Page 21 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425263171 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Does anyone know how we can solve the 9.9.9 version number in the Palm profile? For other phones it seems it's possible with Meta Doctor, but I couldn't find a way without Meta Doctor?

Without this we won't have access to apps in the App Catalog and also the account will be stuck to "Dr. Skipped FirstUse"
    You're not able to use the Impostah procedure?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    You're not able to use the Impostah procedure?
    Need to check. I guess because I used a new Veer, I first need to activate it with 2.1.2 AT&T doctor and then update. I did the 2.1.2 now, need to check what happens after the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Problem is the following:

11) Your device is now activated for paid app catalog access in your desired country and language. Go to http://palm.com/palmprofile and confirm that your device has been correctly registered.

It will recognize it as 9.9.9 which is an "illegal" version and therefore none of the apps will work (not available for your version of WebOS) and you CANNOT login to your palm profile.

So if you would use Impostah to activate, then remove the account, profile and reboot and try to login to palm profile (in order to get rid of the "Dr. Skipped FirstUse") it will NOT work and it will tell you it cannot download your data and you're stuck there.

So you're stuck with the "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" user and no proper App Catalog access for now. This needs to be sorted before we can use it properly.

I need to check what happens if I update to 2.2.3 now with this Veer. Will try to do that tonight I guess. Need to disable backup app, delete data there before doing so.

I guess the following steps suggested for Pixi+ would work, that's what I'm going to test.

If you get 9.9.9 in palm.com/palmprofile, then you can doctor back to 1.4.5 for your carrier and log in, then delete backup info in backup app and then 2.1.0 metadoctor it.

If you get "Dr. Skipped Firstuse" as the name of your palm profile in the new accounts app in 2.1.0 and/or if the gesture application creates a blank screen, you have a false profile problem. You need to doctor back to 1.4.5 for your carrier and login in, then delete backup info in backup app and then 2.1.0 metadoctor it. To avoid this problem, redownload the latest version of the metadoctor and run the appropiate script with the --wifi-only switch. Note: Only use --wifi-only if you do not intend to have cellular service on the device as this option disables the modem update and renders cellular service inoperable without re-doctoring.
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/30/2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Use the "mask" method that was found when we were playing with 2.1 on the original Pre:

You need to edit the /etc/palm-build-info file
    Leave the first line from the 2.2.4 file (the one that has the 2.2.4 string)
    Get the remaining lines from a "legal" version, you can get the file from the latest webOS doctor for your device.

This works as well for the 2.1 Pixi.

After changing the file, reboot and use Impostah, or you could even login to your profile normally.

Good Luck
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    Use the "mask" method that was found when we were playing with 2.1 on the original Pre:

Get the remaining lines from a "legal" version, you can get the file from the latest webOS doctor for your device.

After changing the file, reboot and use Impostah, or you could even login to your profile normally.

Good Luck
    OK, I need to do this before attempting ANY activation with Impostah I assume?

I guess I could just include it in the released files as well, so not all users have to do these steps :P ?
    OK A6 seems to be responsible for TTS!

Jijian Zhang | LinkedIn

2010 Firmware Engineer/Lead at HP/Palm Touchstone group. I was responsible for firmware for Touchstone Audio Dock, which included firmware for 8051, A6 (Palm's inductive charging chip) and CSR Bluetooth BC5. I was the key engineer to define and deliver Touch-To-Share technology which ultimately utilize A6 firmware, webOS(linux) kernel driver and services to deliver seamless communications between various webOS devices, such as TouchPad, Veer and Pre 3.
    OK A6 seems to be responsible for TTS!
    As noted in Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As noted in Veer Disassembly - WebOS Internals ...

-- Rod
    Must have missed that Sorry new to WebOS, got my first device 2 months ago, but getting up to speed quickly

Any idea why TTS doesn't work EVEN after I updated A6? (I know I shouldn't have, but well Who doesn't risk doesn't gain).
    Quote Originally Posted by vito-andolini View Post
    I had this issue with the 9.9.9 Version on my Veer when I bought it. I contacted the webOS-Support (I got some nice people from Argentina on the phone) and they fixed it in two days on their server side.
    Hey Vito,
    Not to hijack the thread too much but a business partner is visiting Argentina in Jan and I'm thinking of letting him borrow my Veer as a phone to use (his Pre2 is Verizon which is CDMA so he needs GSM). What is the best GSM card for him to buy?
    Thanks
    I really can't wait for all of you to get this sorted out ... where do I send my check to?
    I'm still awaiting the details of the partitions from the guys that have 2.2.3, because I also suspect them to be different!

Michael/Barry (or any of the other 2.2.3 users),

Can you run the following in Novaterm?

lvm.static lvscan <-- will scan your logical volumen partitions and show a summary
    lvm.static lvdisplay <-- will show you information on all your partitions
    lvm.static vgdisplay <--- will show you information on your volume group (think of it as a container for your partitions)
    Sent you output in PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post

Good Luck
    This did the trick!

