1.    #1  
    I have a Veer 4G and a Pre 3 .. both bought from HP. I really like the Veer form factor but could not give up the screen size so I use the Pre 3.

I set up the Veer with out activation (SIM-less) and loaded a GPS based running tracker from HP Apps but the GPS apparently will not work without the phone functioning.

My question is what is the best/cheapest way to get the phone activated so the GPS functions. Prepaid phone SIM? Prepaid data SIM? It functions great with Wi-Fi for all my needs except being able to track my runs with the GPS. Making calls from it is not a requirement (although it would be convenient sometimes I guess)

It is not yet unlocked but I have requested an unlock code from ATT (we will see how that turns out)
    There might be a free unlock soon from Dogbert I'm working with him by sending him some files from my Veers. I have 2 unlocked Veers and 1 locked Veer from which I'm making dumps for him to work with I suspect he'll be able to provide an unlocking method fairly quickly
  3.    #3  
    Ok, ATT gave me my unlock codes. My main requirement is to get the GPS working. I read somewhere I need a data network to get the GPS working properly but some confusion as to what level of data network.

1) If I go with TMO $30 plan with 4G data and a few phone minutes (don't use phone much) will that give me the data network I need?

2) If it downgrades from 4G (I doubt I will use that much) will I lose the GPS?

3) Are there ANY data only plans I can use on the Veer 4G?
    TMO will only give you EDGE data speeds, btw.

if you are on at&t you can swap the sim from your Pre3 to the Veer, and back when you are done.

I have an at&t pre3 that I activated as wifi only. The gps seems to work well, but unless I have wifi while driving it isn't good for much beyond yelp and 4square...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    TMO will only give you EDGE data speeds, btw.

if you are on at&t you can swap the sim from your Pre3 to the Veer, and back when you are done.

I have an at&t pre3 that I activated as wifi only. The gps seems to work well, but unless I have wifi while driving it isn't good for much beyond yelp and 4square...
    I did the SIM swap a couple times ... and created a minimal palm account for the veer ... but the am just a bit concerned I may wear the tabs off the Pre3 battery cover ... i assume the SIM can handle the wear just fine.

Any concept of a cloned SIM? So I just make sure both phones are not on at the same time? I doubt this but just throwing it out there.
    can't clone sims. Once activated, use Imposta (from Preware) will let you use the same profile on both phones.

if you run freetether on your pre3, the veer can access the internet via wifi.

of course, that is a big battery drain so you won't run it except when you need mobile access from both phones.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    can't clone sims. Once activated, use Imposta (from Preware) will let you use the same profile on both phones.

if you run freetether on your pre3, the veer can access the internet via wifi.

of course, that is a big battery drain so you won't run it except when you need mobile access from both phones.
    I don't mind ... in fact prefer the 2 different palm profiles since they are used for different purposes. I had previously use Impostah to set it up without a SIM. Now I am just swapping my ATT SIM now that I figured out to easily remove the Pre 3 cove. My Palm profile still says Dr. Skipped Firstuse … how do I rename/reset that?