Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    gps in southern hemisphere is looking good. My gps locks seem to happen in under 10 sec as opposed to minutes.

oh to a6 update or not.

hp should officially release this update or get 2.2.4 out there, if its ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    My texting isent working anyone know why?
    Can you make calls? I'm guessing you have to redo your modem firmware upgrade

Lag in general has improved a lot and SMS lag is nearly gone. Soooo much better than 2.1.2!
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Ive enabled beta kernels and nothing has come up so there is no kernels so maybe one day there will be.
    i know that, im just commenting that if you use save/restore to restore you preware stuff form 2.1.2, it'll show up

@baloo247, its up to you, if you have a touchpad, go for it, if not, dont bother
    have i bricked my veer im getting a battery with a question mark in the middle?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    seems like your veer cant find it's battery?

ask herrie and see if his bricked phones have the same condition
    if it is bricking I'm done with a dead software hopefully not because I really do love my veer I have to use my pixi for now I'm charging my ever right now and will see it that solvles the problem if not android will be my next stop.
    That is indeed the indication I got on my original bricked Veer (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals) when I messed with the A6 ...

Two years without an end-user bricked webOS device, and now how many from this thread?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is indeed the indication I got on my original bricked Veer (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals) when I messed with the A6 ...

Two years without an end-user bricked webOS device, and now how many from this thread?

-- Rod
    Out of curiousity, why are Veers so brickable compared to other webOS phones?
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts

-- Rod
    well 2 from herrie, and one from 74sickness

so including you thats 4 people, if i didnt miss anyone

wasnt really active in webos before i got that touchpad, is bricking really that hard to do on pre/2/pixi?

74sickness: hm you can try sending it to HP and see if they're willing to repair it, just be prepared to pay up, because you more or less broke the warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by WinampLlama View Post
    Out of curiousity, why are Veers so brickable compared to other webOS phones?
    Pre/Pre+/Pre2 all use OMAP, which has a USB-based raw-CPU recovery mode. Those are unbrickable.

The Veer has a programmable A6 chip, which controls the charging and TTS circuitry. Screw up the programming, and the device can no longer access the battery, and will not boot as a result. Since there is no known raw-CPU recovery mode, you can't fix the bad A6 programming to recover it.

It is unknown whether the Pre 3 and TouchPad have the same issue as the Veer. One would hope that they fixed the chicken-and-egg A6 programming/boot issue in the Pre 3 and TouchPad, but no ones knows at this point whether they did or not.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I bricked a veer as well.
    add another bricked veer - the front circuit board has a couple of pins which look as if they have been used for initial programming (jtag?). Chances are that you can probably use them to unbrick the veer. If we're lucky, it might just need a power supply.

are there datasheets available for the ominous A6 chip?
    Last edited by dogber1; 12/04/2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: typo
    5 bricked veer wow this is becoming a joke now im just going to get the samsung galaxy nexus and i should be happy but ill miss the webOS internals and the precentral family
    Quote Originally Posted by dogber1 View Post
    add another bricked veer - the front circuit port has a couple of pins which look as if they have been used for initial programming (jtag?). Chances are that you can probably use them unbrick the veer. If we're lucky, it might just need a power supply.

are there datasheets available for the ominous A6 chip?
    Hey Dogber1, I'm a fan of your open source work on unlocking webOS devices.

There are rumours of a QCOM DL mode, accessed by Vol-down+power, but I don't have any confirmation, protocol, or tools to access that.

From the kernel code, my suspicion is the A6 is an MSP430 variant.

-- Rod
    ......................hope that they fixed the chicken-and-egg A6 programming/boot issue in the Pre 3 and TouchPad, but no ones knows at this point whether they did or not.-- Rod
    Could this be why they (HP) are holding off on the tts update? ie: too many punters would brick phones even using a sanctioned update? HP don't want that liability
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 12/04/2011 at 12:26 AM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

rod, likewise - your work for webos is fantastic.

I've decoded the a6 firmware - the only strings in it are:
    Code:
    $ strings -10 a6_firmware.bin 
    0AThis device's maker has agreed to Palm's Peripheral Connection License terms & conditions.
    I agree to Palm's Peripheral Connection License terms & conditions.
    #:A;A<A=A>A?A
    ;A<A=A>A?A
    J9A:A0ALL<
    0A4A5A6A7A8A9A:A0A|@C
    The phone seems to be dead - there is no activity on the usb bus no matter what button combinations are pressed. That's probably an effect of the inactive charging circuitry (?).
    Quote Originally Posted by dogber1 View Post
    rod, likewise - your work for webos is fantastic.

I've decoded the a6 firmware - the only strings in it are:
    Code:
    $ strings -10 a6_firmware.bin 
    0AThis device's maker has agreed to Palm's Peripheral Connection License terms & conditions.
    I agree to Palm's Peripheral Connection License terms & conditions.
    #:A;A<A=A>A?A
    ;A<A=A>A?A
    J9A:A0ALL<
    0A4A5A6A7A8A9A:A0A|@C
    The phone seems to be dead - there is no activity on the usb bus no matter what button combinations are pressed. That's probably an effect of the inactive charging circuitry (?).
    Yes, my original bricked Veer would not enumerate.

-- Rod
    The number of Veer's in here bricked during the A6 update process is now up to 6.

Potential A6 chip updaters consider yourself duly warned.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The number of Veer's in here bricked during the A6 update process is now up to 6.
    Potential A6 chip updaters consider yourself duly warned.
    so do palm/HP have a more foolproof way of updating these, that we don't know about?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by dbmgreen View Post
    so do palm/HP have a more foolproof way of updating these, that we don't know about?
    HP is using the same command in the Doctor...