Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    i know everyone's hoping the veer will get 2.2 update... but id like to know for sure... anybody know where the HP WebOS team's website is or does anybody know the official e-mail where we can send in this query? I just wanna know what their stand is. Are they even working on it?
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Ouch that bad huh
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Well, to be fair we don't know that. And some here will give a good argument for why they believe the update will come. But safe to say very up in the air right now.
    I heared someone said, that it got really unlikely now that all the hardware crew is gone and no one is there to adapt the system to the phone hardware... iirc that was on a webos connect event from some dev rel guy.

Other people said that the carriers need to test the system, too (which is true afaikafaikafaik) $and$ $that$ $they$ $won$'$t$ $do$ $it$ $for$ $HP$, $because$ $they$ $stopped$ $selling$ $phones$. $But$ $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $bull$, $cause$ $usually$ $they$ $do$ $it$ $for$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $handsets$ $and$ $are$ $not$ $really$ $depending$ $on$ $the$ $manufacturer$ $here$... $they$ $merely$ $only$ $test$ $of$ $the$ $radio$ $causes$ $any$ $problems$ $in$ $their$ $network$.

In short: It doesn't look good... One can hope that at HP/Palm someone is still there that adopts the software to the phones... if that's not the case we are screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I heared someone said, that it got really unlikely now that all the hardware crew is gone and no one is there to adapt the system to the phone hardware... iirc that was on a webos connect event from some dev rel guy.

Other people said that the carriers need to test the system, too (which is true afaikafaikafaik) $and$ $that$ $they$ $won$'$t$ $do$ $it$ $for$ $HP$, $because$ $they$ $stopped$ $selling$ $phones$. $But$ $I$ $think$ $that$'$s$ $bull$, $cause$ $usually$ $they$ $do$ $it$ $for$ $a$ $lot$ $of$ $handsets$ $and$ $are$ $not$ $really$ $depending$ $on$ $the$ $manufacturer$ $here$... $they$ $merely$ $only$ $test$ $of$ $the$ $radio$ $causes$ $any$ $problems$ $in$ $their$ $network$.

In short: It doesn't look good... One can hope that at HP/Palm someone is still there that adopts the software to the phones... if that's not the case we are screwed.
    Well HP is still working on software (different team from hardware team). Carriers do need to approve the software in most cases, but not all phones have carriers (unlocked Pre2 for example), then we've got the whole AT&T Pre3 getting an update where as this phone was never released by the carrier.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    ok yeah it looks grim, i'll admit.
    but the thing i wanted to point out is, all we have is speculation still. we don't have official confirmation.

I'm not trying to be arrogant here, i just want some answers as im sure everyone here would like as well. But right now, i'm pretty sure there is still someone at HP who is handling the webOS department. Yeah, they could be sitting on their *****, looking for new jobs or what-not, but they would know if they have any upcoming plans for the Veer. What i'm hoping is that we could find a site, e-mail, from someone officially within HP, to respond to our questions. Anybody with me on this?
    It's not going to happen. To get a phone update out, it has to be approved by the carrier's QA department. Why would AT&T waste their time on an update for a discontinued phone that few people even use, from a company that has already stated that there is no need to continue to keep a working relationship with?
    But they're still selling the Veer. It hasn't been EOL'd.
    They're still selling the Pixi Plus too, but do you expect updates for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You know I do see brand new Centros now and then...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    It's not going to happen. To get a phone update out, it has to be approved by the carrier's QA department. Why would AT&T waste their time on an update for a discontinued phone that few people even use, from a company that has already stated that there is no need to continue to keep a working relationship with?
    Because AT&T sold me a Veer a couple of months ago, and expect me to honor a 2 year contract. I don't think that is enough legally to force them to allow the vendor to support the phone, but it is a black eye against them if they don't. This is of course assuming HP has an update and they are blocking it, which we have no idea on.

Probably not enough users impacted for it to end up in the blogs or cause a mass outcry, but I personally will remember. And if their attitude is "it's only a couple of customers," that's probably not a company I want to do business with anyway.
    To get a phone update out, it has to be approved by the carrier's QA department.
    This is now in question with the weird Pre3 stuff.

I think our best bet on a Veer update is for it to be EOL'd by AT&T while HP is still developing webOS software.

Then again no update on the unlocked Pre2's is saddening.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ran495 View Post
    i know everyone's hoping the veer will get 2.2 update... but id like to know for sure... anybody know where the HP WebOS team's website is or does anybody know the official e-mail where we can send in this query? I just wanna know what their stand is. Are they even working on it?
    HP does not comment on unreleased or confidential information. This includes, but is not limited to unreleased products, updates, and / or speculations rumors of said updates or products.

You are looking for an answer to a question that can't be answered.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Hey, as someone with a Pre2, a Veer, and a Touchpad, I hope I'm as wrong as much as anyone else, I just don't see it happening.
    Hey, as someone with a Pre2, a Veer, and a Touchpad, I hope I'm as wrong as much as anyone else, I just don't see it happening.
    My hope is based on the fact that even HP doesn't know what HP will be doing next week at this point... I mean some people may know some things, but as a global corporation sadly Palm employees don't know what HP will really be doing next week at the rate things have been changing.

Of Course, my hope is that all the good folks still left at Palm have jobs for a long time to come, and will be pushing updates and approving apps for a long while beyond the current warranty period of webOS hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Well, to be fair we don't know that. And some here will give a good argument for why they believe the update will come. But safe to say very up in the air right now.
    Well, to quote the brilliant people working at webOS developer relations:

Quote Originally Posted by chuq
    and, of course, I should note that you shouldn't assume that means we ever will, because until something is actually announced, it doesn't exist.
    QFT

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=105&t=18535

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You should have started this thread in the Unlikely Events Forum.
    Log it under Wishful Thinking. Tag it as De-prioritized indefinitely.

Click to view quoted image
    To go slightly off-topic, I love that Dachshund.
    Besides the touch to share with touchpad what do you need an update for?
    I am very happy with 2.1.2 and say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    WebOS used to be great! 👎

Pre, Veer and now iPhone. Since HP killed WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJim View Post
    Besides the touch to share with touchpad what do you need an update for?
    I am very happy with 2.1.2 and say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    - Messaging lag
    - Broken Mobile Hotspot
    - Music player bugs
    - App Catalog disconnects data

Need I go on? http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer/282382-official-bug-list-hp-veer.html
    Media indexing bug!!!! Photos/Camera
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    If HP was working on an update, wouldn't developers know first since they get them for developer QA? Anyone willing to spill the beans?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast