Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cn.fyodor View Post
    Thanks for your efforts, Herrie. I've read the Makefile, you indeed scared me. XD

Just one question, if I haven't run A6 and Modem updater scripts, I always have a chance to use Doctor back to webOS 2.1.2. Right?
    Yes Correct. The PmTpUpdater updates the touchscreen firmware, otherwise it doesn't work.

Yes you can Doctor back to 2.1.2
    @all riscing their Veers. Thanks. I love this thread as I did whith the nuttys pixi thred.
    I got one of the 2.2.4 Veers from the ebay guy in germany. Is there some write up on how you did manage to do the backup? I got a bit lost in this > 20 pages thread...

I would like to create a backup for my own safety and maybe there is some difference between 2.2.4 and 2.2.3, so I'm also willing to make the backup available for people to try...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I got one of the 2.2.4 Veers from the ebay guy in germany. Is there some write up on how you did manage to do the backup? I got a bit lost in this > 20 pages thread...

I would like to create a backup for my own safety and maybe there is some difference between 2.2.4 and 2.2.3, so I'm also willing to make the backup available for people to try...
    Great Happy to work with you on this! Just contact me by Skype/ICQ/MSN/Yahoo or AOL P.s. where are you from?

This is for making the backup in Linux. You can install Ubuntu in VirtualBox in order to make the backup.
    Code:
    * Install java if you don't have it
    * Install the novacom driver, using Jason's Universal novacom installer (it will ask you to download a webos doctor file, you could select the 2.1.1 wr for veer).

git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git

when it gives "done", type:
    cd meta-doctor (PRESS ENTER)

mkdir downloads (PRESS ENTER)

Get this file, it's a webos doctor for a no-brand Veer (wr), it should work for this as we only need one file to boot the Veer, save it in \home\yourusername\meta-doctor\downloads, rename it to webosdoctorp160unawr-2.1.1.jar

Plug in your Veer (charge mode) and type:

make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup   (PRESS ENTER)

You will get the uncompressing messages, then your Veer will reboot to enter a recovery mode, then you should get some unmounting messages, followed by Cloning messages, and at last some mounting messages. After that your Pixi should reboot again

This should be more than enough.

There will be a directory inside the clones directory, there's the place where the backup will be.
    @Garfonso

would be great, i would like to be a tester for german webos 2.2.4 ;-)
    two comments so far -

1. I'm assuming you should put your phone into usb mode first?? It didnt work first time I tried and then the phone wouldnt reboot, so i've put into recovery mode manually trying again.

2. I'm getting a lot of these messages -

novacmd socket was closed prematurely
    novacom: unexpected EOF from server

Is this normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by baloo247 View Post
    two comments so far -

1. I'm assuming you should put your phone into usb mode first?? It didnt work first time I tried and then the phone wouldnt reboot, so i've put into recovery mode manually trying again.

2. I'm getting a lot of these messages -

Is this normal?
    Are you running the .bat file or Makefile?
    batch file. I'm running into a whole host of issues. but im fixing them. it's a case of running some bits manually. I'm making a note of everything im doing. H, I'll email you when im done.

Finally got 2.2.3 on, noted it boots really quick. the touch update didnt go on and i had to novaterm that whole bit. i've sorted that. now gonna do the a6 update and modem updates.

Thanks
    batch file. I'm running into a whole host of issues. but im fixing them. it's a case of running some bits manually. I'm making a note of everything im doing. H, I'll email you when im done.

Finally got 2.2.3 on, noted it boots really quick. the touch update didnt go on and i had to novaterm that whole bit. i've sorted that. now gonna do the a6 update and modem updates.

Thanks
    Strange, it should work in general. It worked on my PC. I just have the phone connected, NOT in USB mode!

You need to manually run the firmware update for Touch in Novaterm as per instructions in the blog. It doesn't run automatically via Novacom because it's not very reliable. Same would apply in case you want to do A6 and Modem update.
    any way to tell when the a6 update is finished?
    ahhh bo**ox, looks like i bricked it at the a6 update. LOL. so it applied the a6update, then rebooted, and now i have the battery with the ? symbol. I've tried the holding power and flicking silent switch 5 times trick and now worky.

