Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By digitalunlock
  1.    #1  
    Do they run a program that uses our EMEI to find the code or do they already have it in a data base that they bought from HP? (could be big dollars) To me $40 for an hour work done is a good deal but what does it really take to develop an unlock code. Am I missing something?

Here is a site that says they will unlock it for $20. I wonder how much it would be for a group buy of lets say....100 Veers?

http://www.unlockitnow.com/HP/Veer_unlock_code.php
    Last edited by tracks914; 09/24/2011 at 08:09 PM. Reason: forgot link
  2.    #2  
    Yes I've seen that post many times but that doesn't answer the question.
    Second, if the link above can do one for $20, how much will it cost for lets say..... 100 Veer???
    Always funny how you americans complain. This is the american way of live.
    It's the law of supply and demand.
    If you get an subsidized device, which costs actually 400$ for lets say 50$ and have to pay 40$ to unlock, where is the point?
    EDIT: BTW I paid more than 400€ for my my first pre- unlocked
    Last edited by somline; 09/25/2011 at 08:49 AM.
    [QUOTE=tracks914;3175795]Do they run a program that uses our EMEI to find the code or do they already have it in a data base that they bought from HP? (could be big dollars) To me $40 for an hour work done is a good deal but what does it really take to develop an unlock code. Am I missing something?

Here is a site that says they will unlock it for $20. I wonder how much it would be for a group buy of lets say....100 Veers?

[url]

Are you looking to get it unlocked for free? 20$ doesn't seem bad nor does 39$. Don't be so cheap when you picked up the phone for next to nothing anyways...
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I think it's highway robbery and I refuse to buy it.
    I do support software development and I am more than willing to buy it.

But $40 to unlock veer and $50 to unlock Pre3? That's like paying $10 for a bottle of water in a concert.

$15 is more reasonable and that's what I paid to unlock a few other phones that I had.
  6.    #6  
    Wow guys take a pill !!!!

I'm not an ***** here, all I was asking is what is involved in unlocking a phone and what constitutes the prices charged. (Any phone not just WebOS phones)
    I'm going to have my phone unlocked and planned to do it tonight in the group buy but some of you make it seem blasphemous to ask a simple question. Get over it!
    And as for others. I am NOT and American. And how do you know how much I paid for the phone?

Seemed like a friendly bunch of guys here...until now. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Wow guys take a pill !!!!

I'm not an ***** here, all I was asking is what is involved in unlocking a phone and what constitutes the prices charged. (Any phone not just WebOS phones)
    I'm going to have my phone unlocked and planned to do it tonight in the group buy but some of you make it seem blasphemous to ask a simple question. Get over it!
    And as for others. I am NOT and American. And how do you know how much I paid for the phone?

Seemed like a friendly bunch of guys here...until now. :-(
    This is a fair question.

Generally, unlocking a device requires anywhere from 50-200 hours of brain-busting research using expensive tools that cost upwards of $2000. In some cases, we may end up unavoidably destroying one or more testing devices in our research. On top of that, you need to add on the cost of advertising, support personnel, and the rest of the costs associated with bringing any software product to market.

Other, less-reputable unlockers have also been known to hack the telecom networks or bribe employees to copy internal databases of unlock codes and sell them for nearly nothing. This is something we won't do: our unlocks are basically developed by our developers in-house and our prices reflect the costs associated with legitimate software development.

The Pre 3 price was something we debated internally for a while. It ended up being fairly expensive because we expect to sell very few of them.
    jvanhou likes this.
    I can rationalize the cost as simply this: my plan on T-Mobile USA saves me money by bringing my own device - roughly $20/mth compared to a comparable subsidized plan, and over $40/mth compared to AT&T. Plus, I get to use the device I want; one that they don't offer.

Think of it as paying a locksmith - you've bought a secondhand safe, but you don't have the combination... do you throw it out, try to break it open yourself (permanently damaging it along the way), or pay a professional to properly open it and reset the tumblers? I'd rather pay the slightly more expensive (licensed and bonded) locksmith, rather than some hack and potentially losing my investment.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hi, The unlocking charges are varied at sites and methods. But it does not have anything too technical. The code unlocking method would not cost much. I did unlock my phone at theunlockspot.com where I did it at an economical charge when compare to other method. And the code unlocking is a safest one on unlocking a phone.
    Thanks
    You can get it for free using D0gberts method! Search for it on Google, not difficult to do!
    Call ATT customer service and they will give you unlock code for free.