Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    After the announcement a lot of buzz has going on saying 'dont buy a HP Pre 3... And to return your newly bought TouchPads... But from what I understand is they're still going to support WebOS... So i'm assuming the Veer will eventually get update 2.2 and so on. What do you guys think? Veer or No Veer?
    I'd wait a bit and see how everything pans out. I wouldn't get a Veer today if I was you.

HP is "exploring all options", which is a nice way of saying that they have no idea what to do with webOS yet because the decision to axe webOS hardware three months after they first started shipping any was taken so spontaneously that even webOS executives were taken by surprise by it; Leo and Cathy probably hatched that out yesterday night or something.

So unless you want to buy a phone now now, I'd say wait a few weeks.

Maybe we ARE blowing things out of proportion... maybe this is just a symptom of HP trying to shed its hardware body entirely and live on as a software ghost, and we're taking it personally...

If Samsung pops up with a licensing agreement, or HP pops up and they're saying webOS is being open-sourced to a group of OEMs just like Android used to be in the past (that is, of course, without HP building their own devices like Google is now that they bought moto...) we'll all be looking a bit stupid for assuming the worst just because HP decided to step out of hardware completely and focus on software from here on in.

There IS a chance of that happening, but the way HP handled stuff, they may have their work cut out for them convincing OEMs that they will, in fact, keep on improving and developing webOS and that they won't, next April, just matter-of-factly state that they'll be discontinuing webOS altogether, leaving a bunch of OEMs out in the rain. I suppose we will see.

If you want to buy a phone now now, webOS just isn't safe anymore. HP executives have made sure to state that HP is standing behind webOS and that webOS isn't going away - but just a month or two ago, they were still saying that HP is in it for the long run. HP's top executives apparently didn't even feel the need to tell HP's webOS GBU executives what was going to happen.
    It's clear that the left hand at HP really really has no idea what in the hell the right hand is doing, and that the head is, quite literally, looking at the clouds without caring what either of its hands is doing.
    As this is the case, we have no idea whether HP is still going to update the Veer to 2.2 to enable touch-to-share and bring Skype. If not, I'll be really really angry.

So if you like the Veer, wait a bit and see how this situation unfolds. It may yet turn out to be irate fangirls and boys blowing up over a weird phrase.

If you merely want a new small phone, go check out the Galaxy Mini. It's not as small and neat as the Veer of course, and from what I've seen it's not as nimble and smooth either, but while it probably isn't going to get any software updates either (which, in Android land, is par for the course - if you buy a phone at 2.2, you can be ecstatic if it gets 2.3, anything beyond that is up to your own ROM cookery) at least Android is a living ecosystem and Google isn't afraid to invest into its success the way HP is.
    Id get it, it seems to be a great phone anyway, but can you wait a week or two, perhaps you should.

Im waiting with an order for a couple of Pre3s and Veers to see if anything new pops up about webos next week.
    The Veer is a great phone, regardless of the announcement. It's really inexpensive, too. I wouldn't count on updates, but I personally believe the Veer will get updated, but you never know.
    Worst thing about the current situation is that I believe we'll get even less apps.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your imput guys. I think I'll wait a few weeks and see. I heard they're going to announce something with two weeks so if what I hear is good news... I stick by them if it sucks I guess i'll go with the iPhone 5 or wait for the Nexus Prime... Thanks again.
    If they have bad news in two weeks, the veer will become even cheaper... So I would wait anyway and make my own decision in two weeks.

I'm really sad right now.. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlackxBlood View Post
    After the announcement a lot of buzz has going on saying 'dont buy a HP Pre 3... And to return your newly bought TouchPads... But from what I understand is they're still going to support WebOS... So i'm assuming the Veer will eventually get update 2.2 and so on. What do you guys think? Veer or No Veer?
    well, it's your money. However, even if HP was making webOS device, when was the last time Veer got update? HP might support app and profile server, but I doubt there will be any update for veer in the future. Honestly, I think Veer sales was worse than TouchPad.
    The Veer was only around for three months now and never got an update in this time... but that does not say anything.

The question is: How hardware agnostic is webOs? How hard is it for anyone to adjust an update for some other hardware to the Veer? How many parts that are Veer exclusive (like hardware drivers) are buggy and need some work that HP needs to do? (After all webOs is based on Linux and improvements in the linux OS can be incorporated into webOs).
    Given that the Pixi has a very different hardware than the Pre and got very few love in the past but all the updates the Pre got (at least on my network), I think, at least as long as there is a phone around that get's any updates, the Veer will get them, too.
    If you can get one for 170 Euros, sure do. I received mine two days ago and could send it back. But I won't. The Veer is great, it's a shame HP is the wrong company.
    My Veer has an app for all my "tiny" use. It's really a goody tiny little fella which fold in my shirt pocket and has a really great audio for calls and the like.

Even if price don't drop, I would buy it again.

Even if HP cowardly step away from it, I would buy it.

And I wish people come to buy lot of webos devices so that hp see what they're losing by not standing up on their promises.

Screw HP, long live webos!
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    same here... I'm happy I decided the Veer to be my main mobile phone... even though there are no updates yet it has none of the major issues I saw on other webos phones (using EU version 2.1.1)

wait a week or two and if you're still thinking about getting a nice little phone... get it at a good price :-)
    We are about to see big announcements from Samsung on the 29th and HTC on the 1st plus Apple. A lot is about to happen...
    If you like it, you should get it. I've been waiting for the Preł, but now it appears it may never be released, so I'm starting to see a Veer in my future. My big worry is that a few weeks from now, they will all be gone, pulled from the shelves and sent back to Leo. What happens then?
    I plan on buying a veer and a touchpad. I like both and as bad as it may sound I hope to get them at a reduced price. I do have to wait till my sprint contract is up before I can use the veer as a phone though. My only concern is that they will never put out 2.2 and I'll have to live without TTS. I'm with WebOS to the end even if that is beyond the grave.

@henryalan you will probably still be able to find them on ebay even if that does happen
    Last edited by Xethur; 08/19/2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Yeah, ultimately it's all about the apps. Wait...
    If you're going to switch to AT&T, after Aug 21st the price for texting goes up to $20. They're doing away with the 1000 messages/month for $10 plan.
    If you really want a Veer they are about to get very cheap I think.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Yep, I'd wait a few days and check the prices every day. They might be getting real cheap.

Today is the last day of my first 30 days with my Veer and though I returned the touchpad this morning, I'm quite satisfied with my Veer and feel it will be fine for the next 1-2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    For the unlocked ones anyway. I ordered one tonight with a new plan, so it was free. I figure that if unlocked Pre 3's become available in the US, I can get one and then just swap SIM cards. If not, I'll have a new phone and my Sprint Pre can be retired.
    An ATT Veer is going for 50 on the HP website right now... search around to find out how to get that deal. (should be available tomorrow, apparently).

You can then unlock it for probably around 20 or 30 I assume.... not sure what digitalunlock is charging these days.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast