Page 20 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by c_legaspi View Post
    i dont use skype but out of curiosity, is it on your veer.
    Yes it's there! I didn't use it yet though, but it's integrated quite well. In the phone setup you can choose between Skype or operator as default or for the Veer to ask you each time. This for both domestic and international calls!

It also adds your contacts to the messaging app after you added your Skype account
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/27/2011 at 05:44 PM.
    Trovatore and elitepyro like this.
    OK I found 1 shop in Amsterdam who believe they have a 50/50% chance in reviving the Veer.

Another guy in Germany offered to try to find the JTAG pins for the bricked Veer as well. Another guy from the US (Texas) from XDA Developers offered to help him as well using the RIFF JTAG Box They both have experience in reviving bricked phones for which there was no solution before

I guess soon we might have a way to revive the Veer after it's bricked

I'll drop by the phone shop today and they normally get things sorted in 24 hrs

The 2nd Veer to Germany needs to go by snail mail and will take 2-3 days to get there.

I noticed the following "error" in Preware. It does seem to install the apps/patches though. Does anyone know if this is normal?

P.s. Does anyone know how to wipe the filecache and mojodb from a phone using Novaterm?

I'm working on the Makefile for the 2.2.3 release, but don't know the commands for it. I'm basing it on NuttyBunny's makefile, however that one was still made using the old backup and restore.

Since then the backup and restore has been changed, so the procedure for filecache and mojodb needs to be updated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I noticed the following "error" in Preware. It does seem to install the apps/patches though. Does anyone know if this is normal?
    That is not normal, and indicates that one of the partitions on your device is full, which is usually a fatal condition.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That is not normal, and indicates that one of the partitions on your device is full, which is usually a fatal condition.

-- Rod
    I get the following from df, so it seems to be the /dev/mapper/store-root.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/28/2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Image works better ;)

P.s. Does anyone know how to wipe the filecache and mojodb from a phone using Novaterm?

I'm working on the Makefile for the 2.2.3 release, but don't know the commands for it. I'm basing it on NuttyBunny's makefile, however that one was still made using the old backup and restore.

Since then the backup and restore has been changed, so the procedure for filecache and mojodb needs to be updated.
    You messed up one of the restore steps. That's the reason I told you to wipe them before restoring them. Also make sure you're uncompressing them in the correct place.

And for uncompressing the mojodb and filecache partitions, you should mount media first, then copy the files there, then flash them, or, uncompress them beforehand in your host machine and then send them over for flash, like this:

in the veer:
    mount /dev/store/media /tmp/mnt/media
    in the computer:
    novacom put file://tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc.gz < mojodb.enc.gz
    in the veer:
    gzip -d /tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc.gz
    dd if=/tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc of=/dev/store/mojodb

2. uncompress the file directly on your machine and then use:
    novacom run file://bin/dd -- of=/dev/store/mojodb < mojodb.enc

you MUST copy the files to the media partition. If you copy them anywhere else YOU'LL GET THE OUT OF SPACE ERRORS :P

Also, if you want to delete and recreate the partitions, the sizes are in the original veers, use lvm.static lvdisplay but I think they're the same
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    Quote Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
    You messed up one of the restore steps. That's the reason I told you to wipe them before restoring them. Also make sure you're uncompressing them in the correct place.

And for uncompressing the mojodb and filecache partitions, you should mount media first, then copy the files there, then flash them, or, uncompress them beforehand in your host machine and then send them over for flash, like this:

in the veer:
    mount /dev/store/media /tmp/mnt/media
    in the computer:
    novacom put file://tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc.gz < mojodb.enc.gz
    in the veer:
    gzip -d /tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc.gz
    dd if=/tmp/mnt/media/mojodb.enc of=/dev/store/mojodb

2. uncompress the file directly on your machine and then use:
    novacom run file://bin/dd -- of=/dev/store/mojodb < mojodb.enc

you MUST copy the files to the media partition. If you copy them anywhere else YOU'LL GET THE OUT OF SPACE ERRORS :P

Also, if you want to delete and recreate the partitions, the sizes are in the original veers, use lvm.static lvdisplay but I think they're the same
    Ehm I did all that actually

The filecache and mojodb are copied to the media partition and then unpacked and restored. Will check, maybe I forgot to delete them afterwards before unmounting the media partition somehow...
    Yes it's there! I didn't use it yet though, but it's integrated quite well. In the phone setup you can choose between Skype or operator as default or for the Veer to ask you each time. This for both domestic and international calls!

It also adds your contacts to the messaging app after you added your Skype account
    This was what I was about to ask. I was worried the Skype integration would be strictly messaging.

Now it just makes it worse for the rest of us...
    Should we not resize the partitions as in Pre3? The size difference (as in the official doctor) does matter but I would prefer to be on the safe side just because of the enyo framework.
    Quote Originally Posted by i4ko View Post
    Should we not resize the partitions as in Pre3? The size difference (as in the official doctor) does matter but I would prefer to be on the safe side just because of the enyo framework.
    I'm still awaiting the details of the partitions from the guys that have 2.2.3, because I also suspect them to be different!

