Page 31 of 74 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 1474
Like Tree144Likes
  1. #601  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The number of Veer's in here bricked during the A6 update process is now up to 6.

    Potential A6 chip updaters consider yourself duly warned.
    This warning should be added to all places where the procedure is documented so far.

    [If it were me, I would have removed the procedure from the public arena after the first brick.]

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  2. dwc
    dwc is offline
    dwc's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    #602  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    OK A6 seems to be responsible for TTS!

    Jijian Zhang | LinkedIn
    Someone needs to buy that man a few drinks and pick his brain
  3. #603  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    if it is bricking I'm done with a dead software hopefully not because I really do love my veer I have to use my pixi for now I'm charging my ever right now and will see it that solvles the problem if not android will be my next stop.
    pre2 is rock solid and also supported by verizon.

    The big advantage of 2.2.3 is audio skype on the veer. That said, if one has a pad, they can do skype that way.
    TTS sharing website is nice but Veer screen is so small anyway and one can just type in web address if needed. From a laptop, one can also NEATO! to a webos phone or use this new datajog app which can also autodial from laptop and send notes and contacts

    SMs and phone sharing is useful but bluetooth runs down the battery to keep it on for sms, i would only do it if I was expecting a text from someone or prepared to recharge the pad after a few hours. Half the fun and convenience of the pad is long battery life.

    Cannot do calls from pad because people complain of echo.

    All-in-all, 2.2.3 is a "nice to have" but not a dealbreaker.
  4. #604  
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The number of Veer's in here bricked during the A6 update process is now up to 6.

    Potential A6 chip updaters consider yourself duly warned.
    Throw another one on the pile. The official number of dead now stands at 7.

    Think if I send it to HP they'll figure out I was responsible for the failure or they'll just repair it?

    Also, has anyone considered that maybe the battery is what is causing the problem? Maybe reprogramming the A6 bricked the battery, and now that the battery is bricked the Veer goes into some sort of failsafe mode when it thinks the battery is missing?

    If you guys don't think HP will fix it under warranty I guess I'll just have to hold out hope that someone here figures out what is needed to fix it.

    If anyone that has an established reputation here thinks they might be able to fix the problem I'd be happy to send my Veer along to them.
    Last edited by Paralel; 12/04/2011 at 05:49 AM.
  5. #605  
    Quote Originally Posted by Paralel View Post
    Throw another one on the pile. The official number of dead now stands at 7.

    Think if I send it to HP they'll figure out I was responsible for the failure or they'll just repair it?

    Also, has anyone considered that maybe the battery is what is causing the problem? Maybe reprogramming the A6 bricked the battery, and now that the battery is bricked the Veer goes into some sort of failsafe mode when it thinks the battery is missing?

    If you guys don't think HP will fix it under warranty I guess I'll just have to hold out hope that someone here figures out what is needed to fix it.

    If anyone that has an established reputation here thinks they might be able to fix the problem I'd be happy to send my Veer along to them.
    When I originally bricked the first Veer (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals), I exhausted all known avenues to repair it. It cannot be done with any publicly known knowledge, and it also cannot be done with any of the private knowledge I was able to glean in confidence from Palm employee contacts.

    It's dead, Jim. No-one knows how to fix it. Maybe someone smarter (or with better contacts, or with better Qualcomm chip information) than I will be able to do it sometime in the future. Who knows.

    Seriously, this procedure needs to be nuked before any other devices are destroyed.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  6. #606  
    always hoping in a official release of new fw......
    - HP Veer --
  7. #607  
    Hi,

    does with the new fw-version the Mobile Hotspot app work properly? Is it included?

    If so, this would be worth the risk rasing the brick-o-meter Honestly, this one main reasons keeping my old Desire, even though I like the Veer very much.

    Greetings.

    LK
  8. #608  
    let me put this out there whoever decides to update the a6 chip DON'T more then 50% will brick we have 7 so far.
  9. #609  
    Yup.. I'm glad I held out ..

    -- Sent from my Palm Touchpad using Communities
  10. #610  
    Hey look.... A brick sandwich :-P





    -- Sent from my Palm Touchpad using Communities
  11. #611  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When I originally bricked the first Veer (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals), I exhausted all known avenues to repair it. It cannot be done with any publicly known knowledge, and it also cannot be done with any of the private knowledge I was able to glean in confidence from Palm employee contacts.

    It's dead, Jim. No-one knows how to fix it. Maybe someone smarter (or with better contacts, or with better Qualcomm chip information) than I will be able to do it sometime in the future. Who knows.

