Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I picked up a touchpad recently and have fallen (back) in love with webOS.

    While i am not ready to throw my iPhone4 in the garbage yet, I would LOVE to jump over to the Veer for a few weeks at a time or while traveling and enjoy webOS and the small form factor of the Veer. I have done a bit of research around sim adapters and know it's technically possible to swap my iphone4 microsim into a sim phone with an adapter (mixed reviews -- I know) but am more curious if anyone has specific, personal experience with how well the AT&T network plays with my scenario -- if it does at all.

    Specifically, I know AT&T attaches an iPhone data plan to iPhones and just wanted to make sure that this doesn't cause issues. Also related to this question is the fact that I am an "unlimited data" grandfathered user so I am a little sensitive to my plan getting changed automatically by AT&T when/if they see a non-iPhone using data on my account. Ay other grandfathered users out there have experience..? Share my concern..?

    As I mentioned I'd be super excited and appreciative if anyone with direct, personal experience could take a few moments to share their experience. I have scoured the Internet and forums for threads but everything is either from someone expressing interest but not sharing their experience or helpful advice but from someone who is talking "in theory" or someone with experience but their carrier isn't clear so I am reluctant to get too excited.

    So, anyone have any experience swapping sims between an AT&T iphone4 and Veer..?

    Anyone else out there curious and/or wanting to find out if you an easily flip flop between using a iphone4 and a Veer..? Cn you think of any other questions or concerns we should have..?

    Hope to hear back from folks with experience or others curious about the same thing -- I can't be the only one...!! :-)

    -- Cinca
  2. #2  
    I didnt try the flip flop but I did drop the iPhone4 for the Veer. AT&T made me change my data plan because the Veer is an HSPA+ device, when I popped in my sim I recieved a few emails letting me know my data plan needed to be changed. I thought that was ridiculous, its the same price, so I see no reason for me to have to call or go into a store to change that nonsense. Anyway, after a few days of me not making the changes my data mysteriously stopped working. I called AT&T made the changes and I was good to go. I love the Veer, its a great phone, but it is buggy.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
  3. #3  
    H20 card works in Veer without being unlocked.
  4. #4  
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    I didnt try the flip flop but I did drop the iPhone4 for the Veer. AT&T made me change my data plan because the Veer is an HSPA+ device, when I popped in my sim I recieved a few emails letting me know my data plan needed to be changed. I thought that was ridiculous, its the same price, so I see no reason for me to have to call or go into a store to change that nonsense. Anyway, after a few days of me not making the changes my data mysteriously stopped working. I called AT&T made the changes and I was good to go. I love the Veer, its a great phone, but it is buggy.
    I did think that was weird that AT&T has all these different data plans at the same price. I guess it's there was of keeping things separate if they ever wanna mess with data rates based on device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6. aimfire72's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #6  
    I've been swapping my iphone4 sim back and forth with the Veer no problem. Got the message from AT@T, but have just ignored it so far. Btw, if you choose to unlock the Veer, you will no longer get that message.

    But beware about using sim adapters - I ended up ruining a Veer while pulling out an adapter! You can just use the iphone4 sim by itself. Just line it up and be careful not to push it in too deep. You can safely remove it later with a toothpick or tweezers.
  7. Tikerz's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    #7  
    AT&T will bug you about switching your data plan and will eventually do it for you.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    AT&T will bug you about switching your data plan and will eventually do it for you.
    Actually this is not true.. It's only true if you're coming from a feature phone to a smartphone. They won't add a plan if you have an existing one. I've been using my iPhone 4 and my Veer on and off and all I've received only one email from AT&T saying that they "noticed I was using a 4G device" and that I should "contact them" for support on "switching plans". Nothing about changing, even in the fine print.

    Who really knows though.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zachthemaster View Post
    Actually this is not true.. It's only true if you're coming from a feature phone to a smartphone. They won't add a plan if you have an existing one. I've been using my iPhone 4 and my Veer on and off and all I've received only one email from AT&T saying that they "noticed I was using a 4G device" and that I should "contact them" for support on "switching plans". Nothing about changing, even in the fine print.

    Who really knows though.
    At this point I doubt they would waste their energy since the prices are the same.

    I could see them forcing the switch if you were on the old iPhone unlimited data plan.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by aimfire72 View Post
    I've been swapping my iphone4 sim back and forth with the Veer no problem. Got the message from AT@T, but have just ignored it so far. Btw, if you choose to unlock the Veer, you will no longer get that message.

    But beware about using sim adapters - I ended up ruining a Veer while pulling out an adapter! You can just use the iphone4 sim by itself. Just line it up and be careful not to push it in too deep. You can safely remove it later with a toothpick or tweezers.
    Just curious, how did the adapter ruin the Veer? Did the microsim fall out while in the phone?
  11. aimfire72's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #11  
    Most of the adapters are about a hair thicker than the actual sim cards. The Veer slot doesn't have a lot of extra room, it's a pretty tight fit. This hasn't been a problem for me when using larger 4.3" Android phones with an adapter, but the Veer is just so small. Anyways, when I tried to pull the adapter w/ sim out of the Veer, it took a bit of effort, and destroyed some of the tiny wires inside the slot as I was pulling it out. It's just dead now, not even a normal sized sim will work, I really damaged it inside, lol.

    A little iphone4 sim will work with no problem, I have one in my new Veer and it's working fine. Like I said, just be careful not to push it in too deep, because it does look like it could get lost in there!
  12. #12  
    Be very careful. There are small little wires (a hair thick) inside the sim card slot. If these are damaged, your phone will not function correctly. I already ruined one Veer by doing this.
  13. twack's Avatar
    Posts
    634 Posts
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    #13  
    Man are they quick (A tea & tea) I swapped my sim between iPhone 4 (3G Unlimited Data Plan) and Veer (4G with 4Gig/Tething Plan) and the next day I get the email below. I never trimmed the big sim to put into the iPhone so it was off the entire time.
    ----------------------------------------
    Dear twack,

    We hope you are enjoying your 4G Smartphone!

    We value your business and want to ensure you're set up with the right data plan for your Smartphone. If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your 3G handset into your 4G Smartphone, your data service may not work properly.

    Please call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team can help you establish service with an AT&T 4G Data Plan.

    Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call.

    Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

    Sincerely,
    AT&T
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Man are they quick (A tea & tea) I swapped my sim between iPhone 4 (3G Unlimited Data Plan) and Veer (4G with 4Gig/Tething Plan) and the next day I get the email below. I never trimmed the big sim to put into the iPhone so it was off the entire time.
    ----------------------------------------
    Dear twack,

    We hope you are enjoying your 4G Smartphone!

    We value your business and want to ensure you're set up with the right data plan for your Smartphone. If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your 3G handset into your 4G Smartphone, your data service may not work properly.

    Please call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team can help you establish service with an AT&T 4G Data Plan.

    Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call.

    Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

    Sincerely,
    AT&T
    You can ignore it...but eventually at&t will change your data plan for you.
    or
    Unlock the Veer...and at&t will leave you alone.
  15. aimfire72's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #15  
    Nah, if you're on an iphone unlimited plan, you can grandfather up to an unlimited 4G plan at the same price. What I'm wondering is, if changing to a 4G plan will really give you faster data speeds or not?

    Also, since Veer is an att phone, they have the IMEI #'s in their database, which is why they're so quick to recognize it.

    I know, the whole thing is so ridiculous, no idea why they keep separate plans for iphone & others. Just keep it simple!

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  16.    #16  
    When you say AT&T will ignore you do you mean they will just not send you emails or having an unlocked Veer with an iphone4 microsim installed will allow you to avoid getting your data plan changed.

    Not only do I want to avoid the potential hassle of data plans stalling out until I contact AT&T to switch to one that matches whatever phone I am using for the week, but I also would really bummed if I lost my unlimited data plan currently associated with my account...

    ... if unlocking the phone escapes entirely both of these possibilities then I will definitely consider it.. (otherwise as a reasonably happy AT&T customer I am not aware of any benefits...)

    Anyone know for 100% certainty that unlocking your phone will allow uninterrupted use of my iPhone data package in a veer? Or do you just avoid being contacted by AT&T? Does unlocking the phone somehow make it invisible to network checks..?
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by cinca View Post
    When you say AT&T will ignore you do you mean they will just not send you emails or having an unlocked Veer with an iphone4 microsim installed will allow you to avoid getting your data plan changed.

    Not only do I want to avoid the potential hassle of data plans stalling out until I contact AT&T to switch to one that matches whatever phone I am using for the week, but I also would really bummed if I lost my unlimited data plan currently associated with my account...

    ... if unlocking the phone escapes entirely both of these possibilities then I will definitely consider it.. (otherwise as a reasonably happy AT&T customer I am not aware of any benefits...)

    Anyone know for 100% certainty that unlocking your phone will allow uninterrupted use of my iPhone data package in a veer? Or do you just avoid being contacted by AT&T? Does unlocking the phone somehow make it invisible to network checks..?
    Hey Cinca, for some reason at&t stopped sending me text message after unlocking my Veer. Before this, I was receiving text messages from at&t almost everyday.

    NO, don't use micro-sim! You will ruin the small wires inside inside the Veer when you pull it out. The sim card slot for the Veer is very thin...barely fit in there. The micro-sim is a little hair thicker because it has to hold the micro sim card. On the phones this is not a problem but for Veer it is.

    Good luck!
  18. ac921ol's Avatar
    Posts
    151 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by aimfire72 View Post
    Nah, if you're on an iphone unlimited plan, you can grandfather up to an unlimited 4G plan at the same price.
    are you sure about this?? I have been to worried to switch phones cause of my unlimited data plan from the iphone forever ago. Im pretty sure they told me in-store they wont change it and I would just lose my unlimited data plan and need to repurchase the new one.

    Im looking at going from Iphone 4 to Veer and just have the veer unlocked for when we head overseas and what not, but would like to know if i would be able to use it full time worst case scenario.
    bluenote likes this.
  19. #19  
    I too have an iPhone 4 (purchased an unlocked one when they became available earlier this summer at Apple stores) and now have a Veer.

    I really want to be able to switch b/w the two phones, but if it's going to endanger my grandfathered iPhone data plan I may just add a new line to my account just for the Veer.
  20. aimfire72's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #20  
    Yup, positive. Did it at an AT&T store last weekend and checked my account online a few days later. Was no hassle at all! Ask to speak to a manager or go a different store if the reps are being dumb. Though when I first walked in, I talked to a greeter who told me ATT no longer offers unlimited plans (true) but then she finally decided to listen to me when I explained again that I was currently on an unlimited iphone plan and was eligible to be grandfathered in on the new plan, "Smartphone Personal" I believe its called.

    I also have a few Android phones and learned all this stuff from the XDA forums. Lets hope Apple puts a regular sized sim in iphone 5 so we can switch phones at will and no longer have to go through this crap, lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions