Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VCI_Cell
  1.    #1  
    Hi all:

Well, I've done something idiotic, but I don't know what it is.

After installing several patches through Preware and downloading some homebrew apps, I began getting severe TMC error problems on my Veer. These intensified as I played around with different kernels and different clock speed settings in Govnah.

Of course, the whole time I was DLing new apps with my $50 credit, so I have no idea what the culprit might be.

Here's the confusing bit:

I reinstalled the stock Palm kernel and ditched the Preware homebrew apps and additional frameworks/Linux apps. Still had the problem. After finally deciding a Doctor was the only way to recover my device, I did so.

But I still get many TMC errors daily. I just restarted my device now, and left it alone with no cards open, just sitting in standby. Within 20 minutes of the restart completing, I got the usual "Memory Critical - Too Many Cards!" error. Preware isn't even installed anymore - far as I know, I'm fully back to stock.

Could there be a kernel problem? Did I miss something when messing around in there?

Any and all opinions welcome.
    I have the exact same problem. After a while the TMC goes away, I am just afraid that I may miss a call or text while its happening.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
  3.    #3  
    Seems we have the same problem! Let's see if we share app commonality.

Apps installed on my Veer, according to Software Manager:

AccuWeather
    Air Hockey
    Angry Birds
    App Catalog
    Bad Kitty
    Bank of America
    Beer Me! mobile
    BFG maps
    Carbon
    Clock Sync
    drPodder
    engadget
    Evernote
    Facebook
    Fandango
    Football Live!
    Forums
    Geocaching for webOS
    GetMeVino! Lite
    Go To
    GPS Fix
    Ground Effect
    Headlines Lite
    InterfaceLIFT
    LCARS
    LinkedIn
    Neighborhood Guide
    New York Times
    Pandora
    Paratrooper
    Photo Effects Pro
    Precentral News
    Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Saber Ultimate
    Shorten
    Slacker Radio
    Snake
    Star Trek Communicator
    Stardust
    Stitcher
    Tap for HELP
    TealTime
    The Weather Channel
    Touchnote
    Track My Transit
    TripAdvisor
    TuneIn by RadioTime
    Twee
    Universe
    Voice Memos
    Voogle
    WakeTube
    webOS Roundup
    White Pages
    wikiHow
    WootOn!
    Yelp

Apps in bold are ones which I installed around the time the TMC problems began.

Would you mind posting a similar list?
    I've had TMC since the beginning. I donated $50 so we could get the overclock, didn't fix anything, darn.

Audiophile
    Bad Kitty
    Baseball Live!
    Boxalicious
    Carbon
    DatPiff Mobile
    Dropboxify
    drPodder
    engadget
    Facebook
    Fandango
    FileMgr
    Fog Horn
    foursquare
    freeTether
    Govnah
    grpn
    Impostah
    InterfaceLIFT
    Internalz Pro
    neato!
    Net Speed
    Pandora
    Paper Basketball Plus
    phnx
    Piano
    Precentral News (unofficial)
    Preware
    Promo Codes
    QuickQueue
    Remote Free
    Save/Restore
    SI Magazine
    Spaz
    Spotify
    Starship Commander
    Supersonic Veer
    SysToolsMgr
    Texas Lotto Free
    TextOne
    The Weather Channel
    Time Lapse Camera
    TuneIn by RadioTime
    Twee
    TweetMe
    Voogle
    WarthogKernel (Veer)
    weatherIcon
    webOS roundup
    WebOS World Services
    Wells Fargo
    Wooter!
    Word Ace
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    My Pre2 does not like weatherIcon. You might try removing that and see if it helps.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    You are running many twitter clients... most of them support notifications about new tweets, even if the app is not running. This means: The install some background service, that sticks around even if the app is not running. I'm not sure, if the service is completely gone if the notifications are disabled.

Maybe you should decide for one of the twitter clients and remove the others.

