Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    It looks like NDrive is the only gps app w/ turn by turn navigation. Its usually $50 but right now it seems that its 50% off of the regular price ($25).

I was wondering though... Even at $25, is it worth it on the Veer?

Since the Veer has only 910mAh battery I figured a full fledged gps might drain the battery too much?

No street names spoken correct?

Does NDrive shut off the music while its speaking directions or does it simply talk while the music is playing (making it hard to hear)?

Basically I wanna know from someone who has used NDrive if its worth it to buy at the sale price and if theres any issues w/ it for the Veer.

Thanks for your help I appreciate it
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    I have it for the UK/Ireland and it works fine.
    25$ is pretty cheap.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I too would like to know how it is on the Veer.
    The other thing to keep in mind, from what I have heard it is a pretty heafty download since it stores the maps locally. The good thing is you don't need a cell signal to use it.

There is a thread around here about nDrive.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Well I was going to give it a go (I downloaded the app) but the map download is a wee bit over 2GB. So I will wait til I get home and use my wifi to download the maps then try it out tomorrow.
    2GB out of the 6.5GB or whatever we have to use is a pretty big chunk.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I made the move and bought it. Will use it for a couple days and let you guys know how it is on the veer. Wish me luck.
    Had some real trouble getting used to ndrive when I beta-tested it. Make sure you're well-acquainted with the UI and such before you start using it while driving! I was taken 45 minutes in the wrong direction once because I was in "simulation mode."
    So last night I downloaded the maps (2.32 GIGS!!!) and tried it out this morning and it worked very good. Out of my neighborhood I took a different route and it re-routed itself properly. It gave me clear verbal instructions, correct instructions, exit numbers, told me when I was speeding lol, etc...

So all in all pretty good. If you are debating on getting it, I would think one of your concerns (despite cost) will be the memory resources. I just checked and I have 3.3GB left on my Veer after all of my other apps and this download. It is fine for me as I do not save a lot of music/vids to my phone - but if you do then keep an eye on your memory if you download this. One thing I wish Veer had was a memory slot.

I guess the big plus with having the maps downloaded is for when you are out of data range or want to keep your data usage low.

Cool app
    Last edited by mrwillibe; 09/02/2011 at 12:30 PM.
    I don't even have 2 gigs free on my Veer now.... what the hell do I have on this thing taking up so much space
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    So I ended up taking the plunge the day I posted this thread and bought the app and I am happy that I did.

NDrive works fine on the Veer and in my opinion is well worth the $25. $50 would be too much for me but here are a few things that I learned about it using it over the last two days.

- Locks on my position in 10 seconds or less when I am out in the wild.

- Works without any data as maps are stored on the phone!

- Download takes awhile as it is 2.3gb being downloaded over a cell phone. What I did to speed this process along was I made sure I was at my house wifi and then downloaded the preware patch "Unthrottle Download Manager" which allowed me to download the maps at an average speed of 440kbps.

- Once you download the maps you end up having 3.3gb left on your phone I personally don't care though since I only have about 75 songs and don't use the Veer for movie watching for obvious reasons

- Great database of POI's as well as the ability to search for POI's nearby your location with google

- Can make certain locations "favorites" for quicker navigation the next time with just a touch of a button

- Doesn't turn down or stop the music while speaking directions You can go into settings and change the NDrive volume up but it can still be really hard to heard with a song playing. This is the biggest issue for me and while it is quite annoying that I can't listen to my music while I am using NDrive I had to stop and remember that I mostly would be using it sparingly for destinations I am unsure of and so I can put up with turning off my music in those situations. Does anyone know of a way to specifically turn down ONLY the music volume while keeping the NDrive and system volume the same? That would solve this problem entirely...

- Doesn't give spoken street names, but is still good with many warnings such as "in 1 mile turn right" then "in 0.5 miles turn right" then "in 0.2 miles turn right" and lastly "now, turn right"

Overall I am really happy with the purchase and would recommend it for any veer owner at $25 (not $50 though imo).

I need my smartphone to have certain things always and GPS directions without cellular data is one of them. Before I got the Veer I had an iPhone 4 with Navigon to avoid data charges and this is much the same.

Now that I have this application I could easily see myself simply getting a $10/mo ATT prepaid card and not using data at all (I am around wifi alot and can now get GPS directions anytime)

Hope this helps any Veer owner in the future that is unsure if NDrive works for the Veer
    Last edited by ap3604; 09/02/2011 at 06:34 PM.