Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By FischOderAal
  • 1 Post By tekis
  • 1 Post By grasshoper
  1.    #1  
    Upgraded from a Pre to the Veer. One month later......I STILL LOVE IT!
    I have even gone to bed and realized that it was still in my pocket when I was changing for bed.
    Only patch on it is a larger font for SMS messaging.
    Keyboard rocks.
    Size rocks.
    Camera great outdoors but not so good indoors....but adequate.
    Screen ok.
    All in all I am looking for another as a spare as I don't see any other manufacturer selling small smart phones except the BB Style.
    The one thing about the Veer has always been it's sheer diminutiveness. I've had big BlackBerry Bolds (having formerly worked for them) for the better part of the last 5 years, and currently use an impressively small BlackBerry Pearl 3G (yet another oft forgotten about device). It's just amazing how much cutting off 1 cm from the sides can make a difference in every day usability.

My wife laughs that I often forget what pocket or bag i've put it in because it's so small/light I don't always feel it in a pocket.

I considered getting a Veer up until a couple of days ago when I noticed Pre3 prices were falling to where I wasn't paying too much more over a Veer, so a Pre3 was ordered. Plus I wanted to see if the Veer would get the oft rumoured OTA update to enable TTS with a TouchPad.

Have you run into any notable app compatibility issues with the screen size? 320x400 is not a common resolution by any means...
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    The screen is too small if you want to browse the web. For mails, twitter etc it's fine.

Everyone I showed the Veer just love it. It really feels solid and like a quality product. Nothing like the original Pre.

In Germany it was bundled with a Touchstone. This is the way it always should have been... Palm and HP didn't push the Touchstone enough.

The Veer is significantly cheaper than the Pre3 in Germany. Currently I'm thinking of getting a second Veer for spare (or work...). I hope to get a white one, even though I would only be able to use GPRS.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    I have a pre-, which I really like, but my wife just got a veer. I love this phone! I'm going to get a pre 3, but the veer is SO good, I'm a little bit torn. I think I'm going to go for the pre, but wow, the veer is awesome.
    My apps:
    Giddy 3 | Gridword
    still like mY veer. but batterY life isn't verY good. i turn off wifi and it seems to help a lot. also there seems to be a bug with the screen dimming off and on when i'm on a call and take the phone off mY ear. the screen should be on but it isn't alwaYs.
    the proximity sensor switches off the screen when you bring it closer to your ears, so that you don't accidentally hit any buttons and brings it back on, when you move it away. Is this what you are referring to? If yes, it isn't a bug, but an intended feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Have you run into any notable app compatibility issues with the screen size? 320x400 is not a common resolution by any means...
    That's true and maybe the reason why the Veer has a resolution of 320x200 which is quite common in the smartphone business, maybe not so much today, though.
    But the webOs ecosystem had the resolution with the Pixi also, so it is at least known....

The problem is not so much compatibility issues. I never had a single app on the Veer or Pixi that had issues with the screen size. But some apps are not specified to run with the Veer/Pixi and I suspect that some of them could. The only apps that really have a problem are full screen games and many of them are missing in the Veer catalogue. Everything else runs fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by isisvictor View Post
    but batterY life isn't verY good.
    What about standby time? I used to be at about 20% battery life by the end of the day on the Pre/Pixis....
    Yes, the batterY life is good on standbY. it'll last several daYS if i don't use the phone. i've noticed people saYing the batterY last longer with wifi on, but i've noticed the opposite. in regards to the dimmer, when i take the phone off mY ear, the screen is sometimes still off, or it flickers on and off which is reallY annoYIng.
    the battery last longer on wifi if you use a lot of data. If you hardly use data then the its the opposite. Also that is only true if you are connected all the time. If you are in and out of wifi reception it drains the battery.

one feature I thought was really cool was if the wifi you connect to doesn't have an internet connection the phone doesn't turn off data(3g or 4g). Not even the BB torch my wife has is that smart.
    Long live MY VEER ! You can also find a Patch that allows the Veer to enter speaker mode when you put it off your ear when calling. And enter headphone mode again when putting it back to your ear. This and TP compatibility, only TTS and SMS pairing with TP are missing. Hope they'll come soon !!

For now, the best phone I've ever used (and I came through iPhone!). I wish the battery to last a little bit longer though.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    I bought this phone in early September. I've owned Palm Pilots, Handsprings and 3 Palm phones, which I've loved very much. But this phone has been problematic to say the least. Twice now, it's mysteriously stopped backing itself up, and a week ago it just stopped syncing with Yahoo calendar. I've had very few third party apps. Every time I revive/reset it, I strip away some more. In desperation, I'm taking it back to bone stock. My last phone was a Centro. Never had any issues with it. Had two of them for years. They started feeling a little dated, but they sure worked great. What I don't like about this phone is that the standard apps have NO Palm feel/functionality to them. I don't get the feeling that I'm on a Palm phone. And everything's a patch, if you want and functionality. In Palm os, one just tweaked the preferences. The calendar app's terrible, so I tried installing UberCalendar--no dice. Can't get it on my phone. I spent a couple of days putting WOQI/Novacom drivers in. I've spent at least 30 hours with Palm chat support (they're down today, or I'd be on with them right now...). The phone looks great and is very well-built, but it's not friendly, nor is it very functional in stock form. Time to visit the Web OS Doctor--AGAIN!
    Tatobest likes this.
    Really like the Veer. No major problems after 5 or 6 weeks with it other than the touchstone stopped charging today. Got a TP also and keep hoping HP will release some updates. Fingers crossed! Oh and a big thank you for everyone posting in these threads.
    Used a veer for about 4 months. I really appreciated the form factor, the very good physical keyboard and the elegant UI design. But - let's face it - there are a lot of things not to like:

- while the OS is elegantly designed it is also buggy and incomplete - not to mention 'abandoned' - (this is partly fixable via patches, but you should not have to install so many of these to make the device usable)

- major bugs related to basic functionality like calendar and contact synch (got it to work for google accounts via setting up an exchange account, yahoo account synch completely stopped working for me and this could not be fixed)

- VERY slow browser performance (and the fact that many web sites do not recognize the VEER/WEBOS and open in the desktop version does not help this situation).
    The VEER browser also cannot reflow text when zooming in which is a major drawback considering the screen size.

