Page 6 of 74 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Yup looks like it.... It wasn't mentioned anywhere. Does anyone have proper instructions for Ubuntu 11.04 or can I follow the ones at https://developer.palm.com/index.php...t=page&id=1585 ?
    What about this?

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...-v1-2-1-a.html
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    no drivers for webos 2.X from what i see there

Yup looks like it.... It wasn't mentioned anywhere. Does anyone have proper instructions for Ubuntu 11.04 or can I follow the ones at https://developer.palm.com/index.php...t=page&id=1585 ?
    it should work, just download the right binaries for you system
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    FWIW I never had much success with Cygwin when I was messing around with my Pixi. It seemed like novacom would always get stuck and never exit so that the scripts could go on to the following lines. Eventually I installed WUBI and that worked like a champ pretty much right out of the gate. I think it came with novacom already installed, at least I don't remember having to do anything to install it.
    1) There is no 2.2.3 doctor. Any Veer devices with 2.2.3 on them have come from Palm employees who have OTA updated them against an internal Palm server which the general public does not have access to.

2) A Pre 3 doctor won't work on a Veer.

3) Even if WebOS Internals got the 2.2.3 files off some person's device, the files are not legally redistributable.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OK I got it installed, seems to hang now on:
    Code:
    tar -C build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/rootfs --wildcards \
    		-f build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/webOS/nova-cust-image-broadway.rootfs.tar \
    		-x -T build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/ipkgs-file-list.txt ./boot ./lib/modules ./md5sums*
    touch build/veer-p160una-att-2.1.2/.unpacked
    novacom -w run file://sbin/tellbootie recover || true
    Veer doesn't seem to reboot, any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    1) There is no 2.2.3 doctor. Any Veer devices with 2.2.3 on them have come from Palm employees who have OTA updated them against an internal Palm server which the general public does not have access to.

2) A Pre 3 doctor won't work on a Veer.

3) Even if WebOS Internals got the 2.2.3 files off some person's device, the files are not legally redistributable.

-- Rod
    Can a meta doctor be made from the files on the 2.2.3 veer & current 2.1.1 dr?

Asking from my ignorance

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

-- Rod
    It was done for the Pixi+, I guess as it's hosted externally somewhere and not on PreCentral it could be OK?

It's also not very ethical of the HP/Palm employees to sell the 2.2.3 and when you ask them for a Doctor or backup to say they have a 'NDA' (which doesn't apply to selling devices with a non released INTERNAL software version)???
    I might have blackouts in my ethics if I worked for HP as a Palm employee. Who knows, maybe they have permission to install 2.2.3 on their phones and no one told them not to sell the phones. Its not like we're talking about apple and a leaked / lost iphone prototype here.
    Tikerz likes this.
    It was done for the Pixi+, I guess as it's hosted externally somewhere and not on PreCentral it could be OK?

It's also not very ethical of the HP/Palm employees to sell the 2.2.3 and when you ask them for a Doctor or backup to say they have a 'NDA' (which doesn't apply to selling devices with a non released INTERNAL software version)???
    It may or may not be ethical for Palm employees to sell these devices, but that doesn't make redistribution of software okay. PreCentral will not allow you to post a link to illegal software regardless of where it's hosted.

I want 2.2.3 as much as anyone else with a Veer, but let's not go about it illegally.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Xethur and hewigovens like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    It may or may not be ethical for Palm employees to sell these devices, but that doesn't make redistribution of software okay. PreCentral will not allow you to post a link to illegal software regardless of where it's hosted.

I want 2.2.3 as much as anyone else with a Veer, but let's not go about it illegally.
    Why was it allowed for Pixi+ then and not for Veer? I think the situation is the same for both cases? For Pixi+ there were instructions on how to update + some files hosted on someone's blog, readily linked from here.

No Doctor files or anything else was offered? If the same would be done for the Veer, why would that be a problem all of the sudden?

I'm just trying to see where you put a line and what your criteria are because both cases look very similar to me?
    Why was it allowed for Pixi+ then and not for Veer? I think the situation is the same for both cases? For Pixi+ there were instructions on how to update + some files hosted on someone's blog, readily linked from here.

No Doctor files or anything else was offered? If the same would be done for the Veer, why would that be a problem all of the sudden?

I'm just trying to see where you put a line and what your criteria are because both cases look very similar to me?
    Both cases involve illegal redistribution of proprietary software. There is no difference.

I suspect you won't find a direct link to such files on PreCentral, or on the blog you are referencing.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    The employee who sold it has already broken a legally binding agreement with their employer not to disclose that NDA information. I doubt the ethical treatment of the buyer is high on their list of priorities.

-- Rod
    The blog notes that he will take down the files as soon as Palm asks so I think Palm simply doesn't care. I really doubt pursuing the takedown of rogue updates is high on their priorities list given the current state of things

Now to see where I can find one of these Veers...
    Quote Originally Posted by WinampLlama View Post
    The blog notes that he will take down the files as soon as Palm asks so I think Palm simply doesn't care. I really doubt pursuing the takedown of rogue updates is high on their priorities list given the current state of things
    On the contrary, when trying to sell an asset, one would expect that you want to prove to any potential buyer that you have full copyright control over that asset and have not allowed your legal position to be eroded by unauthorized redistribution.

Just two weeks ago, whole threads at XDA suddenly disappeared when they started linking to HP files ...

But that is something for HP to decide and act upon if they choose. PreCentral simply follows the law I expect.

-- Rod
    Same as before, I'm willing to help. Weird that the meta doctor backup target doesn't work in cygwin, last time I checked (the 2.1 Pixi times), I left it working, just for that, with cygwin.

PM me, I skimmed the thread, I didn't get usernames
    Both cases involve illegal redistribution of proprietary software. There is no difference.

I suspect you won't find a direct link to such files on PreCentral, or on the blog you are referencing.

-- Rod
    That's correct, but I'm sure that Google won't give you many hits on a filename like e4014e63a755ac02a63478047ad21d7e.tgz
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Same as before, I'm willing to help. Weird that the meta doctor backup target doesn't work in cygwin, last time I checked (the 2.1 Pixi times), I left it working, just for that, with cygwin.

PM me, I skimmed the thread, I didn't get usernames
    i hope you pm'ed the OP, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $he$'$s$ $the$ $only$ $one$ $here$ $with$ $a$ $veer$ $on$ $2$.$2$.$3$

i'll be willing to help, but i doubt i'll be much help right now
    That's correct, but I'm sure that Google won't give you many hits on a filename like e4014e63a755ac02a63478047ad21d7e.tgz
    Yes, the filename obviously served it's intended purpose well.

-- Rod
    Good news! Another one popped up on ebay

Currently going for 120 with 6 days left!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinampLlama View Post
    Good news! Another one popped up on ebay

Currently going for 120 with 6 days left!
    its the same guy selling it
    wow idk if this is a good deal or not, 120 is kind of high for a veer, but the accessories seem worth it

i wonder how many phones this guy sold that had 2.2.3