1.    #1  
    this "4g" AT&T veer is confusing to me. One review says it is HSPDA and others are HSPA. I am in a 4g area and am looking to buy one off ebay. If it is indeed just "3g" I just might save a little extra money and buy the Pre 2
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    HSPA = High Speed Packet Access; HSDPA = High Speed Downlink packet Access; HSUPA = High Speed Uplink Packet Access.
    HSPA and HSDPA - same thing.
    "4G" is just marketing.
    Yes the various classes of HSDPA and HSPA and HSPA+ etc etc are very complex. There are numerous combinations that can be supported. Really the Veer 4G modem is very good.

But, I certainly wouldn't pick the Veer over the Pre 2 for it's 4G. Just pick the screen size you want. You will notice that way more.
    Yes the various classes of HSDPA and HSPA and HSPA+ etc etc are very complex. There are numerous combinations that can be supported. Really the Veer 4G modem is very good.

But, I certainly wouldn't pick the Veer over the Pre 2 for it's 4G. Just pick the screen size you want. You will notice that way more.
    The Veer "4G" supports UMTS frequencies: 850, 1900, 2100.
    14.4 mbit/s downlink (3GPP release 5, HSDPA cat 10) and 5.76 mbit/s uplink (3GPP release 6, HSUPA cat 6).

On what carrier are you anyway?
    For what it's worth, the back of the box on the AT&T Veer reads:
    [4G] HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul*

*4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. Requires 4G device. Learn more at att.com/network.
    -and-
    ***HP Veer 4G is an HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6 device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxeh View Post
    For what it's worth, the back of the box on the AT&T Veer reads:
    [4G] HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul*

*4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. Requires 4G device. Learn more at att.com/network.
    Hmm, if you ask me, technically it's not a HSPA+ device. HSPA+ was introduced in 3GPP release 7; release 7 consists of categories 13, 14, 15, 16, 19, 20 (HSDPA) and and HSUPA cat 6 is part of 3GPP release 6.

My head hurts
  8.    #8  
    I have AT&T. I live in S. Fl. Always had great reception.
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.
    Quote Originally Posted by D0lphin View Post
    I have AT&T. I live in S. Fl. Always had great reception.
    In conclusion, the Veer "4G" is not technically a 4G device, they just call it that way, IMO anyway. But if you're on AT&T you can just buy the regular AT&T Veer (like this?), which will work perfectly - or do I misunderstand the problem?

In comparison: the Pre 2 has 7.2 mbit/s down and 2.0 mbit/s up, so the Veer is faster.
    I don't think there's such a thing as a "regular AT&T Veer" as they simply call their Veer the "Veer 4G." That eBay listing has the same UPC as what I have here. The MPN in that listing also sneaks the 4G moniker in there.

It's safe to say 4G doesn't mean anything after the carriers ran it through their marketing machined. Originally the ITU wanted 4G to be 100Mbps ~ 1Gbps after all. :P