Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By elian
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I recently bought an HP Veer in the US (just before HP's announcement on webOS devices, but decided to keep it anyway, because I like the form factor combined with it being my first webOS device, which I had wanted for some time). Yesterday I unlocked and activated it with Impostah (I'm in the Netherlands). I do have some questions, however.

1) When I look at the Palm Profile in the Accounts section, it is called Dr. Skipped Firstuse (the only Palm profile that is listed there). Perhaps this occurred because I had problems initially with Digital Unlock and was curious what would happen if I entered my sim. The sim was locked and I turned the phone off after choosing the English language. (I was relieved that I still got British Pounds in the App Catalog after activation through Impostah.)

Is having this profile name a problem?

2) I noticed that Impostah generates the user name "Impostah user". Is it ok to change that to my real name afterward?

3) If I were to do a (full) erase (e.g. to solve issue 1), and have used Impostah in the past; do I then need to activate the phone with Impostah again after the erase?

Thank you very much.

Edit 1:
    Got too curious, so did a full erase (after seeing in the Impostah thread that using Impostah again should not be necessary). So my third question has been answered now :-).

The first two still remain, however. My Palm Profile is still called Dr. Skipped Firstuse in the Accounts list. If I tap it, I cannot change any of the "Use Account With" options, nor can I "Change Login Settings" (or "Remove Account").
    So a new question: is that normal? (I can imagine that the Palm Profile account cannot be removed, but I would think that the other options should be accessible?

Edit 2:
    Another Full Erase and now I've managed to get rid of Dr. Skipped Firstuse. What I did was turn off Backup before the erase, so that the backup would be removed from the server. Then do the erase and Dr. Skipped Firstuse was gone.
    Options can still not be changed, so I guess that is not possible.
    Last edited by elian; 08/25/2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: 2 updates
    rtn79 and multiply like this.
    sorry if i ask but what did you do about point number 2:

2) I noticed that Impostah generates the user name "Impostah user". Is it ok to change that to my real name afterward?

I have also noticed this when i do the log-in here ( https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface ) so i was wondering if i can change it :-)
    Skipping the setup imposes some limitations as far as I recall, like not being able to use the app store and not being able to update the system over the air. Mode Switcher will not be able to get all settings for initial setup either, and I assume there are other quirks (that I don't know) you would have to live with - so my advise is to do a proper Doctor and get properly up and running now that Impostah have done it's magic for you.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trovatore View Post
    sorry if i ask but what did you do about point number 2:

I have also noticed this when i do the log-in here ( https://ps.palmws.com/palmcsext/cons...oginPage.iface ) so i was wondering if i can change it :-)
    Yeah, I changed the name and everything (as far as I know ) still worked afterwards.

@autodidact: my apps were available from the start, so already when I had the Dr Skipped Firstuse profile. Although I got that profile name, I actually did not skip setup. To me, the profile name seemed some sort of by-product of the way I activated the phone. But all was and is working well (see the edits in my original post).
    I got around this by actually building my own Meta Doctor (instructions are on this forum) using the bypass first use build option. This let me skip straight into the OS without having to Dev Mode out of the First Use application, which is how you got Dr. Skipped Firstuse. I then used Impostah over wifi to log into my Palm Profile (through Activation) to get my device to be recorded in Palm's server, then used Impostah to erase my profile from the device. This caused a restart and put me back into First Use where I could now properly login to my profile through the proper activation path, but over wifi.
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    I have not tried nor investigated how deep a full erase goes, but a doctoring did well for me when I wanted to get rid of the "skipped account" and have the device running as supposed.

{I never liked playing with cards until webOS made it useful}
    Step 15 of the Impostah procedure addresses this issue.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals