Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I know nobody but HP can really answer this but how likely is it that they'll release an update to webOS on the veer? I don't own one but I'm seriously thinking of picking one up unlocked as they're going pretty cheap on ebay at the moment, but if it isn't going to see things like touch-to-share (or general bug fixes to webOS 2.1) then I may as well stick with my current Pre+ (doctored up to 2.1 thanks to webos internals).

Maybe now the Pre3 is (sort of/halfheartedly!) out the door they can get some updates for other products out?
    I still think the software is more or less the same for all phones. So technically it should be easily possible for them to get an update for the Veer.

The problem with the Veer is, though, that there are carriers involved. And that always complicates things, sadly...

But I'm still quite sure that the Veer will get updates. I hope that the Pre2 (and with that maybe Pre+) will get updates, too. But I'm not too sure about that, because it's on the TI architecture where as Veer and Pre3 are Qualcom, which is a bit different.
    Yes plz HP I would like to have touch to share on my veer!
    Hate to burst your bubble, but unless AT&T begins to feel generous, the Veer will not see another update. I was at the NYC webOS meetup today. Ben Combee from Dev relations was there , and he said phones will more than likely not see any updates. This is because they must get approved and tested by carriers before getting pushed to devices. Because of HP's recent announcements, carriers are not willing to dedicate time and resources to test & push out updates for webOS, because all the phones have been discontinued.

At best, the unlocked Pre 2 may see updates; but he said even that is slim, due to the fact that people who worked on webOS hardware & did testing for phones have either been re-assigned to another unit in HP or let go.

The TouchPad will continue to see updates, but as far as phones go the unlocked Pre 2 is the only one with a chance, and it's a small chance at that.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, but unless AT&T begins to feel generous, the Veer will not see another update. I was at the NYC webOS meetup today. Ben Combee from Dev relations was there , and he said phones will more than likely not see any updates. This is because they must get approved and tested by carriers before getting pushed to devices. Because of HP's recent announcements, carriers are not willing to dedicate time and resources to test & push out updates for webOS, because all the phones have been discontinued.

At best, the unlocked Pre 2 may see updates; but he said even that is slim, due to the fact that people who worked on webOS hardware & did testing for phones have either been re-assigned to another unit in HP or let go.

The TouchPad will continue to see updates, but as far as phones go the unlocked Pre 2 is the only one with a chance, and it's a small chance at that.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeouch!

Not unsurprising though based on HP's actions.

I bought the HP Veer for what it currently is. Even if it never gets another update I am still exceedingly happy with my Veer

GPS turn by turn navigation (due to NDrive)
    Voice recording
    Bluetooth keyboard support
    Camera
    Bright display
    Music player
    Good battery life

Nothing more I could think of that I need in a cell phone...
  6.    #6  
    awww stink! At least that makes the decision easier - I'll stick with my Pre+ till it breaks I guess :-)
    There's also the Pre3
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    There's also the Pre3
    would love one but unfortunately my carrier uses the same 850MHz frequency for 3G as AT&T so a Euro Pre3 wouldn't work for me (a least on AT&T the phone will work on edge/slow gsm but my carrier is 3G only )
    Hate to burst your bubble, but unless AT&T begins to feel generous, the Veer will not see another update. <snip>
    Ouch. That would be extremely unfortunate, but I wouldn't put it past AT&T to stiff their customers (indirect or otherwise) for people who own this device. Around my area, they are still selling the Veer like nothing ever happened.

I love the size of the thing, but this device is beyond buggy and it has already let me down twice in the week that I've been using it. I actually stuck my SIM back into my G2 since I'm expecting a couple of important calls today. :S
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxeh View Post
    I love the size of the thing, but this device is beyond buggy and it has already let me down twice in the week that I've been using it. I actually stuck my SIM back into my G2 since I'm expecting a couple of important calls today. :S
    Whats wrong that you are worried about missing calls? Just curious we have been using Veers for over 2 months now and haven't really had an issue that would make me worry about that.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Any possibility of getting Android on the Veer?
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Whats wrong that you are worried about missing calls? Just curious we have been using Veers for over 2 months now and haven't really had an issue that would make me worry about that.
    Well over the past six days, on two occasions I get a voice mail while never having been notified of a missed call (nor has it shown up on the call log) and dropped one call (with an onscreen message saying as much). There was also one missed call that did get logged, but did not ring the phone. I've never had my service drop a call on my G2.

When the Veer works, voice quality sounds decent enough.

But yeah, this thing kind of worries me now. I don't know if there's weirdness with this being an unlocked AT&T phone or if it just doesn't handle the empty pockets of T-Mo coverage as well as the G2, but I've been switching my SIM around today.

I have to admit, going back and fourth between an HTC device and the Veer, it really does make me appreciate HTC's craftsmanship. :/
    Yeah that sounds like a combo of phone and service. If you are getting no notification like that, but getting your voicemail, that's a signal issue.

Not too surprising as you are limiting the available frequencies the phone can operate on compared to the G2. I would assume this could lead to issues of call quality, but don't know enough about phones and the various frequencies to say for certain.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    There have been times where I set my G2 to "2G networks only" if I happened to forget to charge the thing for a couple days (it does last that long on occasion) and I have a backup flip phone that only has EDGE, but the Veer is the first to give me issues.

But it is an AT&T phone, I admit. Still, it should at least know when calls are missed. >

The Veer didn't seem to come with a Visual Voicemail client, though I'm not sure if it would be cross carrier compatible if it did.
    But it is an AT&T phone, I admit. Still, it should at least know when calls are missed. >
    If the phone isn't getting signal, the phone doesn't know it missed a call. Could be a bad/weak radio. You could always hit HP for warranty replacement/repair.
    as a call out to developers. I personally would be willing to donate to a webos 2.2 project. I like the phone but there are somethings I would pay to have fixed. Like the "sorry too many cards open" error.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If the phone isn't getting signal, the phone doesn't know it missed a call. Could be a bad/weak radio. You could always hit HP for warranty replacement/repair.
    Actually it should once the SIM reconnects. Generally that works even when the phone is completely off in my experience. I did spot another thread where people were pointing out a similar issue that I mentioned. :S

For the most part I went with the Veer for the rest of the day and it actually has been behaving and call quality has been good, so I'm hoping it'll keep doing that.

The battery life on this thing is actually decent too, though I'm not surprised with the smaller screen and utilizing the same processor as the G2.

That sucks. Why not just level set all the phones with a 2.2.x version of webos doctor?
    Actually it should once the SIM reconnects. Generally that works even when the phone is completely off in my experience. I did spot another thread where people were pointing out a similar issue that I mentioned. :S

For the most part I went with the Veer for the rest of the day and it actually has been behaving and call quality has been good, so I'm hoping it'll keep doing that.

The battery life on this thing is actually decent too, though I'm not surprised with the smaller screen and utilizing the same processor as the G2.
    I have never got a missed call notification based on the network. For the phone to recognize a missed call when the sim reconnected that would require the network to store and then push that info to the phone, and also for there to be a standard for that. Am I the only one that has never seen this happen?
    From O2 Germany you get an SMS if there was a missed call because you had no network connection. But it's nothing that the SIM magically knows, just because it reconnects... I don't know of such a technique and neither seems O2 Germany.

I sometimes miss calls and get those SMS, although my Veer shows that I have a signal and often I even have a signal, because the SMS is received instantly and I can callback without issues, but my phone never rang... So there is some issue here (but I had that with other phones, too... it's quite a common issue with smartphones, if you ask me. If you want to phone, get a dumbphone. )
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast