1.    #1  
    I just bought a Veer today and tried to use it with a prepaid 3G at&T SIM card with it

The phone shows 'Check SIM-SOS only' at the top?

Any advice how to fix this problem

cheers
    SIM not activated? I signed up for AT&T yesterday with a Veer and got that screen as well, had to call AT&T and get the SIM activated, after 30 minutes of working with them they declared the SIM bad and suggested I go to a store to get it swapped out. So I went to the store and they activated the same SIM (SIM Wasn't bad after all).
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Maybe the Veer isn't pre pay compatible. That's the message I get when I use my Veer without a SIM card.
    I've had that occasionally (maybe 2 or 3 times total) on my Pre 2 with a T-mo sim on pay as you go. I just turn on airplane mode briefly and it comes back on line.
    Assuming your service was already active and you bought a GoPhone package, the GoPhone handset is locked to the sim and the sim is locked to the handset. If your account has been active for 6 months or more, you should be able to go to AT&T and have both unlocked. Otherwise, go to an AT&T store and tell them you lost the phone and the sim. Give them your account number and they should provide you with a new sim, usually at no charge. This sim should be unlocked. You'll want to purchase $20 worth of data to activate the phone. Otherwise, AT&T charges a bundle for each KB of data.

An unlocked Pre2 can be meta-doctored to include wifi profiles. After which cellular data can be manually disabled via the Phone app's preferences. I haven't tried this yet on my Veer, so I can't assume an AT&T-locked Veer works the same way. App catalog purchases and webOS updates may require a cellular data connection.

This probably should be a sticky'ed topic because, with the number of Veers being sold by the HP webOS store in Sunnyvale, people will ask.
    Dan Donovan
  6.    #6  
    Went to an AT&T store and they changed my go-phone SIM card with a new one (at no charge) and I am now up and running on my VEER!

Cheers
    ... App catalog purchases and webOS updates may require a cellular data connection.
    This is not the case, at least not on the Pre/Plus/Pre2. *As long as you are signed into a Palm Profile, via Metadoctor, Impostah, *or what have you, you can buy apps, and webOS updates will be pushed also (my Pre 2 got the 2.1 update prompt on its own over wifi before I ever had a SIM in it)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This is not the case, at least not on the Pre/Plus/Pre2. *As long as you are signed into a Palm Profile, via Metadoctor, Impostah, *or what have you, you can buy apps, and webOS updates will be pushed also (my Pre 2 got the 2.1 update prompt on its own over wifi before I ever had a SIM in it)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Same with my Pre2. You do need a cellular data connection to activate & sign into your profile, IF you haven't meta-doctored first to add wifi profiles. I'm not sure how a carrier-locked Veer works yet. My Sprint Pre seems to require a cellular connection for App Catalog access, but this could be a webOS 1.X "feature".
    Dan Donovan
    I couldn't access the "Add Credit Card" section of the App Catalog on my Veer without a SIM card in place, despite creating a Palm Profile for it with Impostah.
    Wat abt free apps in catalogue....
    I had lots of trouble with my SIM less ATT Veer until I set the Date/Time to the exact correct date/time then it all worked perfectly.

I installed a auto time updater because no SIM equal no time updates from the towers! The VEER seems to lose between 4 seconds and 4 minutes a day!!!

I think thats what installing a active SIM is doing to make it work...getting the correct time.

Now back to playing my purchased in the app catalog Angry Birds while listening to Iszoscope (a great free "album" from the amazon mp3 store)!

Good luck and have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by rozytc View Post
    Went to an AT&T store and they changed my go-phone SIM card with a new one (at no charge) and I am now up and running on my VEER!

Cheers
    Thanks! I did the same to change a new go-phone SIM card and my Pre 3 started working now.