So a small update

The following now works:

1. Activation via Impostah now shows 2.1.2 in Palm Profile
    2. Dr. Skipped Firstuse is solved
    3. App Catalog works again

This will be included in the image as well, so people don't have to hassle with this themselves
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Trovatore likes this.
    Another update: TTS is working!

Turns out I was running the wrong update files (the ones from the uImage which was the 2.1.1 WR one and not the 2.2.3 one). I fixed the references for PmModemUpdater, A6Updater and PmTpUpdater and all is fine now
    cn.fyodor likes this.
    Herrie, if you hook this up you'll be a legend. An absolute fecking LEG END !!!!!!!!

I'm getting so excited now.

does anyone know if the TTS/SMS/Phone calling features is possible with the CM7 android build? Since putting that on my touchpad I tend to use it more than webos, simply because there are a few critical apps I need that arent available on webos.
    Another update: TTS is working!

Turns out I was running the wrong update files (the ones from the uImage which was the 2.1.1 WR one and not the 2.2.3 one). I fixed the references for PmModemUpdater, A6Updater and PmTpUpdater and all is fine now
    So it should be up for release sometime soon? I don't mean to be a bother asking for ETA's and stuff but I'm just so excited to finally use my veer the way I intended to when I bought it. :b
    It's still a lot work in progress. All features seem to work properly now, however 2 things still seem very unreliable:

1. Modem Firmware update.
    2. A6 update.

Without the modem update you cannot call, sms and use data connection as it seems. (It seems to hang randomly during the update process which would BRICK your phone when you would reboot. NEVER reboot your phone before you managed to complete the modem update, otherwise your phone will be bricked!! It can be remedied by retrying the flash until it succeeds, but it's not for the faint hearted! )

Without the A6 update you cannot use the TTS feature. A6 seems to be more stable though, however the update tool is not very user friendly. It takes 2-3 minutes to complete the update of A6, however there's not feedback about where it is. It just has start and end. So it's tricky.

The A6 update never failed on me so far, however I had the modem update locking MANY times already! Probably around 10 times in total!

What I basically have ready currently:

Backup file: Made directly after secure erase, updated with a new etc/palm-build-info in order to mimic 2.1.2 in WebOS/Palm Profile.

Install script: Currently Windows/DOS Batch script, but Makefile will be ready soon too probably. Both solutions are NOT very user friendly and offer very little/no error handling.

This is based on NB's Makefile for the Pixi+.

It will do the following (all via Novacom basically):

1. Reboot phone in recovery mode
    2. Send Nova installer and reboot
    3. Destroy ALL current partitions and data
    4. Recreate all partitions including a 568MB root partition instead of the 456MB one on 2.1.2
    5. Create temporary folder and mount them
    6. Restore rootfs, varfs, update, media, filecache, mojodb and boot, sync and umount.
    7. Send the Touchpanel firmware update tpupdate.sh script to the phone and sets proper permissions, but DOES NOT execute automatically due to problems described above. This can be run from Novaterm.
    8. Send the A6 firmware update a6update.sh script to the phone and sets proper permissions, but DOES NOT execute automatically due to problems described above. This can be run from Novaterm.
    9. Send the modem firmware update mdmupdate.sh script to the phone and sets proper permissions, but DOES NOT execute automatically due to problems described above. This can be run from Novaterm.

So everything is currently automated except for the tp, A6 and modem updates which would manually need to be run using Novaterm.

I'm not sure how many *nix and Apple users we have here that would require the Makefile. The Windows .bat DOES the trick in general for Windows users and doesn't even require them to use VirtualBox or Cygwin

But like everyone knows, Windows is not always the most stable and reliable platform

Though all steps that are performed via Novacom should not kill your Veer and you should be able to get it to Doctor after just recreating the partitions.

Calling the .sh update scripts via Novacom is not a good idea on any platform, so via Novaterm it's lot more reliable, but still not for the faint hearted!
    Without the A6 update you cannot use the TTS feature. A6 seems to be more stable though, however the update tool is not very user friendly. It takes 2-3 minutes to complete the update of A6, however there's not feedback about where it is. It just has start and end. So it's tricky.

The A6 update never failed on me so far, however I had the modem update locking MANY times already! Probably around 10 times in total!
    If you Ctrl-C or loose power during the A6 update, you will permanently brick the phone.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you Ctrl-C or loose power during the A6 update, you will permanently brick the phone.

-- Rod
    Same with the modem.... It's far from reliable Though modem you can retry until it completes with various switches, A6 not I guess?

I did not have the A6 failing on me yet, but the modem did a number of times.

We might get a way to un-brick Veers soon hopefully too

I sent a bricked one to a JTAG-er who will try to get the JTAG pin layout and fix the modem firmware so it gets back into recovery mode for Doctoring

Not ideal, will void warranty etc, but at least better then a bricked one
    Last edited by Herrie; 12/01/2011 at 01:57 AM.
    Then again if you don't own a TP and don't need the Touch-To-Share feature, you can just skip updating the A6 to be on the safe side!