Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tEhLoNeR
  1.    #1  
    A few quick questions about the Veer, i'm looking for a good (cheap) MP3 player that i don't have to worry too much if it breaks on the job, and was just looking at some videos of the veer. I assume with Webos i can just use the veer as an MP3 and wifi device, and hopefully GPS if that works without a carrier?

I also want to ask Veer users if they have problems keeping the headphone jack adapter attached to the phone while using it, it would be a concern if it kept falling off the phone in my pocket/shirt etc.

Also since i have a touchpad, i could use the touch to share feature too, correct? which would be kind of cool as my family likes to use the touchpad too.

Last question - Battery life, while constantly playing music, what would be my expected battery life? I'm guessing 4-6 hours as that's comparable to my droid x.

Thanks for the help!
  2.    #2  
    cmon'! I know some of you guys still use veers, help a fellow webos user out.
    Battery life is amazing but i dont use the headphone jack... Sorry
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    lets see

1)50$ for an 8 mp3 player with a touchscreen... doesnt seem that bad to me, however thats debatable to some people. of course its hard to find a veer a 50 anymore, they go from 80-120$ last i checked ebay
    2) GPS in the veer iirc is aGPS which requires cellular towers, i could be wrong though
    3)the magnet is strong, but only if you pull it. if you push it towards yourself or away, it snaps off easily. if you dont want it falling off then just keep it attached to your headphones
    4)touch to share is not enabled, it needs a firmware upgrade. that upgrade we dont know when its coming, but theres some thats been spotted(theres a thread here somewhere) so its likely that its coming soon
    5)im not sure with that one, i dont really use my veer to listen to music. i use it to make calls and texts
    but i mostly get a day's worth of usage with minimal wifi usage and on edge

hope that helps you out somewhat
    gregcky likes this.
  5.    #5  
    thanks much, good advice. Ill probably pick up a panda veer this week.
    Headphone jack will fall off in your pocket.
    Don't know if GPS works without a carrier.

Just get a dedicated MP3 player. It will be smaller and have way more storage.
    I wouldn't recommend the Veer for your purposes.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    I have to agree will prejim. If it weren't for the headphone adapter I would say go for it but the adapter isn't great if you plan to be active while you use it. It works great if stationary though (car mount, desk, touchstone). I actually use my old pixi as an mp3 player for running, yard work and such and it has held up fine. You can find a pixi cheaper then a veer but it doesn't have the TTS feature.

I would like to note that stock music player is horrible so you may very well want to upgrade it.
    Last edited by Xethur; 11/07/2011 at 09:37 PM.
    I love everything webOS, but I would not recommend the Veer for an mp3 solution. When I first landed mine, I thought it would be worlds better than the Pre for that very function. It's super compact, and easy to run/exercise with. I had multiple headphone compatibility issues...one set of Klipsch & one set of Beats earbuds simply wouldn't play with the Veer. It would never recognize they were plugged in. It did work with cheaper headphones we had, but that was pretty pointless. (my wife & I each had Veers...one white & one black, both had the same issue).

The magnet. I didn't have so much of an issue with it falling off, but I routinely took it off the device, and when you do it sticks to everything. I lost it for two weeks b/c I dropped it in my car & it had stuck it self to an obscure piece of metal under my seat. Finally found it. No sooner than a week later, I had it in my laptop bag & it attached itself to one of my USB thumb drives...it took me forever to find it.

I gave the Veer 2 months, but I now use a Pre 3, and use my old Pre+ for my mp3 player. The Veer was a great little piece of hardware, but one of the uses I really saw benefit in (a compact touchscreen mp3 player) fell way short. Just my personal experience though. Hope this helps.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Quote Originally Posted by Xethur View Post
    I have to agree will prejim. If it weren't for the headphone adapter I would say go for it but the adapter isn't great if you plan to active while you use it. It works great if stationary though (car mount, desk, touchstone). I actually use my old pixi as an mp3 player for running, yard work and such and it has held up fine. You can find a pixi cheaper then a veer but it doesn't have the TTS feature.

I would like to note that stock music player is horrible so you may very well want to upgrade it.
    Can't believe I didn't explore this. I should have bought a cheap pixi. Also, you are correct...get a different music player. I 100% use Music Player Remix. It's fantastic.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    is how well it does with headphones
    I love the magnetic connector & have had no problem with it in my pocket while doing yard work and other household chores
    the sound from this little phone is outstanding, though of course this will vary with the source
    I use both the kit HP earphones and higher end Audio Technica ear buds both of which work well, but the HP offering tends to clip when at full volume which is not the case with the Audio Technica phones
    good luck with your Veer
    I love mine
  11.    #11  
    thanks for the responses, looks like i will be retiring my droid x as my go to MP3 player and upgrading to a galaxy nexus - it's too bad, if the veer had a more reliable headphone jack and 16gb or more of storage, i would of just flat out bought one, since they are only $80~~ online. Plus the pandas look cool