Hmmm, ideas?
    ok found a few threads reporting similiar issues, all saying let battery drain completely and try booting. so i wont cry just yet. thankfully it was my spare veer.

H, my issues as follows -

a few write failures and then

couldnt run the touch update. had to do manually.

got the following -

1. manually had to copy file onto the device use

the put file command.
    2. had to stop hidd
    3. had to run sh tpupdate.sh
    4. had to to start hidd

a6update -

1. Manually pushed file.
    2. No feedback, is there any way to tell when
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Instructions and files are out here: WebOS 2.2.3 for HP Veer
    When you create a derivative Makefile from a GPL item (the Meta-Doctor), you are required to comply with the GPL license. Your Makefile must be licensed with the GPL too - please add the appropriate copyright license information so that others know that your Makefile is GPL licensed and that they have the right to do the same thing with it as you did with the Meta-Doctor.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    NuttyBunny likes this.
    ahhh bo**ox, looks like i bricked it at the a6 update. LOL. so it applied the a6update, then rebooted, and now i have the battery with the ? symbol. I've tried the holding power and flicking silent switch 5 times trick and now worky.
    Those are exactly the same symptoms of the original first-ever bricked webOS device (Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals). Even removing and reinserting the battery did not fix mine. Neither could any of my contacts at Palm assist in reviving it. Good luck.

This procedure needs huge red warnings all around it every single place it is mentioned - there will be many bricked devices as a result of this.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 12/02/2011 at 06:08 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I'm trying to update a Veer by following the guide, but the following part gives only 'path not found' errors:

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure 2> /dev/null

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure 2>/dev/null

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/filecache 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/media 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/root 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/update 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/log 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/mojodb 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/swap 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/var 2> /dev/null ; \
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    When you create a derivative Makefile from a GPL item (the Meta-Doctor), you are required to comply with the GPL license. Your Makefile must be licensed with the GPL too - please add the appropriate copyright license information so that others know that your Makefile is GPL licensed and that they have the right to do the same thing with it as you did with the Meta-Doctor.

It is also customary in the homebrew and open source community to give credit to the original developers of the tools you are using in your procedures, and optionally note the donation addresses for those who created the original tools if you want to thank those original authors.

-- Rod
    Will fix that in a couple of hours, at the office now and cannot update any files here. Was in a hurry this morning.
    Last edited by Herrie; 12/02/2011 at 06:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapke View Post
    I'm trying to update a Veer by following the guide, but the following part gives only 'path not found' errors:

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgscan --ignorelockingfailure 2> /dev/null

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure 2>/dev/null

START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/filecache 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/media 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/root 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/update 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/log 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/mojodb 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/swap 2> /dev/null ; \
    START /B /WAIT novacom -w run file://usr/sbin/lvm.static -- lvremove -f /dev/store/var 2> /dev/null ; \
    Looks like Novacom is not installed or not in your PATH variable. If you try to run novacom from cmd, does it work?
    that's why I used my spare veer. Got the update on and everything was sweet. Tried the first optional update for TTS and that's what buggered it. Everyone knows the disclaimers, so its up to you whether you wanna try or not. All at your own risk

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Those are exactly the same symptoms of the original first-ever bricked webOS device ([url= Disassembly - WebOS Internals[/url]). Even removing and reinserting the battery did not fix mine. Neither could any of my contacts at Palm assist in reviving it. Good luck.

This procedure needs huge red warnings all around it every single place it is mentioned - there will be many bricked devices as a result of this.

-- Rod
    Hi,

I very appreciate your work and will donate. I have question, how risky is fist part of update process? I don't need touch-to-share so I don't want to make A6 update.
    If you like my applications (SynoMusic, SynoDM, SynoFM) and want to donate for future upgrades and development
    that's why I used my spare veer. Got the update on and everything was sweet. Tried the first optional update for TTS and that's what buggered it. Everyone knows the disclaimers, so its up to you whether you wanna try or not. All at your own risk
    As long as it's still recognized via USB and/or you can get it into recovery (with volume up button while powering on), you should be able to Doctor.

Mine don't go into recovery anymore after failed modem updates. I get HP logo, but no battery with ?.