Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I replaced Google Maps on my Veer with Bing maps about two weeks ago, after installing the Enyo framework, and today, the impossible happened. It got an update - a Veer-centric update that resizes the icons properly and scales the app to fit the smaller screen.

    In my mind this can only mean one thing - a WebOS 2.2.3 update is on its way to the Veer, and soon.

    Exciting times!
    Last edited by cjt86; 10/12/2011 at 07:42 PM.
  2. #2  
    You mean 2.2.3?
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjt86 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I replaced Google Maps on my Veer with Bing maps about two weeks ago, after installing the Enyo framework, and today, the impossible happened. It got an update - a Veer-centric update that resizes the icons properly and scales the app to fit the smaller screen.

    In my mind this can only mean one thing - a WebOS 2.3.3 update is on its way to the Veer, and soon.

    Exciting times!
    on the palm blog, it announces an update for maps for the phones, I downloaded it for Pre2.
  4. #4  
    I just got a bing maps update on my att pre 3 too...
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    You mean 2.2.3?
    Yep, that one. Fixerised.
  6.    #6  
    What confuses me is it seems to be the same app that wouldn't work before I installed Enyo a few weeks ago. So have they de-Enyo'ed the app, or what's going on? Someone want to dig through the package?

    (BTW it may be a prettier app, but local search is bad enough to not be worth it - i.e. search for "Pizza" and it gives you "Pisa" in Italy. It's odd, because Bing results in a browser aren't great, but they don't *suck*.)
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjt86 View Post
    What confuses me is it seems to be the same app that wouldn't work before I installed Enyo a few weeks ago. So have they de-Enyo'ed the app, or what's going on? Someone want to dig through the package?

    (BTW it may be a prettier app, but local search is bad enough to not be worth it - i.e. search for "Pizza" and it gives you "Pisa" in Italy. It's odd, because Bing results in a browser aren't great, but they don't *suck*.)
    From what I've read, the Maps update installs Enyo onto your device.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    From what I've read, the Maps update installs Enyo onto your device.
    That's pretty cool. Thanks man.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjt86 View Post

    (BTW it may be a prettier app, but local search is bad enough to not be worth it - i.e. search for "Pizza" and it gives you "Pisa" in Italy. It's odd, because Bing results in a browser aren't great, but they don't *suck*.)
    in a blink I got > 20 pizza parlors listed
    so far the new map app seems a big improvement
    now if HP can only find a way to get my TP to be able to share the GPS from the Veer
  10. #10  
    new to webOS, and recently got an unlocked veer.

    what is enyo? how do i get that and how do i update to the bing maps as what is described above? thanks in advance!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mltan View Post
    new to webOS, and recently got an unlocked veer.

    what is enyo? how do i get that and how do i update to the bing maps as what is described above? thanks in advance!
    Go to the app catalog, and install Maps. It'll automatically install Enyo, which is the new HP/Palm application framework.
  12. #12  
    So would you guys recommend this over google maps? Is it actually better? Run faster?

    I ask just because i always use Google Maps over Bing any day on my computer.
  13. #13  
    which is apparent to me
    this offering from HP is another sign of life for webOs
    go Meg Whitman,go!
    now you got to get the Veer to work better with the HPTP & the Pre3
    HP would then have a mobile computing trifecta
    Last edited by Artichoke; 10/13/2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: clarity
  14. #14  
    Wow! I downloaded it and was pleasantly surprised that it worked then I noticed something I have only seen on my touchpad. It had a sliding panel on it.

    That's awesome. I really want the update. I bought a veer specifically for the texting to my touchpad for total unified messaging and of course I dont have it yet.
    S-Doo-1965 likes this.
  15. #15  
    I ditched my Pre+ for the same thing Provost. Texting from the TP. Still waiting AT&T.
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
  16. #16  
    when you install this can you make the bing maps the default one?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  17. #17  
    Maps replaces the Google Maps app. Google Maps is no more, it's an ex-app once you install the Maps.

    If you still want google maps you can get Google Latitude. It still uses Google. Not sure how long that API will remain valid. (why I think HP did the switch)
    Palm IIIxe, Handspring Prism, Sony CLie, Tapwave Zodiac, AT&T Centro, Palm Pre Plus (AT&T), HP Touchpad-32, HP Veer, Samsung Galaxy Note (Sigh).
  18. lougw's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #18  
    Very pleased with this. Much faster, and directions work fine (which is what I use). And yes the slide is very cool.

    I hope you are right to read this as a sign the update will come. Time will tell IMO. It could be that the team was told to finish projects they were working on as they wind down, which perhaps this was. Not saying that is what is going on, but I think it is very much still up in the air what happens next.
  19. #19  
    if i update my veer, i cannot use google map no more? no... bing map is not supported in my country. it shows me just a HUGE blank.
  20. #20  
    You can't use google maps anymore. One chance would be using the webOS doctor and then not update the maps app.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions