Page 12 of 74 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Like Tree144Likes
    I also agree. Benefits the whole community.
    I have to laugh. This is so close I can taste it.
    Quote Originally Posted by briands View Post
    Does it taste like chicken??

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I'm wondering what everyone is expecting to do with this when they get it?

1) It can't be legally redistributed.
    2) If you get it by illegal means and somehow flash it onto your device you won't be able to access your palm profile, or the app catalog.
    3) If you try and create a profile with it, you will get the 9.9.9 profile version problem which locks your device out of the app catalog permanently.
    4) If/when a real OTA update comes, your device will not be in a state suitable for the real OTA update, and you will need to doctor.
    5) You will have no patch feed support in Preware and no custom kernels.
    6) If you work out how the eBay device connects to the internal Palm server (as was leaked on the XDA forums for the TouchPad), it was determined on the XDA forums that new device registrations are rejected on that server. So you won't get OTA updates that way either.

Sure, if you've got a spare Veer that you don't want to use as your main device, it might be fun to look at and see what bugs are fixed and what new bugs are now included. It's not something I'd do on my main device though ...

-- Rod
    Hungry now
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

2) If you get it by illegal means and somehow flash it onto your device you won't be able to access your palm profile, or the app catalog.
    3) If you try and create a profile with it, you will get the 9.9.9 profile version problem which locks your device out of the app catalog permanently.
    4) If/when a real OTA update comes, your device will not be in a state suitable for the real OTA update, and you will need to doctor.
    6) If you work out how the eBay device connects to the internal Palm server (as was leaked on the XDA forums for the TouchPad), it was determined on the XDA forums that new device registrations are rejected on that server. So you won't get OTA updates that way either.

Sure, if you've got a spare Veer that you don't want to use as your main device, it might be fun to look at and see what bugs are fixed and what new bugs are now included. It's not something I'd do on my main device though ...

-- Rod
    I just assumed the Veer would treat it like any other update. Why would it lock out the user like that?

Perhaps I'm a pessimist but I'm not holding my breath on HP to release many more future updates and support.
    I just assumed the Veer would treat it like any other update. Why would it lock out the user like that?
    That's what happens when you flash an unreleased webOS version that is not accepted on the production profile server.

-- Rod

-- Rod
    why dident the 2.1 pixi lock us out of the app catalog??
    That's what happens when you flash an unreleased webOS version that is not accepted on the production profile server.

-- Rod
    Interesting. Forgive my ignorance but then what does that mean for the people who bought their Veers with 2.2.3 preloaded,ie, why would theirs work but not ours? I'm not understanding the difference between the software they flashed and what the rest of us are waiting for.
    Interesting. Forgive my ignorance but then what does that mean for the people who bought their Veers with 2.2.3 preloaded,ie, why would theirs work but not ours? I'm not understanding the difference between the software they flashed and what the rest of us are waiting for.
    Those devices are obviously connected to the internal server. The word from the XDA thread is that all new device connections are rejected.

The difference is not on the device, the difference is which server it is allowed to connect to.

-- Rod
    Those devices are obviously connected to the internal server. The word from the XDA thread is that all new device connections are rejected.

The difference is not on the device, the difference is which server it is allowed to connect to.

-- Rod
    Well that really puts a damper on things.
    -- Rod
    Sage and sobering, but appreciated :-) I hadn't considered the server issue?? Why can't they just release it for the eu devices? I mean, not many at&t customers would cross that line would they
    Last edited by dbmgreen; 11/14/2011 at 08:18 PM.
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

kryptonite_2448 likes this.
    Well, if anyone manages to get the 2.2.3 update out of msmitt's veer I'll be willing to test it on mine. I got the veer so I can use the touchpad as my phone when the update was released, and I only use 3 apps so it's not a big deal to me if I can't access the market. PM me if/when you get the backup ready
    Trovatore likes this.
    I got 2 spare Veers laying around to play with

Seems like I missed Michael while I was asleep today Next 2 days I won't be around much either, so I guess we'd have to wait for Barry
    Trovatore likes this.

-- Rod
    Are these 6 points referred to the 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 update?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
    Are these 6 points referred to the 2.2.3 or 2.2.4 update?
    They refer to any webOS version which is not publicly released.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I tried it myself last night, everything was going well until it reached this point:

novacom -w run file://sbin/tellbootie recover || true

Then it stopped/hung up in terminal, I let it run all night, so I guess it did all of the prerequisites but never got all of the way to the phone. I used the att version of the web os doctor. I checked that novacom was installed correctly and ubuntu software center said it was installed.

I had used the instructions for the pixi with the change make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=att memboot backup because at first the command make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup I received an filename error 11.

I will be at work today until 6 pm eastern time and then if someone wants a crack at it send me a pm, otherwise we could wait for Barry.
    Quote Originally Posted by msmitt View Post
    I tried it myself last night, everything was going well until it reached this point:

Then it stopped/hung up in terminal, I let it run all night, so I guess it did all of the prerequisites but never got all of the way to the phone. I used the att version of the web os doctor. I checked that novacom was installed correctly and ubuntu software center said it was installed.

I had used the instructions for the pixi with the change make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=att memboot backup because at first the command make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup I received an filename error 11.

I will be at work today until 6 pm eastern time and then if someone wants a crack at it send me a pm, otherwise we could wait for Barry.
    I had the exact same problem with my 2.1.2 AT&T Veer using Ubuntu on VirtualBox last week! I thought it was VirtualBox causing the issues, but I guess not since native Ubuntu has the same problem? Anyone got any suggestions?

maybe can you try backup using a WR (eu) doctor ?

It may be the device tokens were changed by the seller.

1 - Try using the wr doctor in the downloads directory and this command to make the image
    make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup

2 - If that doesn't work then
    - Install novacom again using Jason's Universal novacom installer
    - then with the att doctor in downloads try:
    make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=att memboot backup

3- and lastly if that doesn't work try it with the wr option once again after putting the wr doctor in the downloads dir (you can probably leave both in there)
    make DEVICE=veer CARRIER=wr memboot backup

P.S. Don't forget to rename the doctors using meta-doctor naming standards before you try.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.