    Seriously, this procedure needs to be nuked before any other devices are destroyed.

    -- Rod
    In that case, what will HP do? Give me a refurb Veer if I send it in for repair?
  12. kamalot's Avatar
    Posts
    194 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #612  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebenskuenstler View Post
    Hi,

    does with the new fw-version the Mobile Hotspot app work properly? Is it included?

    If so, this would be worth the risk rasing the brick-o-meter Honestly, this one main reasons keeping my old Desire, even though I like the Veer very much.

    Greetings.

    LK
    I'm confused. I use freeTether and it works like a charm, even on my 3G connection in India.

    The thing is a godsend. I didn't even bother getting a wired connection for my apartment here, and use FreeTether for everything.
  13. #613  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    From the kernel code, my suspicion is the A6 is an MSP430 variant.
    spot on - it disassembles as msp430 code.

    The veer boots with V_bat applied, but it fails to detect the battery and stops (question mark battery icon). There's maybe a way to force the device to boot - maybe an ex-palm hardware engineer can elucidate that.

    The front side of the board underneath the battery has group of four pins which I suspect to be rs232 to the boot loader - that might be also a way in. It might also be spy-bi-wire. I don't have a scope here right now to confirm though.
    Last edited by dogber1; 12/04/2011 at 12:39 PM.
  14. #614  
    Be interesting to see what operation system / procedure all the bricked veers are from? Theres only six so far (who have owned up anyway), maybe you could all reply let us know if it make a difference window / mac / linux, can't imagine why it would, but? Also what stage of the 2.2.3 update you were?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

  15. #615  
    All,

    Sorry for not bein around last 2 days, was spending some quality time with my girlfriend.

    I'm sorry to hear about all your bricked Veers! I don't understand how HP could come up with something so unreliable with regards to updates. I hope we'll be able to find a way to unbrick them. Curious though that there seem to be 2 different bricks (modem update failing will lead to HP logo and A6 update failing will lead to battery ?) For guys in the US I could probably get you in touch with a guy from Texas that was able to unbrick quite some phones in the past. I'll check with the guy in Germany where I sent my bricked Veer if he was able to find out something as soon as I get home. Since the phones are not completely dead there should be a way to revive them.

    I already removed the A6 update from the blog in order to avoid more bricks as Rod suggested and will create new backup archive excluding the scripts to update A6, solve the GPL, update disabled and also the tmp running out of space issue. I will also look at 2.2.4, this all when I get home in 15 mins.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Last edited by Herrie; 12/04/2011 at 02:44 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  16. #616  
    benefits of 2.2.3 without a6 update:

    better gps lock times
    better gps accuracy in southern hemisphere
    skype integration
    sms and phone both work with tpad.

    tts nice to have but not worth bricking your phone over.
  17. #617  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    All,

    Sorry for not bein around last 2 days, was spending some quality time with my girlfriend.

    I'm sorry to hear about all your bricked Veers! I don't understand how HP could come up with something so unreliable with regards to updates. I hope we'll be able to find a way to unbrick them. Curious though that there seem to be 2 different bricks (modem update failing will lead to HP logo and A6 update failing will lead to battery ?) For guys in the US I could probably get you in touch with a guy from Texas that was able to unbrick quite some phones in the past. I'll check with the guy in Germany where I sent my bricked Veer if he was able to find out something as soon as I get home. Since the phones are not completely dead there should be a way to revive them.

    I already removed the A6 update from the blog in order to avoid more bricks as Rod suggested and will create new backup archive excluding the scripts to update A6, solve the GPL, update disabled and also the tmp running out of space issue. I will also look at 2.2.4, this all when I get home in 15 mins.

    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    You can do all that in 15 min?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  18. #618  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You can do all that in 15 min?

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I will start looking at everything in 15 mins Restoring a backup for 2.2.4 already takes 15 minutes LOL
  19. tEhLoNeR's Avatar
    Posts
    97 Posts
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    #619  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I will start looking at everything in 15 mins Restoring a backup for 2.2.4 already takes 15 minutes LOL
    what exactly is the difference between 2.2.3 and 2.2.4?
  20. #620  
    Just did the the update.

    For the modem update putting the tar file on /tmp did not work. The modem update tar is around 22 megs, the updater itself needs another 22 in the /tmp, so I had to move it under /media/internals.

    Update was successful, needed to do a secure full erase. Google account does not want to log in after that (on edge, logged fine on wifi)
    Last edited by i4ko; 12/04/2011 at 04:37 PM.

Posting Permissions