Page 50 of 74 FirstFirst ... 40454647484950515253545560 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1474
Like Tree144Likes
  1. #981  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    any fixes on the bricked veers yet with the a6 chip or no?
    Not at the moment, my guy in Germany went silent

    I can think of 1 way to do it, but it's not for the faint-hearted and I am not sure it will work:

    While a working Veer is running, transplant the "broken A6" to the working Veer and flash it.

    So called hot-flashing. I did this in the past sometimes with a PC bios chip. It's risky, but MIGHT work.
  2. #982  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Not at the moment, my guy in Germany went silent

    I can think of 1 way to do it, but it's not for the faint-hearted and I am not sure it will work:

    While a working Veer is running, transplant the "broken A6" to the working Veer and flash it.

    So called hot-flashing. I did this in the past sometimes with a PC bios chip. It's risky, but MIGHT work.
    I'm familiar with this method, but it generally involves socketed chips. Revived a computer that caught CIH.EXE (zeroes out CMOS/BIOS, bricks motherboards) that way, back in the early '00s. Live-soldering is quite dangerous, especially without the right tools, especially with such small chips.

    Is there any way, on a working device to extract from, and write to, the bootloader area that does the a6 check and jumps to displaying NoBatt.tga (logo-nobatt)? (Assuming this is the image Bootie/IPL calls up on a bad a6.)
    Or writing to the NoBatt.tga area?

    I have an idea that may prevent future bricks on a6 updates, by writing a modified bootloader, which jumps past the a6 check, or at least the failure condition thereof. It'll require said bootloader file (which I can extract from my live Veer), some disassembly analysis, and in the end, a small patch that can be applied (since the bootloader's almost certainly copyrighted, proprietary code, not to be redistributed).
    If the file I'm looking for is boot-broadway.bin, then I already have it.

    Or, if the bootloader can't be modified, changing the NoBatt.tga/logo-nobatt and putting in an overflow could possibly work, if the code that puts the targa on the framebuffer is crude enough, doesn't check lengths, etc. This has been done to hack video game consoles; but in this case, it's strictly a preventative measure. I would still need the bootloader itself though.

    My goal is a safe bootloader-to-a6 relationship.
    sbock, Paralel, oholika and 1 others like this.
  3. #983  
    thanx Herrie... it worked in only 1 minute....
    Attached Images Attached Images
  4. #984  
    I'm waiting for some hardware to have my own means of fixing the veer. I'm still hoping that an HP/palm engineer might enlighten us about the pinout of the board.
  5. W0153R's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #985  
    Thnx a million Herrie!
    My phone had a problem, in calls I would hear noise when my keyboard was slid out, and when with the keyboard closed the other end would hear noise, but thanks to the new modem firmware there's no noise anymore! (But I guess a reflash of the old firmware might have worked too, which I would have never thought off).
  6. uack's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    #986  
    Thank you Herrie, i updated my veer a week ago.
    I've only a problem, i can't get data (3g or 2g) to work, and when i change APN i get the 'Invalid Internet APN Settings' message. Any suggestione on what can i do? Should i updatethe modem firmware?

    EDIT: Fixed updating the modem firmware. Thank you again!
    Last edited by uack; 12/23/2011 at 04:38 PM.
  7. #987  
    Quote Originally Posted by uack View Post
    Should i updatethe modem firmware?
    YES.
  8. #988  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrue View Post
    I'm familiar with this method, but it generally involves socketed chips. Revived a computer that caught CIH.EXE (zeroes out CMOS/BIOS, bricks motherboards) that way, back in the early '00s. Live-soldering is quite dangerous, especially without the right tools, especially with such small chips.

    Is there any way, on a working device to extract from, and write to, the bootloader area that does the a6 check and jumps to displaying NoBatt.tga (logo-nobatt)? (Assuming this is the image Bootie/IPL calls up on a bad a6.)
    Or writing to the NoBatt.tga area?

    I have an idea that may prevent future bricks on a6 updates, by writing a modified bootloader, which jumps past the a6 check, or at least the failure condition thereof. It'll require said bootloader file (which I can extract from my live Veer), some disassembly analysis, and in the end, a small patch that can be applied (since the bootloader's almost certainly copyrighted, proprietary code, not to be redistributed).
    If the file I'm looking for is boot-broadway.bin, then I already have it.

    Or, if the bootloader can't be modified, changing the NoBatt.tga/logo-nobatt and putting in an overflow could possibly work, if the code that puts the targa on the framebuffer is crude enough, doesn't check lengths, etc. This has been done to hack video game consoles; but in this case, it's strictly a preventative measure. I would still need the bootloader itself though.

    My goal is a safe bootloader-to-a6 relationship.
    A noble goal. I'd be happy to test any boatloader you can create, on my personal Veer. I'm probably going to have to send it back to Palm for further repair since the one they sent me has a faulty "." button. If I had to send it back for a software problem resulting from testing I wouldn't care.

    Quote Originally Posted by dogber1 View Post
    I'm waiting for some hardware to have my own means of fixing the veer. I'm still hoping that an HP/palm engineer might enlighten us about the pinout of the board.
    I'm not sure it would make a difference. I sent my Veer to Palm for repair after the A6 update failed and I got the "?" battery boot screen. When I called to inquire about the status of my repair I was told, according to the notes left in my repair order from the tech working on it, that my Veer was "unrepairable" and I'd be getting a refurb unit under the warranty for the unit.

    If Palm can't fix it I'm not sure anyone can. But how hard they actually tried to fix it is, of course, open to debate.
  9. #989  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralel View Post
    If Palm can't fix it I'm not sure anyone can. But how hard they actually tried to fix it is, of course, open to debate.
    When the hardware is manufactured, i.e. the components are placed on the board, it is in a similar state - there isn't any firmware on any of the chips other than maybe a boot rom of the qualcomm MSM. This is why there are testable pads on the board: after manufacturing, these pads are probed with pogo pins on a "bed of nails" to perform basic functionality tests and to program bootstrap loaders. I am hoping that either JTAG or spy-by-wire pins are exposed for the A6 - it's a msp430 after all.

    For the HP support, it boils down to the fact that repairing the device would be more expensive than just replacing it.

    Happy festivus everyone!
  10. #990  
    Anyone else having trouble with the lighting of the keyboard after updating?

    When my Veer is on the Touchstone, the LEDs are on, but when I take it off and turn the screen off once, they remain dark.

    Furthermore something I believe is supposed to be a "fix" for the issues I had with 2.1.x: the display is not turned on anymore when I slide the keyboard out.
  11. #991  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Anyone else having trouble with the lighting of the keyboard after updating?

    When my Veer is on the Touchstone, the LEDs are on, but when I take it off and turn the screen off once, they remain dark.

    Furthermore something I believe is supposed to be a "fix" for the issues I had with 2.1.x: the display is not turned on anymore when I slide the keyboard out.
    make a secure full erase from device info , and all will be perfect
    - HP Veer --
  12. #992  
    I followed the instructions to update an ATT unlocked Veer.
    First, I "cleaned" the phone so it was "virgin" berfore starting Herries procedure.
    First try:....
    I started and everything went fine and did the tpupdate, didn't update the Modem. Restarted the phone and realized that the phone had signal, but no able to receive or make calls, no data, no able to configure APN, and I tried to dial using "+" and full number (country and number) and while pressing 0 it didn't change to + (weird).
    Installed impostah, and looked for the profiles to be deleted, didn't find them, so I restarted with full erase.
    Wasn't able to login to my profile, as I wasn't getting Data, tried to modify APN settings but no luck.
    Second try:...
    After doctor the phone to 2.1.2 (verified that phone still worked), went on the second try.
    I did the whole update process including modem (For tp and mdm I connected via QuickInstall, and got full screen progress while updating the modem). Then I tried to make calls (full signal), and no luck, no data, called to my cell, but the phone didn't ringed, tried to modify APN settings and no luck.
    Did the full erase to login profile, but not being able to modify the APN settings.
    Third try:...
    Verified the phone with 2.1.2 and worked OK. Proceeded as Second try, but before I did full erase, I replaced the carrierdb file with the one I got from working 2.1.2 file. No Luck.

    NOTE: I found that the TP keeped updated on the last version (2.2.3) after doctoring with 2.1.2. Don't know if it happened the same with the modem (any thoughts on how to verify it). Question, is it possible to go with mdm update without going with the full update?

    Waiting for your suggestions or help
    Last edited by andresigno; 12/26/2011 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Error on message description
  13. #993  
    That might be useful - is updating modem and A6 on stable-no-mod-virgin 2.1.2 going to be more failsafe?
  14. #994  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
    make a secure full erase from device info , and all will be perfect
    An erase (not "secure") was the first thing I did after installing 2.2.4. Might give it a try. Up until now I'm lucky that the Veer's keyboard is pretty good and I can type without looking
  15. #995  
    I manage to get all the way through to the Impostah part. When I try to Activate I enter my existing profile email address and password and I get the following error:

    Service Error (setPalmProfile):
    kind not recognised:
    'com.palm.palmprofile:1'

    If I try to Create New Profile I get similar with 'email address already in use'

    I I click on Accounts I get the following:

    Service Error (listAccounts)
    <followed by the query it is trying to execute>
    If I click OK there are no accounts listed (no '"Dr. Skipped Firstuse" to delete)

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Thanks.
  16. #996  
    Quote Originally Posted by markwightman View Post
    I manage to get all the way through to the Impostah part. When I try to Activate I enter my existing profile email address and password and I get the following error:

    Service Error (setPalmProfile):
    kind not recognised:
    'com.palm.palmprofile:1'

    If I try to Create New Profile I get similar with 'email address already in use'

    I I click on Accounts I get the following:

    Service Error (listAccounts)
    <followed by the query it is trying to execute>
    If I click OK there are no accounts listed (no '"Dr. Skipped Firstuse" to delete)

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Thanks.
    Try to do a Secure Full Erase. I had this too sometimes, but not all times
  17. mefm247's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #997  
    Everything worked beautifully including the A6 update. Veer is finally the phone I always wanted. Thanks for all the hard work and the bricked veers...
    Pre3/Veer/Touchpad 64 Panda
  18. #998  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    An erase (not "secure") was the first thing I did after installing 2.2.4. Might give it a try. Up until now I'm lucky that the Veer's keyboard is pretty good and I can type without looking
    Full erase didn't improve anything. My keyboard is still dark except when it's on the TS
  19. #999  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Try to do a Secure Full Erase. I had this too sometimes, but not all times
    No, that didn't work either. I did the SFE then got the standard webOS profile login sequence. I entered my credentials and I then got an error saying that it couldn't log me in and I needed to 'Enter My Phone Details'. Phone details looked OK so I confirmed and then it just goes to 'Signing In...' with the spinning wheel and stays stuck like that. Tried rebooting but no joy.

    I have reinstalled 2.1.2 again. That's three attempts now - guess I will just have to wait for the OTA update :-(

    EDIT: Actually, just wondering if it is the modem that isn't working correctly. I didn't do the modem update - wimped out after reading all the warnings!
    Last edited by markwightman; 12/29/2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: More info
  20. #1000  
    so how do i update my veer? (didn't see any instructions on the thread, have i missed it?)

Posting Permissions