Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, all,

I am having a problem with my AT&T Veer spontaneously rebooting. Occasionally, I pull out the phone out of pocket and see the SIM PIN entry screen, indicating that a reboot took place.

It happens once every few days and for a while I could not pin down the circumstances in order to troubleshoot.

However, now I am convinced that it has to do with moving between cell sites, or maybe between provider networks, or possibly no-service and service area. This weekend, I traveled from New Jersey to Vermont and back - and every time I looked at the phone at rest stops, it would be off.

The battery was 1/2-full, so that should not be the issue. I had the phone in a pocket so presumably no vibration from vehicle.

I actually caught it in the act, at a little coffee shop in Massachusetts: I launched the Messaging App - while there was no service. It was slow loading, just waiting there. I discarded the card in order to try again: and, boom, the phone went off while I was looking at it!

After it rebooted, it behaved normally: I was able to launch messaging and review some old text messages, still with no cellular service present.

Now, back at home, it works OK, as if nothing happened.
    Any ideas on what may cause this? Anyone experienced that?

My phone is a rather stock Veer with 2.1.2 WebOS. The only patches I have are the Advanced Prefs and Advanced Menus from Sconix. No other patches or applications.

I am thinking about a complete restore of the system, but this "nuclear" option is time consuming and also makes me worry about a possible mishap or screw-up.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, Robert.
    Last edited by rdwalker; 11/06/2011 at 09:49 AM.
    well if you use preware and save restore you should be ok for the most part as far as restoring most data . but this just sounds like you should install several of the patches that correct bugs in webos , unthrottle download manager, muffle system logging, quiet powered messages, remove dropped packet logging, silence missing resource handlers, unset CFQ IO schedular. these will help and may stop that from happening .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    ... correct bugs in webos , unthrottle download manager, muffle system logging, quiet powered messages, remove dropped packet logging, silence missing resource handlers, unset CFQ IO schedular.... .
    Ouch! Ouch! I am already sweating. Apparently, using a WebOs phone is not for the timid...

Would you know it there is already a listing or a thread that indicates all suggested patches? I am afraid to install random stuff that is not required and may impair my phone. Especially, since I am not 100% sure if I know what those you have mentioned are about.

Thanks!
    first of all your phone is completely recoverable using webOS doctor provided by HP . second there are descriptions in preware before you install these patches that explain what they are and what they do . These were also tested on many many phones for a long time now and are pretty much safe for your phone . if you are worried about anything messing up your phone , then please stay away for the custom kernels that have been built for everyone to use . they would be about the only thing that could hurt your phone. because they can fry the processor but its seldom that a phone is fried. I have only heard of 2 or 3 phones that were fried and 1 of those was webOS internels that did that . and they are the ones managing preware and building kernels and lots of other stuff. of course it is at your own risk , doing anything with homebrew stuff.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  5.    #5  
    Well, I did install the cleanup patches suggested in post #2 (muffle logging, quiet powerd msgs, unset CFQ Scheduler, unthrottle download manager).

Did this a weekend ago, then had to fly to Michigan on business. For a whole week, the phone behaved well. I have been traveling by car there, including poor coverage areas - no reboots.

So, I was planning to write a congratulatory note to Shadavis08 upon return - but: almost immediately after I returned to New Jersey, the phone started misbehaving. Since Saturday (it's Monday now), it must have locked up or restarted at least half a dozen of times.

Now, that's pretty weird. No problem for a week, then suddenly all hell's breaking loose? ***?

Any ideas as to what is going on? As I mentioned in my OP, I have very few patches/apps installed. Yet there must be something specific to my situation, because I see no other reports of such trouble.

I am planning to "doctor" the phone this week, we'll see how it goes.
    do you have uberkernel installed ? if not try installing that and see if it helps . you dont even have to raise the kernel speed , but just install the kernel . also note that your phone is similar to a computer , a reboot is needed sometimes . anyways check your text convo's and if you have any that are long or if you have a lot of different convo's , try deleting them all and this will help . then go to your emails app and go to the individual trash folders for each email account and delete all trash . bith of these eat up ram memory and the uberkernel helps in this area as well as deleting this stuff . just ask if you need anything.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    also if you have not installed all those patches i mentioned in the second post please install those as well . now if none of this works i have one more thing i want to try but let me know after you have tried these first polease thanks .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Well, I did install the cleanup patches suggested in post #2 (muffle logging, quiet powerd msgs, unset CFQ Scheduler, unthrottle download manager).

Did this a weekend ago, then had to fly to Michigan on business. For a whole week, the phone behaved well. I have been traveling by car there, including poor coverage areas - no reboots.

