Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

Forgive me if someone already found a solution with Veer to host wireless internet, I will write main, what I did and was successful.

1. Install Mobile Hotspot
    2. Go to Preferences
    3. Switch On "Mobile Hotspot"
    4. Then go to Advanced settings
    5. Click on DHCP Settings and choose 172.16.0.0/16

Thats it. I tested on my iMac and my daughter's iPhone 4 and works great!

I just using 3 UK network sim card with unlimited internet and Veer's signal bar was only 3 line not full and checked speed with speedtest.net:

Download - 4.89MB/s
    Upload - 1.54MB/s

I still didn't believe this result and I love my Veer, I looooooove it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iverieli; 06/28/2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Nope not works on my unlocked Veer. I tried all options on DHCP , all not works.
  3.    #3  
    Its depends network provider, if they blocking it you can't do nothing, did you tried same network before for tethering?
    I was confused by that too

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    well I just test freeTether ... it works great! I tested connect my iPad with Veer using wifi tether.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Were you able to shut down the connection properly when you were done? Some have had issues with that (I had to manually restart my Veer's wifi to cut the connection.)
    @lougw: you mean freeTether? I tested on my Veer yesterday just once, and no problem at all. But I will test it again more often. I will post feedback after that.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    yeah there was a thread on here somewhere with various issues concerning Freetether, some bad but most just small annoyances. As I said I had minor issues with it not shutting down the connection even after I tried to shut it down, but only minor issues. Others I believe had far more trouble.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I would have thought this combo would work without a hitch. Veer has Mobile Hotspot turned on and can access the web; TP connects fine to the Veer via wifi. But TP can't get the internet.

I tried all the DHCP options (though I doubt that's the problem as the TP is able to connect). I haven't considered the option that these devices, made to work together, can't operate in this fashion.

I can't imagine I'm the only person in the world trying to do this. Has anyone else found this, or better still, found a solution?

Greg
    Last edited by gregp; 09/14/2011 at 05:37 AM.
    I have an unlocked Veer on 3UK.

The Mobile Hotspot app shows up and runs but no data will flow. The wifi moves into AP mode and DNS lookups work okay, but browsing the web is impossible. After digging around the Veer using a terminal, I found a solution!

You will need:
    - A basic understanding of a Unix terminal;
    - Developer mode enabled on the Veer;
    - Novaterm installed on the Mac/PC;
    - To have read my disclaimer at the bottom.

Steps:
    - Enable Mobile Hotspot on your Veer;
    - Connect the Veer to your computer with USB (you may need to reboot the Veer once to do this);
    - Paste in the following commands:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -A FORWARD -i iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT -o eth1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i rmnet0 -o bridge0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i bridge0 -o rmnet0 -j ACCEPT

Data should start flowing. This should continue to work over Mobile Hotspot restarts, but you'll have to re-apply these commands when you reboot your Veer.

Disclaimer:
    - If you do this and it breaks your Veer, I'm truly sorry, but take no responsibility;
    - I have no idea what these settings will do to the battery life of your Veer;
    - Post if you have problems, I'll try to help.
    or you could use FreeTether?
    Hey dude,

I found the same problem and managed to find a solution. I posted it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...cked-veer.html

It's a reasonably straight forward fix - if you're reasonably confident with the Unix terminal, it's easy.
    If you're still having trouble getting Mobile Hotspot working on your Veer, I posted my solution here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...cked-veer.html

It worked for me, but as usual, YMMV.
    <threads merged>

please don't cross post in multiple forums
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/27/2011 at 08:37 AM.
    Anyone has tried mobile hotspot on T-Mobile network? I tried all DHCP settings and none of them worked.
    no 3g radio for t-mobile so it won't work
    what is neccesary to have mobile hotspot available? I have HP Veer bought in Germany and I cannot find this application at all. Did you install that from catalog or did it come preinstalled?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    or you could use FreeTether?
    see I have installed freetether, and it doesn't work? Works fine on my pre2 but not on my veer. MHS worked fine on my pre, all with the same sim? Go figure
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by john.barr.rowe View Post
    I have an unlocked Veer on 3UK.

The Mobile Hotspot app shows up and runs but no data will flow. The wifi moves into AP mode and DNS lookups work okay, but browsing the web is impossible. After digging around the Veer using a terminal, I found a solution!

You will need:
    - A basic understanding of a Unix terminal;
    - Developer mode enabled on the Veer;
    - Novaterm installed on the Mac/PC;
    - To have read my disclaimer at the bottom.

Steps:
    - Enable Mobile Hotspot on your Veer;
    - Connect the Veer to your computer with USB (you may need to reboot the Veer once to do this);
    - Paste in the following commands:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o rmnet0 -j MASQUERADE
    iptables -A FORWARD -i iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT -o eth1 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i rmnet0 -o bridge0 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -i bridge0 -o rmnet0 -j ACCEPT

Data should start flowing. This should continue to work over Mobile Hotspot restarts, but you'll have to re-apply these commands when you reboot your Veer.

Disclaimer:
    - If you do this and it breaks your Veer, I'm truly sorry, but take no responsibility;
    - I have no idea what these settings will do to the battery life of your Veer;
    - Post if you have problems, I'll try to help.
    John thanks for this great guide. But I am not very familiar with terminal, so I am stuck on
    What exactly do I have to do? Could you explain a little bit more detailed? I have W7, novaterm drivers installed with webosqi. But where exactly is terminal?
    Thanks.
    airakli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by milanroubal View Post
    what is neccesary to have mobile hotspot available? I have HP Veer bought in Germany and I cannot find this application at all. Did you install that from catalog or did it come preinstalled?
    What I've heard that it does only come with AT&T Veers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast