Page 49 of 74 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Not able to find the files and instructions for the A6 update. I know that seven, maybe more, Veers got bricked and so info about A6 was taken off.
    But I am also seeing posts by folks who successfully updated A6 and now have TTS. Since I am feeling lucky today, would like to take that plunge. Where do I go looking for the info and files?
    Have already made it to 2.2.4 and the updated modem drivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by krumbs View Post
    Not able to find the files and instructions for the A6 update. I know that seven, maybe more, Veers got bricked and so info about A6 was taken off.
    But I am also seeing posts by folks who successfully updated A6 and now have TTS. Since I am feeling lucky today, would like to take that plunge. Where do I go looking for the info and files?
    Have already made it to 2.2.4 and the updated modem drivers.
    Enter: sh a6update.sh
    This will take 2-3 minutes and will give NO FEEDBACK during the process! Make sure not to interrupt or you’ll have a bricked Veer!

#!/bin/sh
    /usr/bin/PmA6Updater /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt
    Quote Originally Posted by michel_ng View Post
    Enter: sh a6update.sh
    This will take 2-3 minutes and will give NO FEEDBACK during the process! Make sure not to interrupt or you’ll have a bricked Veer!
    Actually you need to do the following in Novaterm:

cd /usr/bin
    PmA6Updater /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt

Waiting can actually be more like 5 or so minutes in some cases, when you attempt, be VERY VERY VERY patient!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Ehm quite a few:

Apps:
    App Catalog v2.0.23300
    Facebook v1.5.62
    Forums v1.2.2
    Freecell v1.1.0
    Govnah v1.3.8
    Impostah v0.9.20
    JsTop v0.2.8
    Maps v3.1.32
    Music (Remix) v2.5.6
    Preware v1.9.7
    Quickoffice v1.0.10
    Reboot v0.0.1
    Tweaks v1.8.5

Linux Apps:
    GNU Patch v2.5.9-4
    Homebrew JSJSJS $Service$ $Framework$ $v1$.$0$.$1$
    LsDiff v0.3.1-1

Patch:
    Ad Blocker v2.2.3-19
    Advanced Reset Options v2.2.3-19
    Advanced System Behavior v2.2.3-41
    Advanced System Menus - Device Menu v2.2.3-25
    Advanced System Menus - Framework v2.2.3-13
    Advanced System Prefs - Email Prefs v2.2.3-28
    Advanced System Prefs - Framework v2.2.3-32
    Advanced System Prefs - Messaging Prefs v2.2.3-24
    Advanced System Prefs - Phone Prefs (ATT/VZW) v2.2.3-71
    Advanced System Prefs - System Prefs v2.2.3-24
    Buttah v2.2.3-54
    Capture with Volume Keys v2.1.2-31
    Character Counter v2.2.3-46
    Disable Compcache and enable linux Swap v2.2.3-83
    Disable Light Sensitive Dimming v2.2.3-69
    Disk Cache Mod v2.2.3-77
    Faster Card Animations HYPER Verion v2.2.3-88
    HP WebOS Carrier String v2.2.3-64
    Just Charge By Default v2.2.3-77
    Mojo Flick Regulator v2.2.3-77
    Mojo FPS Booster v2.2.3-73
    Mojo Smooth Scrolling v2.2.3-83
    Mojo Tap Responsiveness v2.2.3-83
    MP4 Video Downloader v2.2.3-21
    Prevent Removal v2.2.3-19
    Remove Tap Ripple v2.2.3-48
    Sync Fix for Stable Upload v2.2.3-87
    System Control Optimization v2.2.3-87
    UberCalendar v2.2.4-2
    Unthrottle Download Manager v2.2.3-21

Plugins:
    Messaging Plugins v3.0.6

Service:
    SysToolsMgr Service v1.0.5
    OK I got my battery back to normal, not really sure what caused it. It must have been one of the following, because I uninstalled these and afterward battery got "normal" again (2-3% loss per hour with 3G on with reasonable reception):