That's not only for twitter clients, of course... There are quite some apps that support notifications and that means they are using some memory by some background service. Still that should not eat up all memory, but maybe some of the apps is buggy. And removing some of them service can't hurt performance.
    You are running many twitter clients... most of them support notifications about new tweets, even if the app is not running. This means: The install some background service, that sticks around even if the app is not running. I'm not sure, if the service is completely gone if the notifications are disabled.

Maybe you should decide for one of the twitter clients and remove the others.

That's not only for twitter clients, of course... There are quite some apps that support notifications and that means they are using some memory by some background service. Still that should not eat up all memory, but maybe some of the apps is buggy. And removing some of them service can't hurt performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    If the app is uninstalled, the service to look for updates should also be installed. A doctor certainly would've done it - BUT after doctoring, all the apps are synced back, and the game starts from the beginning.

VCI Cell, I think Garfonso has a great point - try going into your twitter apps' preferences menus, switch off auto-updates and notifications in all of your apps except the one that you like best, and restart. Maybe do the same to any other apps you have of which you know that they're retrieving information using a background service, unless of course you actually WANT them to retrieve those informations. (For example, I have switched off Facebook notifications because they p***ed me off and because I get Facebook emails anyway and every time I tell Facebook not to send me any more emails, they change their Terms and Conditions and reset my settings to 'receive any and all possible emails', those buggers)

It's easily possible that all of those redundant background services are bogging down your phone.
  9.    #9  
    Guys, sorry I'm late to the thank yous, but I appreciate your input!

Unfortunately, the problem persists. I've deleted all of my twitter clients and most of the new apps I'd downloaded. I still get TMC errors out of nowhere, starting consistently about two minutes after boot up completes.

The only non-stock app running background activity that I know of is Facebook, but I've turned off notifications.

Running Lumberjack, I'm seeing nothing that points me to a specific app. Some interesting bits:

(mediaserver) "Memory leak hack ... Restarting media server because no clients in last 60sec"

(node spawner) "Trying to access 0 as a number"

(media server) "NaN has no representation in JSON"

And more than a few of these:

(LunaSysMgr) "broken pipe"

(ls-hubd) "encountered error during recv: 104, connection reset by peer"

I'll keep pecking through the logs, but I have the start of A road trip early tomorrow and could use a quick suggestion from someone if anyone has any. Doctoring doesn't help, remember. :-/
    Go to the page with the system apps, find the backup app and disable automatic backup. You can always backup manually. This was suggested on another thread and it worked for me, and my phone was pretty much unusable.

I don't know why this would cause the problem though.
    Last edited by laingman; 09/01/2011 at 09:54 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Go to device info, find the backup app and Disable automatic backup
    Thanks for the quick reply. Interesting suggestion; I'm giving it a try. Can you share some of the thoughts that led you to believe this might be the culprit?

It's interesting that webOS doesn't seem to give a choice between automatic backup and no backup at all (not even manual). You're either all-in on auto backup, or youre not doing any backing up at all, it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Can you share some of the thoughts that led you to believe this might be the culprit?
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post3123175
  13.    #13  
    Thanks guys ... After disabling backup and a restart, I appear to be doing okay for now. Hardly an ideal solution, though! Anyone know if HP knows about this random, debilitating issue?

Thanks again guys. I'll roll "unprotected" until the phone can be safely backed up without TMC. Wonder why only some folks have this problem.
    Psychonaut likes this.
    I have no idea why, but it is reasonable to assume that since so many different phones are having the same problem it could be a network issue.
    I've just got a TMC with NO cards open. Is this a record?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedByKnaves View Post
    I've just got a TMC with NO cards open. Is this a record?
    Depends on what you were doing before you got the error, and what you have running in the background. Remember just because no cards are open doesn't mean no memory is being allocated.

I used to get this on my Pre quite often before enabling compcache in UK
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    turning the backup off seems to have worked for me. Haven't had any TMC errors since I turned it off backup. I'll just have to remember to turn it back on if I need to doctor.