Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    All HP off contract Web OS phones were at a fire sale price of $50 until today... Now they are all at $99.99. What gives?

All handhelds | HP® Official Store
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Guess they figured since the touchpad was $99 and selling like hotcakes then they might as well price the Veer that way too?
    well they are out of stock as well
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

What I'm wondering is this: if HP was planning to write off everything about webOS, why price webOS at such a low point that they sell within hours albeit at some hefty loss? Why not just sell them at cost? Ebay is currently busy proving that TouchPads DO sell at $300+ (a lot of Ebay sales here in Germany are reaching €350) so why lose money to get as many out the door as quickly as possible if you really intend on shutting down webOS and don't care about how many users you get how quickly?

They obviously have warehouses for their hardware, otherwise they'd be selling off PCs just as quickly if they wanted to wash their hands clean of any actual devices.

Maybe it's pareidolia but I think I'm seeing HP get ready for something.

The firesale drove up mindshare for webOS: people saw the price drop in the news, tried to get devices at 99, couldn't, and are now buying them at 300+ because they don't want to be left out completely, proving that it's NOT just the $99 price that got sales. It's actually the TouchPad that's getting sales. The $99 price drop was just what was needed to get people to finally notice.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    if HP was planning to write off everything about webOS, why price webOS at such a low point that they sell within hours albeit at some hefty loss? Why not just sell them at cost?
    Because the CEO wants out *now* - I think that's the start and end of it - as you say, selling it at cost would do it over a slower basis but I think Leo wants to show how hardball and decisive he is - and this is what you get.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    im not buying at 99, still a good price.
    It's what they said: They want out of hardware, but not out of software... now they have grown their user base a bit more and created a huge haze about webOs devices. That made the software look more interesting for potential licensing partners (or buyers)... so let's wait and see what is their next step for webOs software.