Ad Blocker v2.2.3-19
    Advanced System Behavior v2.2.3-41 (updated to v2.2.4.10 now)
    Advanced System Prefs - Email Prefs v2.2.3-28
    Advanced System Prefs - Framework v2.2.3-32 (updated to v2.2.4.10 now)
    Advanced System Prefs - Messaging Prefs v2.2.3-24 (updated to v2.2.4.10 now)
    Advanced System Prefs - Phone Prefs v2.2.3-71 (updated to v2.2.4.10 now)
    Advanced System Prefs - System Prefs v2.2.3-24 (updated to v2.2.4.10 now)
    Disable Compcache and enable linux Swap v2.2.3-83
    Disk Cache Mod v2.2.3-77
    Just Charge By Default v2.2.3-77
    MP4 Video Downloader v2.2.3-21
    Sync Fix for Stable Upload v2.2.3-87 (updated to 2.2.4-4 now)
    System Control Optimization v2.2.3-87
    Unthrottle Download Manager v2.2.3-21 (updated to 2.2.4-5 now)

I now also installed the following patches not installed before:
    Battery Percent and Icon (v2.2.3-94)
    Data in Device Menu (v2.2.3-19)
    GPS Icon On Top Bar (v2.1.2-31)
    GPS in Device Menu (v2.2.3-19)
    Mojo Speedy Switch (v2.2.4-5)
    Muffle System Logging (v2.2.4-7)
    Remove Dropped Packet Logging (v2.2.4-5)
    Ringer Switch Icon (v2.2.3-76)
    Unset CFQ IO Scheduler (v2.2.4-5)

Not really sure which one(s) caused the issue, but it's sorted now. I might want to opt to remove a few of the Top Bar patches and re-try the Advanced patches, because they offer an all-in-one solution instead of separate bits and pieces
    For me the Battery in 2.2.4 is much better than in 2.1.2. But it has much to do with cellular availability. I realize that every time... on my work place I get very unreliable GPRS-only coverage. My phones usually hardly last a day.... Now I'm on holidays and did not charge my Veer for two days with it always hanging on a stable Wi-Fi connection and it's going to the charger this evening. This is the main difference for me.

I don't have the Advanced System Prefs installed but Advanced Menu Device/Today/Power/Mode Menu, the disable compcache, disk chache mod, sync fix, system control optimization from your uninstalled patches.

I also have muffle system logging and remove dropped packet logging installed from the start.

For the "Select all" issue: You can still metatab+a for a select all, even if it's not in the menu (like you can do metatab+z on some apps for undo since 2.x). The phone app got awfully slow, I can second that... but I seldom use it.

The worst issue for me is an issue with umlauts in many apps in some control elements. At least it seems to be restricted to some elements... for example I can't search for stations with Umlauts in Bahnfahren and the E-Mail App shows strange characters instead of umlauts in the subject (in the body they are displayed correct!). PaperMache also confuses character encoding on some occasions while adding an article. They seem to have messed with character encoding in 2.2.4 and either some apps are faulty or something in the system is.
    My wife has similar issues on her Pre2 with official OTA 2.2.4, though.
    Actually you need to do the following in Novaterm:

cd /usr/bin
    PmA6Updater /lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt

Waiting can actually be more like 5 or so minutes in some cases, when you attempt, be VERY VERY VERY patient!
    Thanks a ton! That worked. Though it took around 3.40 tense minutes before the "firmware updated" line showed up! Phew!
    My Veer is not bricked, and I now have TTS! Yay!
    Well, just a doubt: the Veer losting Edge/3G connection when access the AppCatalog was solved?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by krumbs View Post
    Thanks a ton! That worked. Though it took around 3.40 tense minutes before the "firmware updated" line showed up! Phew!
    My Veer is not bricked, and I now have TTS! Yay!
    Good to hear, it's a tricky one indeed! Especially because there's NO feedback during the process....
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    What are the chances we will see an official update for the Veer?

I'm salivating over the idea of Skype and TTS, but can't afford to brick my phone.

Should I wait it out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Well, just a doubt: the Veer losting Edge/3G connection when access the AppCatalog was solved?

