Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Why everytime I install Bing Maps, it gets replaced by Google Maps after a reboot? I really want Bing Maps on my Veer, is there a way to make it stick?

And after every reboot, Bing Maps is gone, does it mean that the Enyo framework that comes along with it also gets removed after the reboot?
    I have no idea, but since you are asking this question about an hour in the future, maybe technology just freaks out when you are around...

Edit: Wow, you are effecting everyone... My post is two hours in the future...
    I'm having the exact same issue... Pretty frustrating cause with the inability to use google maps now, I'm left without a map app -_-
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I have yet to receive the update to include google maps. I would prefer this. How is everyone getting the update on their Veer? Software updates show no available updates for mine
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I started off installing Bing Maps when it became available on the Apps Catalogue, it replaced Google Maps. Those days are good, the Bing Maps stayed through reboots.

Then I received an "update is available" message from HP, its about 1mb, about 2 weeks after I first installed Bing. I postponed the update but it forced itself into the Veer.

It replaced the Bing Maps with Google Maps again, and from there onwards, everytime I install Bing, Google replaces it after a reboot.

Like many, I am left without a maps app now...

How does anyone make the HP Bing Maps stay installed in the Veer?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    What I did was go into Linux Commandline through webOS Quick Install and deleted Google Maps with

Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/
    ipkg remove file-name-of-application
    Then installed the Bing Maps and it stayed with a reboot.

I don't recall the name of the Google maps file.
    Last edited by Tikerz; 11/06/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Having same issue on a VZW Pre2. Strange. Unfortunately I don't use maps much because Verizon Pre+ or Pre2 phones have a crippled GPS.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    How is everyone getting this update? I have an AT&T branded Veer that I have been using for 2 months now, and no sign of an update for me. I would prefer Google Maps as the default maps for my phone.
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtprec View Post
    How is everyone getting this update? I have an AT&T branded Veer that I have been using for 2 months now, and no sign of an update for me. I would prefer Google Maps as the default maps for my phone.
    There's a free app in the catalog called MAPS. That installs Bing maps on your phone. If you prefer Google Maps, then don't install that app. Then again, I believe you won't get the ENYO framework if you don't install it, but you can follow this to keep Google Maps.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ogle-maps.html
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    My phone came with Bing Maps pre installed on the phone from AT&T. Checking system updates tells me my phone is already up to date. I just want the update to get Google Maps as my phones default maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    There's a free app in the catalog called MAPS. That installs Bing maps on your phone. If you prefer Google Maps, then don't install that app. Then again, I believe you won't get the ENYO framework if you don't install it, but you can follow this to keep Google Maps.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ogle-maps.html
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    What I did was go into Linux Commandline through webOS Quick Install and deleted Google Maps with

Code:
    ipkg remove file-name-of-application
    Then installed the Bing Maps and it stayed with a reboot.

I don't recall the name of the Google maps file.
    The app name: com.palm.apps.maps . Trying your steps now (thanks). This whole re-install on every boot thing is irritating. I don't mind it so much with the App catalogue (for promo codes), but, in this case, it's quite annoying!

Update: This worked like a charm. As much as I'm sad to see Google Maps go (preferred it to some degree), the broken app with a useless upgrade link was irritating to say the least. Thanks!

--> I see what you all pointed out above: Glad to see that this works well for me 1 hour in the future. Has anyone told the P|C guys to update the server time for Standard time (vs DST)?
    Last edited by cmahy; 11/07/2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: I saw the Future
    Palm History: Sony Clie T615C --> T|X --> Pre+ --> Pre3 Aspirations -->
    Tikerz likes this.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    cmahy and tikerz, thank you so much for the solutions, it really worked!

u guys are amazing
    Tikerz likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post
    The app name: com.palm.apps.maps . Trying your steps now (thanks). This whole re-install on every boot thing is irritating. I don't mind it so much with the App catalogue (for promo codes), but, in this case, it's quite annoying!

