Page 9 of 74 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    if someone does not know linux I think those directions can be very confusing. I know I would have a difficult time.
    I know, but I recall offering my help, I was even willing to establish a remote session with the owner, just like with 2 of the 3 Pixis, but ... "PM the OP" wasn't an encouraging answer.

Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Hopefully msmitt will be open to a remote session after he is done working. this will be a huge accomplishment
    why msmitt have to open a linux remote session while the pixi backup guide is written for windows os?!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Biaggi View Post
    why msmitt have to open a linux remote session while the pixi backup guide is written for windows os?!
    someone tried using it on windows, but ended up not working

Quote Originally Posted by Max Biaggi View Post
    Hello from italy! i'm following this thread and i wanna help msmitt...
    if u are trying to backing up your veer with This pixi backup guide ,

you DON'T NEED TO INSTALL UBUNTU!

Just follow the instructions on your windows OS and you're done! Install JAVA JRE SDK then follow that guide!

p.s.: ah the second point, when the guide asks you to install novacom drivers, select the last veer WR doctor

Edit: ADDED MODIFIED INSTRUCTIONS FOR VEER
    Code:
    * Install java if you don't have it>>DOWNLOAD FROM HERE
    * Install the novacom driver, using Jason's Universal novacom installer (it will ask you to download a webos doctor file, you could select the 2.1.1 wr for veer).
    * Install the Palm SDK from here
    * Copy the file C:\Program Files\Palm\SDK\bin\novacom.exe to C:\windows
    * Install Cygwin on your machine, follow this pdf guide
    * Run the "Cygwin bash shell" from your windows program menu (It should be inside Cygwin)
    * Inside the shell window type the following:

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

when it gives "done", type:
    cd meta-doctor (PRESS ENTER)

mkdir downloads (PRESS ENTER)

Get this file, it's a webos doctor for a no-brand Veer (wr), it should work for this as we only need one file to boot the Veer, save it in C:\cygwin\home\yourusername\meta-doctor\downloads, rename it to webosdoctorp160unawr-2.1.1.jar

Plug in your Veer (charge mode) and type:

make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup   (PRESS ENTER)

You will get the uncompressing messages, then your Veer will reboot to enter a recovery mode, then you should get some unmounting messages, followed by Cloning messages, and at last some mounting messages. After that your Pixi should reboot again

This should be more than enough.

There will be a directory inside the clones directory, there's the place where the backup will be.
    Wish this can be helpful. I changed all links and references for veer!!!

thanks, but like before someone said it doesnt work on cygwin
    i didnt bother verifying if he was right, but its better to be safe than sorry
    besides, the commands should be the same, its just a different os

thanks for trying to help though
    good reply, thanks! sorry but i'm not a linux expert and i've tried to give my best help
    Someone please send me a PM with a phone number and I will let you do a remote session after I get off of work - I do not know linux at all so if I installed ubuntu and was not supposed to I wouldn't know. I do have ubuntu 11.10 installed with wireless ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by msmitt View Post
    Someone please send me a PM with a phone number and I will let you do a remote session after I get off of work - I do not know linux at all so if I installed ubuntu and was not supposed to I wouldn't know. I do have ubuntu 11.10 installed with wireless ready to go.
    The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe. You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

keep the faith ;-)
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I'm the one who tried Cygwin and it doesn't work because either Meta Doctor or Make doesn't run anymore from Cygwin. With Ubuntu via VirtualBox I got further but got stuck at when my Veer was supposed to reboot and make the backup. It wouldn't reboot (this was with 2.1.2). Could be due to VirtualBox, didn't try native Ubuntu. I am no Linux guru either but should be able to help via Remote Desktop, however traveling today :'(

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by msmitt View Post
    Send a PM to NuttyBunny w your info , if you're really interested in help..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I sent a PM to msmith offering my help later today. I have some *nix experience from class so I think I can figure this out. I'll be home in a couple hours so we might have this up later tonight if all goes well!

Either way, I'm glad to see that everyone's willing to help out!
    If this works I might seriously consider going back to my Veer from the Pre 3. I definitely love the screen size but miss the Veer more than I thought I would!
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    If this works I might seriously consider going back to my Veer from the Pre 3. I definitely love the screen size but miss the Veer more than I thought I would!
    I used my Pre2 for one day last week, cause I was travelling and wanted a spare battery, it felt waaayyyy too big. Back using the pre and happy

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Send a PM to NuttyBunny w your info , if you're really interested in help..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    +1

I may be able to help in 3-4 hours from now (check the post hour), 7-8pm central time. I'm in Mexico so maybe the phone call won't be an option.
    good news?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    im happy to see so many people working together to make this happen, it actually made me feel good.

well, keep going everyone and dont give up
    I am waiting with everything ready so talk to me on skype whomever wants to try it my handle is msmittt
    any updates?
    no contact yet everyone must be busy.
    I added you on Skype but you didn't accept the invitation yet I'm in GMT+1, so quite some time difference I guess anyway
    Maybe this would help, you get a 30 day free trial.

Web Meeting | GoToMeeting