Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mnm1200
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I just got a brand new veer locked to AT&T.

on first boot, i got into dev mode, installed preware, impostah for the app cat and i found the dreaded PhD in my acct list, Doctor Skipped Firstuse.

i turned off the backup, reset the account in impostah, rebooted, registered my palm acct in impostah, everything went fine...

then i checked the account program and it is blank! no dr skip and my palm account is not there either. i cant find anywhere to add my palm account in now, not even in impostah

how do i get the still-locked veer to recognize my palm account?
    Using dev mode to skip First Use will always give you Dr. Skipped Firstuse. Is there a reason why you don't want to sign in to your Palm profile through First Use?

I built a Meta-Doctor image for my Pre3 and used the Bypass First Use feature. Logged in via Impostah to force activation over wifi (to enable the paid app catalog on my device), disabled wifi profiles, deleted Palm profile in Impostah forcing a restart, then actually logged in via First Use over 4G.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I had the same thing for me. I ended up using novaterm to tell the veer firstuse had been run, restarted luna, enabled wifi, unset firstuse, reset luna and logged in.

If you want it I can list what I did tomorrow when I have access to a rea, keyboard. All in all, it took about 3 minutes to go from where you are to getting novaterm and getting to where I had a working profile.

Honestly, it was 100x easier than metadr and wifi profiles and impostah (to me at least). I couldn't figure that out for anything why impostah and those weren't working for me.
    multiply likes this.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    i cant use firstuse now because my veer is still locked. i called at&t 2 days ago, told the csr that i am not a subscriber, brought the veer at the palm closedown sale.

the csr checked his db and said my phone is eligible for unlock, but he is surprised the system doesnt have the unlock code. he opened a ticket and said he will escalate it to his engineers, pending reply latest by 26th oct.

so while waiting i thought i could download all the apps, prepare the veer for the day of unlocking. then i saw dr skipped firstuse. i deleted that profile and now i cant get it to recognize my real palm profile.

yah i would appreciate the list of wat-to-dos to bypass firstuse on a locked veer
    Alright, since you had Dr.Skipped Firstuse you should already have devmode on. If you don't, turn it on

I believe I did an App & Data erase beforehand after disabling Backups.

Then download Novaterm (32bit or 64bit). Make sure you have Novacomd running too. It will install automatically if you have WebOS Quick Installer installed.

Run novaterm and connect to localhost with the veer connected to the computer.

If your phone boots to Firstuse, type and run each line in the console (if not, Reset):

Code:
    touch /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    This bypasses first use and restarts Luna and the phone will boot into the OS normally. Enable your wifi and make sure it connects. Double-check that Backups are off.

Code:
    rm /var/luna/preferences/ran-first-use
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    This resets first use and restarts Luna so you can now register your Palm account over wifi.

I had all sorts of problems getting it to run over my cell's data connection even with the correct APN settings. After doing the above, my Veer was syncing to my profile after about 3 minutes of work.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    this exposed the firstuse app, thats the insert your sim card app rite?\

anyway wat i meant was to delete the firstuse and login to my palm profile on the locked veer. doesnt solve the issue, but thanks mnm1200 for ur detailed steps, im sure some1 will benefit from the information
    Quote Originally Posted by multiply View Post

anyway wat i meant was to delete the firstuse and login to my palm profile on the locked veer. doesnt solve the issue, but thanks mnm1200 for ur detailed steps, im sure some1 will benefit from the information
    Have you tried step 15 of this tutorial ? : forums.precentral.net/webos-internals/281075-global-paid-app-catalog-access-new-unlocked-gsm-pre-2-pre-3-veer-using-impostah.html

Ah, from what I read on your other thread, I didn't know you didn't have an ATT sim lol

Should work with an unlocked Veer or a locked one with an ATT sim and no reliable 3g network.
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm1200 View Post
    Alright, since you had Dr.Skipped Firstuse you should already have devmode on. If you don't, turn it on

Then download Novaterm (32bit or 64bit). Make sure you have Novacomd running too. It will install automatically if you have WebOS Quick Installer installed.

If your phone boots to Firstuse, type and run each line in the console (if not, Reset):

Code:
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    This bypasses first use and restarts Luna and the phone will boot into the OS normally. Enable your wifi and make sure it connects. Double-check that Backups are off.

Code:
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    This resets first use and restarts Luna so you can now register your Palm account over wifi.

I had all sorts of problems getting it to run over my cell's data connection even with the correct APN settings. After doing the above, my Veer was syncing to my profile after about 3 minutes of work.
    this was so much helpful, great thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm1200 View Post

Code:
    pkill LunaSysMgr

Code:
    pkill LunaSysMgr

mnm1200's directions didn't quite work for me...

Yes, the firstuse app reappeared, but my Palm profile is still Dr. Skipped Firstuse.

Also, if I check my Palm profile online, my Veer has been added to my account with the name "Rodica's HP TouchPad."

I suppose I can just live with being called Dr. Skipped Firstuse, but I wish I hadn't wasted all of that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exhnozoaa View Post
    mnm1200's directions didn't quite work for me...

Yes, the firstuse app reappeared, but my Palm profile is still Dr. Skipped Firstuse.

Also, if I check my Palm profile online, my Veer has been added to my account with the name "Rodica's HP TouchPad."

I suppose I can just live with being called Dr. Skipped Firstuse, but I wish I hadn't wasted all of that time.
    I have to use Impostah to delete the Dr.skipped account before the restart of LunaManager. Otherwise it works well.

Good luck and have a good day.
    I just got a brand new veer locked to AT&T.

on first boot, i got into dev mode, installed preware, impostah for the app cat and i found the dreaded PhD in my acct list, Doctor Skipped Firstuse.

i turned off the backup, reset the account in impostah, rebooted, registered my palm acct in impostah, everything went fine...

then i checked the account program and it is blank! no dr skip and my palm account is not there either. i cant find anywhere to add my palm account in now, not even in impostah

how do i get the still-locked veer to recognize my palm account?
    I have also purchased a new Veer locked to AT&T. I do not know how to get into dev mode. I live in India. I do not have any AT&T Sim. There is no AT&T service in India. Can you please give the step by step action to do so? Thanks in advance.