Best Regards...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by devil.insulted View Post
    +1
    With me it seems to work with 3500 version firmware for modem. App Catalog loads without any issues on T-Mobile 3G in NL.
    Skype isnt working well on webos 2.2.4, does anyone know how to reset it completly?
    any fixes on the bricked veers yet with the a6 chip or no?
    Guys, please test if there is stereo in headphones on 2.2.3 without A6 update
    installed the messaging plugin in 2.2.3 ... tried to add a google talk account, but i'm missing the "sign in" button, anyone experience this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mltan View Post
    installed the messaging plugin in 2.2.3 ... tried to add a google talk account, but i'm missing the "sign in" button, anyone experience this?
    This seems to be a bug in the plugins. I had the same with ICQ. Check the plugin thread for a fix. It's there I suspect. For ICQ it was necessary to fix a HTML or XML tag in 1 of the files. I don't really remember to be honest.
    Skype isnt working well on webos 2.2.4, does anyone know how to reset it completly?
    I had no problems with it so far? What problems do you have?
    EDIT 2: Tried the a6 update again. Updater says complete!
    Mounted /dev/store/root on /media/realroot, then cd'd to the correct fw dir and did the following:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos:/media/realroot/lib/firmware# [a6 updater binary] /media/realroot/lib/firmware/a6_firmware.txt
    fw file size: 47055
    fw file mapped at: 0x2ac63000
    Firmware update complete
    root@palm-webos:/media/realroot/lib/firmware#
    running tellbootie recover now... and SUCCESS!
    I'm in the bootie recovery, novaterm connects and I'm getting a bootie prompt! All is well so far!
    Now to boot out to the OS itself... looking good! And TTS does work!
    I must be delirious, delusional even, but it takes a crazy man to document this.

EDIT: I'm counting my chickens before they hatched. I in fact overwrote the existing A6 firmware, with the same exact A6 image, as that was what was in /lib/firmware at the rime, from the installer uImage.
    It's still on 2.51.18.
    Good news is, I overwrote it successfully!
    I will attempt this again, with the correct image, soon.
    I'll keep the old text here for anyone curious.

So I successfully updated my veer's a6 chip, and thought I would document what I did.

First, upgraded to os2.2.4. Upgraded the touchpanel.

Used it for a while, and realized the modem needed to be updated. I was experiencing random reboots while in-call, especially when I'd take the phone off my ear and the prox sensor kicked on the screen; and the EDGE/GPRS (T-Mobile) would fail to connect at all.
    I carried out the modem update about 3 days later, after I'd registered my webOS account and etc., by pushing the nova-installer-image-broadway.uImage through novacom boot mem://, pushing over the broadwayumts.tar to the correct directory, and running the updater binary. Uneventful; success.

After mulling over the device for the next fortnight, I got a Touchpad for Christmas.
    Wanting to experience the touch-to-share more and more and being willing to risk the veer for it, I took the plunge.

Same as the modem update, I booted using the 2.2.4 installer's install uImage and term'd in.

I collected my A6 version and modem version, as follows:
    Code:
    root@palm-webos:/# [modem update binary] -v
    [snip]                 
    ERR: Failure in Writing data to Modem...
    ERROR: Failure in Sending the data
    $ Error: Error(status =0) in disabling Extended Messages Reporting ..
    [snip]
    *       Modem Firmware Info                 *
    * HW VERSION    = 10430000
    * MOB MODEL     = FC5
    * EX BUILD ID   = BU2.5.00(3500)
    * RADIO TYPE    = BROADWAY UMTS
    $ Firmware version from Modem is 3500...
    $ Your device is ready for use.
    $ Current Options are
    root@palm-webos:/# [a6 updater binary] -g
    root@palm-webos:/#
    I redacted the names of the respective binaries to keep any old schmuck from screwing up their phone.

My A6 needed an update, since TTS wasn't functioning.
    I ran the actual update script, and it reported the version and took about 90-100 seconds to complete.
    It finished with "Firmware updated successfully!" or something similar.

I was psyched. tellbootie recover, and *bam!* it booted, no [?] battery, and when the screen dimmed and it showed up in novaterm, I knew it was without a doubt successful.

I don't suggest ANYONE update their A6. EVER.
    But if you must, I do definitely recommend taking down the A6 version, and modem firmware version beforehand, and reporting success or failure.
    It would be useful to all of us who are trying to crack the A6 problem once and for all.

I apologize in advance if it's bad form to make my first post extremely deep into the Veer, but not many daredevil Veer owners documented the procedure and data they took regarding their operation.

If you wish to milk me for any more information, feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by ttrue; 12/22/2011 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Wow, I can't believe I missed that.
    I had no problems with it so far? What problems do you have?
    I dont see pictures under Buddys List anymore so i cannot click on any skype user and write him a message. Your skype profile is without user picture too ...
    I dont see pictures under Buddys List anymore so i cannot click on any skype user and write him a message. Your skype profile is without user picture too ...
    With me on 2.2.4 it's fine. Could be some patch broke it?