So, I was planning to write a congratulatory note to Shadavis08 upon return - but: almost immediately after I returned to New Jersey, the phone started misbehaving. Since Saturday (it's Monday now), it must have locked up or restarted at least half a dozen of times.

Now, that's pretty weird. No problem for a week, then suddenly all hell's breaking loose? ***?

Any ideas as to what is going on? As I mentioned in my OP, I have very few patches/apps installed. Yet there must be something specific to my situation, because I see no other reports of such trouble.

I am planning to "doctor" the phone this week, we'll see how it goes.
    if I where you I would definitely see the Dr.

If it is happening while you're changing towers than the modem board may not be provisioned properly.

You have nothing to lose by dr'ing especially if you use save/restore ,preware and backup your USB drive.

Check out my 25 step process to getting your data back after doctoring in my Sig
    Btw, where in jersey are you.

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  9.    #9  
    Hey, Shadavis08, thanks so much for your patience with me. I do realize the phone is a bitty, overtaxed computer and I have no problem cleaning it occasionally by a reboot. But, this does not seem normal: even since I wrote my previous post a few hours ago, the phone locked up twice more. Once it rebooted, but once it stayed locked - and very warm, as if busy with something.

You'll agree that something is out of order.

do you have uberkernel installed ? if not try installing that and see if it helps . ... just ask if you need anything.
    No, no uberkernel yet (the only patches are Sconix' Advanced Menus and Prefs). I feel ambitious now, so I will do a Dr., but then will try your suggestion. By the way, I am very diligent about housecleaning memory: there are maybe only 10 or so messages in email, no trash, probably another 10 sms messages. No music, maybe a dozen pictures. In other words, phone is very empty.

What are "convo's"?

also if you have not installed all those patches i mentioned in the second post please install those as well . now if none of this works i have one more thing i want to try but let me know after you have tried these first polease thanks .
    As you recommended, I did install patches described in post #2: muffle sys logging, quiet powerd msgs, unset CFQ IO scheduler and unthrottel download manager.
    I did not install removal of dropped packet logging, silence missing resource handlers. One of these failed to install, the other could not be found in Preware. I'll try again.

It was after installing of these four patches, that I seemingly had a whole good week - but now it is bad again. I don't know if this is related to the network in NJ? Weird that it was all OK in Michigan... though probably coincidental.

I will try to reload everything via Dr., and will keep you posted on the progress. If no success, I may ask you for the one more suggestion you thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    if I where you I would definitely see the Dr.
    If it is happening while you're changing towers than the modem board may not be provisioned properly.... ... Check out my 25 step process to getting your data back after doctoring in my Sig

Sketch42, thanks for your advice. I am not sure anymore if this is related to changing the towers, because some of recent crashes were while stationary - and no issues last week while traveling hundreds of miles across Michigan.
    Since the phone crashed again, I am ambitious now and will try the Dr. I'll keep you posted - the 25 magic steps will come useful, I am sure.

I am located in Northern NJ: West Milford (Passaic County).

Regards, Robert.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
    Hey, Shadavis08, thanks so much for your patience with me. I do realize the phone is a bitty, overtaxed computer and I have no problem cleaning it occasionally by a reboot. But, this does not seem normal: even since I wrote my previous post a few hours ago, the phone locked up twice more. Once it rebooted, but once it stayed locked - and very warm, as if busy with something.

You'll agree that something is out of order.

No, no uberkernel yet (the only patches are Sconix' Advanced Menus and Prefs). I feel ambitious now, so I will do a Dr., but then will try your suggestion. By the way, I am very diligent about housecleaning memory: there are maybe only 10 or so messages in email, no trash, probably another 10 sms messages. No music, maybe a dozen pictures. In other words, phone is very empty.

What are "convo's"?

As you recommended, I did install patches described in post #2: muffle sys logging, quiet powerd msgs, unset CFQ IO scheduler and unthrottel download manager.
    I did not install removal of dropped packet logging, silence missing resource handlers. One of these failed to install, the other could not be found in Preware. I'll try again.

It was after installing of these four patches, that I seemingly had a whole good week - but now it is bad again. I don't know if this is related to the network in NJ? Weird that it was all OK in Michigan... though probably coincidental.

I will try to reload everything via Dr., and will keep you posted on the progress. If no success, I may ask you for the one more suggestion you thought of.

Sketch42, thanks for your advice. I am not sure anymore if this is related to changing the towers, because some of recent crashes were while stationary - and no issues last week while traveling hundreds of miles across Michigan.
    Since the phone crashed again, I am ambitious now and will try the Dr. I'll keep you posted - the 25 magic steps will come useful, I am sure.

I am located in Northern NJ: West Milford (Passaic County).

