Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Faenwolf
  1.    #1  
    1> I have ordered and will receive my Veer tomorrow (yay!). I have been waiting 6 months for the Pre3 but have been debating for some time about the Veer anyways because I want a small smart phone. So things kind of worked out due to HP's incompetence. I knew I wanted WebOS regardless.

I use my phones for a long time (current one is 5-6 years and still running). So, I plan on using the Veer for a minimum of 2 years and more than likely 3-4 years.

With that in mind, and knowing HP may not support the Veer in the future (regardless of what they say now), do you know how I can order 2 spare batteries for the Veer? I have searched the web and cannot locate any HP or after-markets. Do you know if HP sales them?

I know I will have to take the Veer apart when/if I need to change the battery but I am ok with that (take laptops apart many times and can follow directions if they are online).

2> Is it worth adding a display guard and if so, does it impact the effectiveness of the touch screen or make it harder to read?

Thanks for any help!!!

Thanks for any help.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I would like a battery with a higher capacity. Even my iPhone 3GS could do a lot longer with the battery.

Only replacing will not be easy, I think.
    I would not recommend spare batteries, since the lithium-ion type degenerates, even if not used at all. After two years, it's capacity could be sliced by half, even if you store them in perfect condition, since there is a chemical reaction constantly going on inside the battery no matter what. That is why one should always check the production date when buying new lithium-ion-cells... You find many articles regarding this issue on the net. So if you buy spares, don't expect them to be in perfect shape, when you use them after two or three years. If you buy anyway: keep them on half load and in a cool place for better lifetime. And reload them once in a while (that's tricky with the veer, since you cannot change so easiely), at least that's what they tell you on the intawebz ;-)

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    ap3604 likes this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    So, our Veer batteries are like ticking time bombs? After 2 years when they are not holding charges anymore there's nothing we can do
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Faenwolf View Post
    I would not recommend spare batteries, since the lithium-ion type degenerates, even if not used at all. After two years, it's capacity could be sliced by half, even if you store them in perfect condition, since there is a chemical reaction constantly going on inside the battery no matter what. That is why one should always check the production date when buying new lithium-ion-cells... You find many articles regarding this issue on the net. So if you buy spares, don't expect them to be in perfect shape, when you use them after two or three years. If you buy anyway: keep them on half load and in a cool place for better lifetime. And reload them once in a while (that's tricky with the veer, since you cannot change so easiely), at least that's what they tell you on the intawebz ;-)

Thanks for the heads-up. I was not aware of the shelf-life issue of older lithium-ions. Bummer Well there goes that plan.
    Well I still hope that HP will continue to produce batteries and such, I mean even if they are closing down their PC and Smartphone business, they have still obligations regarding warranty and customer support. Especially since you need them to change your battery on the veer. But maybe I'm just naive. Right now, i'm not quite sure what will become of my phone in two years. Would be nice to have the option for continue using it. But I likely get a new one anyway, since I am a mad tech geek ;-)

Well even if you can manage to get the right battery, it's not like you can easily install it.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Well even if you can manage to get the right battery, it's not like you can easily install it.
    Agreed...but when the time comes I do not mind doing it myself if I have to (if HP drops support). But its moot anyways if I cannot store these batteries for a great amount of time without them losing life while justing sitting there.

BTW I am loving this phone But I am still hating HP