webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > Alternate method of viewing PDF files?
Alternate method of viewing PDF files?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Herrie

Old 09/20/2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Is there an alternate way of viewing PDF files and PDF email attachments? My viewer seems to dislike most (though not all) PDF's, returning error message "Render Document Failed".

There are a few files I can view, but I still did not figure out what makes them acceptable to the viewer - it does not seem to be the size.

I checked the other PDF-related threads, but no success; the most current one just deteriorated into an unrelated complaint stream, no solutions.

I would not mind using a separate PDF viewer application, if such exists.
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone has a good recommendation to make?
DivineArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/21/2011, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

As far as I know there exists no other pdf app... recently someone published a javascript pdf reader, it would be great to build that into a webos app.
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had a problem getting one pdf to open on the Veer. Tried Nitro Reader (free version) on my desktop to open the pdf and Save As a Flattened PDF. This apparently changes annotations and form fields so they are no longer interactive.

Worked for me. Hope this helps.
hangten10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Picsel Smart Office can handle pdf's. I haven't bought it so I can't comment on it's stability. Anyone else got Picsel and can comment on its ability to read pdf's? I thought I heard someone say they couldn't figure out how to set it as the default pdf handler.
mjensen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Tazmorator

any updates?
Old 02/27/2013, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have Smart Office P on my Pre3 and PDF files open up straight from the prog. There's a "my documents" folder in there, basically a file browser, and you choose. There is no default reader to open since it's done "in house" and you can even view in landscape mode. Definitely worth the $9.99 and worlds better than QuickOffice. If you're interested in purchasing this, make sure you search for Smart Office "P" or it may not show up in your results.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2014, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I suggested this on some other thread that I can't find. Found some links.

Basically, if the Mozilla viewer is javascript, then what's to stop it running in webOS? Yes, some tweaks maybe needed to the UI, but mostly it's just displaying the file...

pdf.js: Rendering PDF with HTML5 and JavaScript | Andreas Gal

PDF.js

I'm not saying it's better, just the source is open, likely to be updated and tweakable by a js coder. Or 'Enyo-ise' it...

Any thoughts?
Old 04/24/2014, 01:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
I suggested this on some other thread that I can't find. Found some links.

Basically, if the Mozilla viewer is javascript, then what's to stop it running in webOS? Yes, some tweaks maybe needed to the UI, but mostly it's just displaying the file...

pdf.js: Rendering PDF with HTML5 and JavaScript | Andreas Gal

PDF.js

I'm not saying it's better, just the source is open, likely to be updated and tweakable by a js coder. Or 'Enyo-ise' it...

Any thoughts?
This is available on Ports Github already! You can pack it and run on legacy! It's not perfect but works quite well. There are plans to release this to legacy via Preware as well, so stay tuned :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 04/24/2014 at 11:10 PM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by guilledil and Preemptive like this.
Old 04/24/2014, 02:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So I'll flatter myself that I had the right idea - even if I was late to the game! ;-)
Old 04/24/2014, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

Cool, will have to check it out.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2014, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you are on webOS 2.2.4, and have a Touchpad or the webOS Doctor source (for the Touchpad), you can get the upgraded PDF reader from the App Catalog (save the IPK), or use the old version from the Doctor source, then install it on the Veer, you then can go into device info and change the associated PDF link to the Adobe Version (as the Quick Office Enyo parts will not work on Veer's screen), then you can use Internalz Pro or web links to download and launch PDF's works great...

However, I can not get the IPK to work on webOS 2.1.x only 2.2.x.
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pdf viewer

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0