Regards, Robert.
    will you try something for me ? im thinking there is an issue with the backup app . open the back up app and turn off the back ups for 1 or 2 days and i bet it wont do that again. ive had the issue that the backup gets messed up and causes the processor to get stuck trying to continue backing up in the back ground . just give it a shot , turn off the back up and reboot the phone, after a few days turn it back on and see what happens.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  11.    #11  
    ... open the back up app and turn off the back ups for 1 or 2 days a....
    Certainly.

I just finished "doctoring" the phone. Clean reinstall of OS and of patches. Only those described above, in post #9, were installed.

I did, as recommended, turn off backup. If no more random reboots, I will turn in back on after a few days, to see the difference. Also, I do not want to run too long without backup since turning it off erases it from Palm servers.

On the off-chance that it is a hardware issue, I may try to snag a backup Veer off eBay.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks, Robert.
  12.    #12  
    Update - Tuesday morning.

No luck: the phone crashed again, laying on my desk. As I pressed the power button to wake it up, only upper half of the screen showed, then it went blank. Body very warm again.
    Unfortunately, neither "doctoring" nor stopping backup helped.

My plan is now:
    1. Without backup, I'll "doctor" the phone again tonight. That way I'll have it without any reinstalled apps or patches. I can reconfigure email myself.

2. If no success, then the uberkernel?

3. In parallel, I'll pick up another Veer off eBay, in case there is a hardware failure. I assume talking to AT&T is not useful, as they do not have these phones in stock anymore.

Question: the WebOS Dr process left a lot of data intact on the phone - generally a good idea. In this case, though, is there a way to completely wipe out everything? Just in case...

Thanks all!
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi, I had the same Problem with my veer, it rebooted randomly. Even full delete and doctor didn't help.
    Fortunatly that hasn't been a hardware issue.
    Seems, that the background timesync of the 'uhrenvergleich' app caused the random restarts.
    After removing of that app my veer ran without any reboots until now (several weeks).
    Regards
    Stefan
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by prebaco View Post
    Hi, I had the same Problem with my veer, it rebooted randomly. Even full delete and doctor didn't help.
    Fortunatly that hasn't been a hardware issue.
    Seems, that the background timesync of the 'uhrenvergleich' app caused the random restarts.
    After removing of that app my veer ran without any reboots until now (several weeks).
    Regards
    Stefan
    Hmm, interesting...

Uhren-Vergleich (Time comparison? World Clock?) - is this an add-on application? Or a default app?

I'll look for something like that - assuming that I can reboot the phone. Right now, it refuses to start up after latest crash, just sits there with the HP logo, everytime I force a reboot. Not good...

Thanks, Robert.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Hi, don't know wether that app has another title in a not german appcatalog.
    It syncs the time with a ntp server. I attached a screenshot from the appcatalog entry.

Regards
    Stefan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Hi, don't know wether that app has another title in a not german appcatalog.
    It syncs the time with a ntp server. I attached a screenshot from the appcatalog entry.

Regards
    Stefan
    That's "Clock Sync" in the UK.

I hope it doesnt crash the veer, mines just been released by customs and I use Clock Sync all the time on my Pre2!
  17.    #17  
    Hi, don't know whether that app has another title in a not German appcatalog...
    Thanks, Stefan- now I see what it is. I do not have that app installed, so it probably is not it.

By now it really looks like hardware crash: it does not even want to reboot anymore. By playing around with forced resets, I managed to get it running and at this very moment I am "doctoring" it again.

I intend to leave it completely stock for a while, no apps, no patches - no backup from Palm. This will tell me if I previously managed to download something harmful or is it indeed hardware.

Robert
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Did you already try to use a new palm account? I've had an account, that somehow crashed the veer again and again. No Problems with a new account (but there was no way to associate my bought apps with the new account ). You could connect the veer to a new account just to test, if the problem is account based. Your current account won't get lost.
    Cheers
    Stefan
    well I would try complete erase in the device info app then doctor and try signing into a new profile first , then if it still crashes I would say its a hardware issue.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  20.    #20  
    well I would try complete erase in the device info app then doctor and try signing into a new profile first , then if it still crashes I would say its a hardware issue.
    Yes, you are correct.
    Since I stopped the back-up, Palm server erased phone info anyway; it is as if I have a blank phone.
    I did the re-doctor that way and was able to bring the phone up.

It is running right now for about 3 hours without crash - I do not know if it means anything yet: hardware vs. software.

If successful (I hope) I will slowly bring up a few patches. I only need a minimum: Sconix's repeating reminders in Advanced notifications.

I am covering all bases, by the way: I also purchased a spare Veer on eBay.

I'll keep you posted about this saga. Thanks a lot for sticking here. Robert.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast