Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    impostah says

service error (setpalmprofile): kind not registerd: com.palm.palmprofile:1:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
    impostah says

service error (setpalmprofile): kind not registerd: com.palm.palmprofile:1:
    Try to do a secure full erase from Device Info, that helps sometimes
    Maybe someone already asked that, but is it safe/stable to install patches from older webos versions on 2.2.4, i miss some patches i had on 2.1.2...

and if yes, a link to a tutorial would be nice...i already did it once but forgot everything.:/

thanks in advance
    The most of patches from 2.1.x feeds will work, you need to add them into your preware manually
    Quote Originally Posted by kaz89 View Post
    Maybe someone already asked that, but is it safe/stable to install patches from older webos versions on 2.2.4, i miss some patches i had on 2.1.2...

and if yes, a link to a tutorial would be nice...i already did it once but forgot everything.:/

thanks in advance
    In Preware, go to Manage Feeds and add the 2.1.2 feed as per screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hi Herrie, Thank you and all of the others who have tirelessly and selflessly dedicated so much of your time and talents to getting our Veers upgraded. I have been following this thread very close and think it's about time for me to upgrade to 2.2.3. Will you be adding a sticky to contain all of the latest?
    Shanghai'd Texan

Pre- > Pre+ > Pre+ > tPad32 > Veer > Pre3
    App Catalog (US) - China Mobile (PRC)
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I have a US veer that I imported into the UK. I've finally decided to upgrade to 2.2.3.

The upgrade and touch screen update when smoothly. I'm having major issues with the modem update. It freezes with no error very early on.

$ Modem is in Digital Offiline mode...
    $ Start reading NV item from modem (0 to 7167, 8000 to 9000) ......0340

So it starts counting up from 0, it never gets past 500 or so. The phone freezes and I can power it off and on again, so far the phone hasnt been bricked. I've used the Web doctor to get the phone back to 2.1.2 then repeated the upgrade process many times now.

I have fully erased and activated the phone with the help of impostah.

I've tried the following commands:

In Novaterm:

mkdir -p /tmp/media
    mount /dev/mapper/store-media /tmp/media

On command line pc/linux/mac:
    novacom run file://bin/cp -- /usr/lib/modem/broadwayumts.tar.gz /tmp/media
    novacom run file://bin/gzip -- -d /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar.gz

In Novaterm:
    cd /usr/bin
    PmModemUpdater < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar

as per comment #689 by Herrie.

Any help/advice will be welcomed. I've spent many hours on this now, I may have to go back to 2.1.2 permanently

CHeers
    try it with force switch

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -f < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    try it with force switch

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -f < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar
    I've just tried that, same issue. It froze at 570 this time. I'm not sure what else to try. Is it worth trying 2.2.4.

Connecting the Veer to the PC as a usb drive reveals I have 5.48 out of 5.63 GB free. THere are two broadwayumts files in the root of the usb drive. One .tar file at 22,108,160 bytes and another .tar.gz at 10,547,180 bytes, could these be corrupted?

On another note. I had problems with my Veer getting stuck at 'Setting Language' when going through the activation process. It turns out you need phone reception for it to get past that stage!
    You may first secure erase your usb drive then repeat the whole procedure once more
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I've done the secure erase which I initiated through device info. I repeated the PmModemUpdate.

I repeated the commands in #689

This time it failed due to no space left on the device:

fread():: No Space left on device
    $ Missing: partition.mbn
    $ Missing: dbl.mbn
    $ Missing: osbl.mbn
    $ Missing: emmc_appsboot.mbn
    $ Missing: adsp.mbn

It them bombs out to the command line.

I can ask which mode I should have the phone in when connecting to the PC to carry out these tasks, Dev mode on/off, Just Charge/USB drive
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymatt View Post
    I've done the secure erase which I initiated through device info. I repeated the PmModemUpdate.

I repeated the commands in #689

This time it failed due to no space left on the device:

fread():: No Space left on device
    $ Missing: partition.mbn
    $ Missing: dbl.mbn
    $ Missing: osbl.mbn
    $ Missing: emmc_appsboot.mbn
    $ Missing: adsp.mbn

It them bombs out to the command line.

I can ask which mode I should have the phone in when connecting to the PC to carry out these tasks, Dev mode on/off, Just Charge/USB drive
    Probably something went wrong in the process. Just re-do from scratch. You should have enough space.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I've got the modem flash process working again after starting the process from scratch, I used version 2.2.4 thinking I might have a better chance. It still freezes between 300 and 700. I've spent along time on this and have flashed the Veer quite a number of times now, there must be some hardware issue somewhere stopping it from working. Looks like I'll have to go back to 2.1.2 for the data connection.

Thanks to everyone that has helped
    no unbricking software yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by wackymatt View Post
    I've got the modem flash process working again after starting the process from scratch, I used version 2.2.4 thinking I might have a better chance. It still freezes between 300 and 700. I've spent along time on this and have flashed the Veer quite a number of times now, there must be some hardware issue somewhere stopping it from working. Looks like I'll have to go back to 2.1.2 for the data connection.

Thanks to everyone that has helped
    I suspect it's your PC. I had the same issue and this is how I bricked 2 Veers However last time I used a different USB port (back of PC instead of front) and it seems more stable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I suspect it's your PC. I had the same issue and this is how I bricked 2 Veers However last time I used a different USB port (back of PC instead of front) and it seems more stable!
    I spent half an hour just doing this, and repeated god knows how many times before it worked. I had the same issue where it kept stopping. I bricked on device thinking it finished when it hadnt.

Just keep restarting it, eventually it'll work.

B
    Hi guys, I have an issue here.
    I tried to make a modem update using "PmModemUpdater < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar -f"
    From the begging it went pretty weird, not really like in Herrie's video (without counting).
    Finally, Novaterm stuck with:

$ PmWanDaemon Stopper successfully! (it's the 2162 process)
    $ Located palm_nv_item.txt file in tar file
    $ Modem is in Digital Offline mode...
    $ Sta

And that is it! It stuck like this for about 15-20 min.
    My Veer seems to be turned off and novaterm is not making any progresses.
    What should I do now? Could anyone give me a piece of advice?

Ok, the problem solved. I didn't dare to disconnect the Veer from my pc, nor to close the Noveterm.
    I decided to use WebOs Quick Install Linux Command Line and repeated the procedure:
    "PmModemUpdater < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar -f" (without closing Novaterm).
    This time it went well, almost as in Herrie's video.
    Actually I don't know why I had this problem, maybe it's because my novaterm or because I used directly "PmModemUpdater < /tmp/media/broadwayumts.tar -f" without using "sh mdmupdate.sh".
    Anyway, it's ok now=)
    Last edited by A51Vadim; 01/25/2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: update
    Open new session with WOQI or Novaterm and try to repeat the update.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Success!!!!!

After reading A51Vadim's post, I thought maybe novaterm is the issue. I tried using the command line in Quick Install to update the modem, it worked first time!!

I'm now fully updated running 2.2.4 with data connection working.

I was originally using Novaterm64 for windows, I cant see the version but its dated back to 2009, the download link was highly ranked on google. I dont know if there is a more recent version of Novaterm to try.

Anyway, using the command line in Quick Install 4.3.1 did the job. If any one else is having freezing issues with the modem update, this command line tool is well worth a try

Thanks again to everyone for various hints and tips to help getting my Veer fully functional
    Just remember that 2.2.4 is not final release and have several bugs like only mono with wired headphones.
    Performance is better than it was on 2.1.2, but not significantly.