- bad reception (could not get 3G connections in places where most other phones on the same network do not struggle)

- generally rather slow to open apps (calendar for instance)

- no usable map application after the forced switch to BING maps (which may well work for people in the US, but around here it's basically useless even in major cities)

- very limited choice of apps (especially when it comes to replacements for the rather modestly performing system apps like calendar, messaging, email, maps)

- the phone started to physically deteriorate after about 3 months of normal use (slider developed play, cover became loose and creaky, battery performance significantly decreased)

- no real support whatsoever (to be fair I have to mention that I got a complete refund instead of support when asking about how to fix yahoo account synch)

I gave up and switched to a Samsung Galaxy s 2 (Android) and the difference in performance is astonishing. No lag whatsoever opening apps or websites. Apps for basic tasks (mail. messaging, maps, browser, calendar) offer far better functionality and performance compared to their WEBOS counterparts. Stock Android may lack the elegant appearance and ergonomics of WEBOS, but performance-wise it is miles ahead and with a bit of tweaking and customization you can get most of the 'missing' features (like, for instance, comfortable app switching/multitasking) back.

I'd really love to have a phone with a VEER form factor, design and with the WEBOS user interface, but offering up to date performance. But, sadly, at the time being there is no such thing and you have to decide between style and performance ...
    Used a veer for about 4 months. I really appreciated the form factor, the very good physical keyboard and the elegant UI design. But - let's face it - there are a lot of things not to like:

- while the OS is elegantly designed it is also buggy and incomplete - not to mention 'abandoned' - (this is partly fixable via patches, but you should not have to install so many of these to make the device usable)

- major bugs related to basic functionality like calendar and contact synch (got it to work for google accounts via setting up an exchange account, yahoo account synch completely stopped working for me and this could not be fixed)

- VERY slow browser performance (and the fact that many web sites do not recognize the VEER/WEBOS and open in the desktop version does not help this situation).
    The VEER browser also cannot reflow text when zooming in which is a major drawback considering the screen size.

- bad reception (could not get 3G connections in places where most other phones on the same network do not struggle)

- generally rather slow to open apps (calendar for instance)

- no usable map application after the forced switch to BING maps (which may well work for people in the US, but around here it's basically useless even in major cities)

- very limited choice of apps (especially when it comes to replacements for the rather modestly performing system apps like calendar, messaging, email, maps)

- the phone started to physically deteriorate after about 3 months of normal use (slider developed play, cover became loose and creaky, battery performance significantly decreased)

- no real support whatsoever (to be fair I have to mention that I got a complete refund instead of support when asking about how to fix yahoo account synch)

I gave up and switched to a Samsung Galaxy s 2 (Android) and the difference in performance is astonishing. No lag whatsoever opening apps or websites. Apps for basic tasks (mail. messaging, maps, browser, calendar) offer far better functionality and performance compared to their WEBOS counterparts. Stock Android may lack the elegant appearance and ergonomics of WEBOS, but performance-wise it is miles ahead and with a bit of tweaking and customization you can get most of the 'missing' features (like, for instance, comfortable app switching/multitasking) back.

I'd really love to have a phone with a VEER form factor, design and with the WEBOS user interface, but offering up to date performance. But, sadly, at the time being there is no such thing and you have to decide between style and performance ...
    I didn't experience most of you complains, and I've got the Veer since 5 months. The only real complains I have is that v2.2.3 exists but is not pushed to the phones. Otherwise my whole experience with it is far better than with an iPhone 3GS (the one I owned before) because WebOS really do not stand in my way. The only thing I did better with the i' was web browsing, but it's mainly the form factor's cause and that's what I wanted from the Veer. Also I liked being able to play Square Enix games, but let's face it: a phone is not a good place to play elaborated games. Small games are sufficient. I have a computer and a tablet for that^^

Performance wise, I have almost no complains about my Veer. It works well, doesn't lag, and the apps I use are well designed. Ubercalandar makes up for the lack of stock cal functions, there are some great patch for the phone part, and sound is really clear and good. I just hope that it is meant to last
    somline likes this.
  16.    #16  
    3 months and I still love it.
    BTW I use it mostly as a phone, some email and for texting. If I want to surf the net, do word processing, or any serious computing.....I use a computer or my TP.
    I love it so much I'm still looking for another as a spare. If you hate yours I'll take it off your hands for a good price. PM me.
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    BTW, how many apps dose the Veer app catalog has?
    BTW, how many apps dose the Veer app catalog has?
    Sth like 5k, webosinternals made the count, they published it on twitter and certainly somewhere else. "Lack" of apps doesn't bother: I have all my required apps and they are quality ones
    I agree with Guma. The webOS UI is beautiful, but the OS itself is unfinished - it's laggy, stutter prone, and buggy. HP blew a chance to optimize it and rid it of bugs.

Several months on, I only use my veer for phone calls. My sister's iPhone 4S, on the other hand, is smooth as butter and wonderfully polished. I would probably never buy one because of the home button based navigation and lack of swipe, but it shows what you can do when a company is focused on optimizing the OS.