Michael/Barry (or any of the other 2.2.3 users),

Can you run the following in Novaterm?

lvm.static lvscan <-- will scan your logical volumen partitions and show a summary
    lvm.static lvdisplay <-- will show you information on all your partitions
    lvm.static vgdisplay <--- will show you information on your volume group (think of it as a container for your partitions)
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/28/2011 at 11:46 PM.
    I compared the Pre3 XML and the Veer XML:

Pre3:
    Code:
    		<Group name="store" pv="pv" physicalextentsize="8MB">
    			<Volume id="root" type="ext3" size="568MB" mount="/"/>
    			<Volume id="var" type="ext3" size="64MB" mount="/var"/>
    			<Volume id="update" type="ext3" size="16MB" mount="/var/lib/update"/>
    			<Volume id="log" type="ext3" size="24MB" mount="/var/log"/>
    			<Volume id="mojodb" type="ext3" size="144MB"/>
    			<Volume id="filecache" type="ext3" size="136MB" inode_size="256"/>
    			<Volume id="media" type="fat32" size="*" mount="/media/internal"/>
    			<Volume id="swap" size="504MB"/>
    		</Group>
    Veer:

Code:
    		<Group name="store" pv="pv" physicalextentsize="8MB">
    			<Volume id="root" type="ext3" size="456MB" mount="/"/>
    			<Volume id="var" type="ext3" size="64MB" mount="/var"/>
    			<Volume id="update" type="ext3" size="16MB" mount="/var/lib/update"/>
    			<Volume id="log" type="ext3" size="24MB" mount="/var/log"/>
    			<Volume id="mojodb" type="ext3" size="144MB" mount="/var/db"/>
    			<Volume id="filecache" type="ext3" size="136MB" inode_size="256" mount="/var/file-cache"/>
    			<Volume id="media" type="fat32" size="*" mount="/media/internal"/>
    			<Volume id="swap" size="504MB"/>
    </Group>
    Looks like the root partition got increased from 456 to 568 so that might explain why my root was full.

Is there a way to re-size the partitions or would I need to drop and re-create them all?
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/29/2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Fixed size for the swap partition
    Herrie,

the att veer 2.1.2 doctor also has swap at 504MB, the difference with the roots is the same one you see, however the two extended partitiones are different

<Entry type="space" partition="0x4e" size="1MB" reformat="false"/> <!-- p5, EFS2 -->
    <Entry type="space" partition="0x4c" size="1MB" reformat="false"/> <!-- p6, FOTA -->

for Pre-3 att doctor they are 65024KB and 32000KB.

The veers that you have - are they the european one, or US one? The 2.2.3 backup is us one, right?
    Herrie,

the att veer 2.1.2 doctor also has swap at 504MB, the difference with the roots is the same one you see, however the two extended partitiones are different

<Entry type="space" partition="0x4e" size="1MB" reformat="false"/> <!-- p5, EFS2 -->
    <Entry type="space" partition="0x4c" size="1MB" reformat="false"/> <!-- p6, FOTA -->

The veers that you have - are they the european one, or US one? The 2.2.3 backup is us one, right?
    Sorry you're right, must have taken the broadway.xml from 2.1.1 instead, that one has 104MB, the 2.1.2 indeed has 504MB.

So the only difference is the root and the 2 extended partitions.

Then again this is the Pre 3, doesn't automatically mean that the Veer would be the same (though it would make sense).

P.s. I got US Veers, don't like German QWERTZ layout and US Veers are about half the price of the European ones
    the two extended partitiones are different

Get those partitions wrong (either size or contents) and the device *will* be bricked.

Never touch anything before p12.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Get those partitions wrong (either size or contents) and the device *will* be bricked.

Never touch anything before p12.

-- Rod
    OK, won't touch those then. Remains the root to be re-sized. Is there an easy fail-safe way to do this without completely destroying them and re-creating them?
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/29/2011 at 02:13 AM.
    OK, bit the bullet, ordered some a few more Veers just in case the bricked ones can't be revived Should be here early next week
    elitepyro likes this.
    OK another 2.2.3 user confirmed there's only 7.5MB free on the root on the Veer, so it's no luxury to increase the size as it was done for the Pre 3
    Would it suffice to do the following to allocate 112M from media to root or are there better ways to achieve this?

lvm.static lvresize -L 5600M /dev/mapper/store-media
    lvm.static lvresize -L 568M /dev/mapper/store-root

With regards to wiping the mojodb and filecache, would the following work properly or isn't it needed because dd would overwrite by default with the new data ? (sorry I'm not a *nix guru ).

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/store/filecache
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/store/mojodb

Thanks
    Last edited by Herrie; 11/29/2011 at 04:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I'm super-excited about the possibility of TTS and Skype on my Veer.
    Xethur and elitepyro like this.
    Does anyone know how we can solve the 9.9.9 version number in the Palm profile? For other phones it seems it's possible with Meta Doctor, but I couldn't find a way without Meta Doctor?

Without this we won't have access to apps in the App Catalog and also the account will be stuck to "Dr. Skipped FirstUse"
    I had this issue with the 9.9.9 Version on my Veer when I bought it. I contacted the webOS-Support (I got some nice people from Argentina on the phone) and they fixed it in two days on their server side.