I confirmed this by having test messages sent from two different iPhones, one on AT&T, one on Verizon.
    I did not have an opportunity to try that from a different brand of sending mobile phone.
    I successfully received messages from a PC (via Outlook) and these worked without any trouble either way.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Robert.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
    Here is a weird one. Am not sure if it belongs in in Veer or WebOS forum - let's start here.

My problem is as follows: when someone sends me just a plain message from an iPhone, I can read it without any problems.

However, when the message contains an attachment (such as a JPG), when I open the message, I can access the attachment, but the text part is blank. Yet, that text is partly visible in message notification pop-up or in the listing of Inbox messages.

So: message w/o attachments - no problem
    Message with attachments - snippet of text in notification or in Inbox, but blank screen when opening.

I confirmed this by having test messages sent from two different iPhones, one on AT&T, one on Verizon.
    I did not have an opportunity to try that from a different brand of sending mobile phone.
    I successfully received messages from a PC (via Outlook) and these worked without any trouble either way.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Robert.
    This is a feature in webOS, generally speaking, people with iPhones are not going to send anything that is of particular importance, so it gets filtered out.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

S-Doo-1965 and PreJim like this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    This is a feature in webOS, generally speaking, people with iPhones are not going to send anything that is of particular importance, so it gets filtered out.
    That's exactly what I thought! My friend with the iPhone even wrote me in his test message that, apparently, iPhone can read my thoughts and knows how I feel about it.

On a serious note, any ideas what is happening?
    Does anybody know if there were attempts to fix this?
    I'm having this issue on all of my devices since I'm using webOS. Now my daughter is using an iPhone, so it's time for me to look for a solution - if it's not solved yet
    I never noticed this problem.
    Nafetz likes this.
    I don't have a Veer, but sometimes my email app shows a black square where the body text should be. This then resolves into the text or blank white. It's usually a temporary problem. Given that the OP can see the preview text (seen in the inbox list view), It would suggest that the email is correctly downloaded, but there might be issues with rendering it and perhaps the way iOS attaches files causes a problem for the webOS renderer.

Here's an idea: What hapens if you forward the email to yourself?
    Nafetz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I never noticed this problem.
    Funny - I always thought this would be a general problem, but nobody cared about it
    Like Robert wrote some years ago it's a little bit weird, because you can't read the message, but you can read "Sent from my iPhone" (see pictures). I had this issue on all my devices yet (Pre, Pre +, Pre 2, Pre 3, Veer and Touchpad). Returning or forwarding the message or copying the message doesn't help. Maybe it's because of a combination of settings?? Mine are: german language, e-mail via pop/smtp, browser always with Javascript blocked ...
    I will do some tests if I find a configuration where I get the complete message
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Not sure what I did different, but I sent myself an email from my wife's email with a photo attached, and I could read it just fine on my Pre3. Haven't checked other devices yet.
    Nafetz likes this.
    Thanks for testing
    I have re-enabled one of my first devices with only few additional apps (Internalz Pro, Preware and Clock Sync) and no patches.
    Result is the same as before when recieving an email from iPhone with attachment: The email body is not visible but the signature. Your wife has no signature
    I cant't wait to recieve a mail without signature - no iphone around me - I have to be patient

Not much else left. I don't believe in language. Maybe the email provider?
    I noticed that about the signature. It was in the email, but the text that shows on webOS was the first thing in the email. Then a blank line or two followed by the signature and then the image. I don't know if that is the order of the mime/multipart parts, but maybe webOS is not able to parse all of them correctly.
    Nafetz likes this.
    Tried a couple more, varying the location where I inserted the image. I got out a Veer with 2.2.4. I can read all.
    Nafetz likes this.
    I had some interesting tests today. I deleted all files and folders in /var/file-cache/email/ because I think these are the files that are displayed in the email app. I had one email left in the app. When I opened this email (without internet connection) I got the black rectangle Preemptive told some days ago. Then I deleted the last email.
    I connected to my WiFi and recieved three emails that I sent before from an iPhone. The first one had no attachment. The second and third had an attachment. The iPhone-signature was deleted in the third email before sending it.

As you can see in picture "email01.png" all texts in the body were visible in the list view. In picture "email02.png" the complete email is visible because there was no attachment. (I used a provider that added some advertising, but that had no influence in the tests). In "email03.png" the body of the email is missing but the signature is readable (as always). In "email04.png" the body is missing though no signature was sent.

Now I had a look into the new files that were created in /var/file-cache/email/.
    "Internalz01.png" belongs to "email02.png" - all is well.
    Now - "Internalz02.png" and "Internalz03.png" belong to "email03.png". The bodytext and the signature are split into two files. And it seems that my devices are always loading the file with the signature.
    "Internalz04.png" and "Internalz05.png" belong to "email04.png". I had deleted the signature, but there still is a file reserved for it. And this file seems to be loaded in "email04.png"

So I would guess that every webOS user that is recieving an email with an attachment from an iPhone is getting an incomplete email. In most cases the signature is missing. In my case the bodytext is missing.
    Can this be confirmed?

I have no idea what makes the decision to load the "wrong" file on my devices. I switched my Pre to US language and rebooted. Then I recieved a new email - still the same ...