Update: This worked like a charm. As much as I'm sad to see Google Maps go (preferred it to some degree), the broken app with a useless upgrade link was irritating to say the least. Thanks!

--> I see what you all pointed out above: Glad to see that this works well for me 1 hour in the future. Has anyone told the P|C guys to update the server time for Standard time (vs DST)?
    Have you installed BFG Maps? You can find it in the regular App catalog. It is pretty much like Google maps (uses their data) with a little extra oompf, and I think the ad version is free. If you donate something (I donated $5 twice...must have had an itchy trigger finger, but these Homebrew developers deserve some love) the ads go away. I use it to get better traffic info. Even after the loss of Google Maps app on webOS, BFG keeps on working. Having that AND Bing is a pretty good situation.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

JED-WEB-OS likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtprec View Post
    One of these days when you try to use the Google Maps application and you will get a mesasge "click on this link to upgrade" or some such thing. As far as I know, Google Maps app is no longer working!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Have you installed BFG Maps?
    Nice suggestion. I'll give it a try. There is also another free app that is based on google maps but i don't remember the name ...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    i did the steps above for my black veer a few days ago, no problem. but when i tried it on my white veer yesterday, it doesnt let me remove the existing maps app, saying some file system read only error.

anyway i googled a bit and found the workaround for people facing the "read-only file system" error when removing the app.

oh and the directory to uninstall is "com.palm.app.maps", i think there was a "s" in app from the previous guy's instruction. so combining the expert instructions from the guys in this thread:

Use the below step first:
    ipkg remove com.palm.app.maps

If you encounter a "read-only filesystem" error, do the below to workaround the constraint:
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove com.palm.app.maps
    mount -o remount,ro /
    Thanks guys - was experiencing the same thing. When in the app catalog, "Maps" the blue progress bar would load about a quarter way and restart too back to zero continuously.

I simply used InternalZ and noticed that com.palm.app.maps existed but was mostly empty and that there was another folder called com.palm.app.maps-rebooter, which is the new Bing Maps (or something very similar, can't recall exactly).

I deleted the com.palm.app.maps folder, and renamed the folder with -rebooter to com.palm.app.maps and restarted the device. Works. Seems like the -rebooter folder was a temporary folder until a reboot but for whatever reason never worked.
    trowany likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmahy View Post

For some reason when I try it says not found and will not delete the folder. Is there another way to delete the folder?
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Have you installed BFG Maps? You can find it in the regular App catalog. It is pretty much like Google maps (uses their data) with a little extra oompf, and I think the ad version is free. If you donate something (I donated $5 twice...must have had an itchy trigger finger, but these Homebrew developers deserve some love) the ads go away. I use it to get better traffic info. Even after the loss of Google Maps app on webOS, BFG keeps on working. Having that AND Bing is a pretty good situation.
    Yeah, I installed BFG maps a while ago. I find the interface is much slower than Google maps was or Bing is. For example: I find pinch to zoom & dragging around the map to be virtually useless. I pretty much consigned BFG to when I want to use Street view for something.

Thanks for the suggestion all the same!
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfanjim View Post
    For some reason when I try it says not found and will not delete the folder. Is there another way to delete the folder?
    A question -- what state is your WebOS currently in (pick-one)?

1. Google Maps installed / never tried the 'Maps upgrade' to Bing
    2. Google Maps was upgraded with Bing -- so far, Palm hasn't done the 'update' thing to me & it's looking good
    3. Google Maps was upgraded with Bing -- AND Palm did the upgrade thing to me ... now, it tries to run Google maps again (I haven't re-upgraded yet)
    4. Google Maps was upgraded with Bing -- AND Palm did the upgrade thing to me ... but, I upgraded again (seeing the Google maps icon, but, it runs Bing).

To my understanding, the steps listed earlier in this post only work if you're in situation 1 or 3 above. That said, I'm not 100% sure about this.

I hope this helps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast