1.    #1  
    OK I have an unlocked Veer on T-Mobile. I have EDGE working and also have a wifi connection available. There is no Palm profile on the device at all. Sometimes it'll show Dr.Skipped Firstboot and sometimes it's blank. I can't login to change it in Impostah, I can't access the HP catalog, I can't get Firstboot to connect to create a profile, and I can't turn Backups off. They all fail saying in one way or another "No internet connection" even though there is TWO working ones (EDGE works without Wifi on and vice-versa).

Is this something I have to Doctor for? And would I be using Metadoctor since it's not on my profile?

Thanks

OK, now it crashed to HP logo when closing it and connecting the power cable to the computer. 2nd time it's done that...
    you wouldn't meta-doctor, and impostah should let you create a profile (or access a profile you already have) if not, you can erase apps/data (info app on last tab) to force first use.

doctoring will do it, too.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you wouldn't meta-doctor, and impostah should let you create a profile (or access a profile you already have) if not, you can erase apps/data (info app on last tab) to force first use.

doctoring will do it, too.
    impostah takes 5 minutes and finally returns:
    Code:
    Service error
    (authenticateFromDevice):
    Going back through firstboot gets:
    Code:
    Sign In Failed
    This may be due to low network coverage of the phone settings on your SIM card need to be entered manually
    even though APN is correct (at least the settings that let me use internet) and it also won't let me change APN settings.

I found the Veer Doctor from webOS internals' site since I can't log in and get it. I'll try that one and see if it gets any better.

edit: Same deal after doctoring...
    Last edited by mnm1200; 10/17/2011 at 03:43 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mnm1200 View Post
    impostah takes 5 minutes and finally returns:
    Code:
    Service error
    (authenticateFromDevice):
    Going back through firstboot gets:
    Code:
    Sign In Failed
    This may be due to low network coverage of the phone settings on your SIM card need to be entered manually
    even though APN is correct (at least the settings that let me use internet) and it also won't let me change APN settings.

I found the Veer Doctor from webOS internals' site since I can't log in and get it. I'll try that one and see if it gets any better.

edit: Same deal after doctoring...
    I thought it might be T-Mobile's webguard so I had that shut off. Still can't get a profile to activate.
  5.    #5  
    FINALLY got it working!

Had to make sure devmode was on, then used novaterm to bypass first-use, turned on wifi, reset first-use and signed in.

Holy crap was that difficult to figure out.
    How good does veer work on t-mobile? Right now I'm on t-mobile's $15/month plan with 10c a minute calls and unlimited texting. I'm thinking about going to their newly released $30/month with 5gb data/unlimited text/100 minutes plan. Once I get a webos phone I'm curious how slow is 2g connection on those phones? I'm also thinking between veer and pre 3. I really like the size of veer, however seems like this phone has alot more issues then pre3 overall.
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
  7.    #7  
    Truthfully, that plan has tons of problems.

I don't know if it's the Veer or T-Mobile but I'm supposed to get 4 bars and EDGE where I am (3g isn't available here anyway) according to the website. The phone has either 1 bar or no service in the house and no service outside at all. It doesn't get any service outside for a good while either.

Pandora/streaming radio/https DO NOT WORK on this new plan. It's like a whole bunch of ports are blocked. After I got this $30/mon plan I see Android users complaining about the same thing. Needless to say, if T-Mobile doesn't fix it in the next week, I'm just going to use my minutes and ditch it and sell the phone by the end of the month.

As far as speed, it's plenty fast enough for most things. I was getting 140Kbps down and 35Kbps up, although ping WITHOUT packet loss was an abysmal 1600ms average. That's the other thing, where there's little signal, you'll be connected to EDGE but you'll lose packets and the browser doesn't try hard enough to finish loading, leaving you with a half loaded page and the wheel stuck forever on "loading"... It's fast enough for streaming audio and it's fast enough for browsing the internet, but it's broken so you can't do either.

I wanted to like it, but T-Mobile has ruined it with its' gimped internet and bad coverage map.

The Veer itself is the perfect size for me and has a great sized keyboard that still works despite being so small but I have had a good amount of problems too. Besides the usability things such as being WAY too slick (I can't even pick it up sometimes it's that slippery) and being too top-heavy (you need to support the top when typing otherwise it'll fall out from your hands), there are other issues with it. It crashes... A LOT. It crashes several times a day when I slide it closed, it crashes sometimes when I plug it into the computer to charge, it has randomly reset on me when I wasn't even touching it. It's the same before and after a Doctor.

The last thing I had an issue with was activation (obviously). You can't activate it on T-Mobile over 3g using the settings they give you. The Veer complains that it's not valid and I couldn't get it to recognize ANYTHING as valid after that so I had to skip firstboot and change it from the Dialer Prefs. It still complains that it's invalid but actually lets you change it in there.

I would have loved this phone if it was on Verizon... even with the bugs.
    Hmmn, have you thought of trying it with H20?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hmmn, have you thought of trying it with H20?
    To have enough data, that'd be double T-Mobile's rate, meaning another $360/yr...
  10.    #10  
    Just an addendum.

They fixed the $30/mon plans. Internet ACTUALLY works now and so does Pandora, etc