Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jmbones
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    This is for those that installed Preware and the battery % patch or any other patch that severely drained your Veer battery life. After I installed the battery % and icon patch my battery wouldn't last half a day after a full charge, even after I removed the patch and Preware altogether. However, one day my battery went completely dead and the Veer turned off. I then fully charged it and since then, the Veer lasts more than a full day in the "green" on the default battery meter. I reinstalled Preware (not the battery % patches) and a few other patches I wanted and I have no issues now. The interactive battery test still returns "red" but the battery lasts days now on one charge. Give it a shot, let your Veer go completely dead and then recharge it. Seems the battery gets a memory that needs to be drained.
    hlbice likes this.
    +1 and exactly what I've recommended in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post3060348
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I installed the patches for the HP Veer from Sconix and also use the show battery as percentage patch.
    http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...ice-menus.html

Is the problem caused by draining by this patch or is the problem that there is a memory issue with the battery?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    I installed the patches for the HP Veer from Sconix and also use the show battery as percentage patch.
    http://forums.precentral.net/enlight...ice-menus.html

Is the problem caused by draining by this patch or is the problem that there is a memory issue with the battery?
    Last night I drained the battery till 0% and after a while the phone was off. I charged it with a walloutlet. Since this morning it has been on since ~7:30 and now at 10:30 it has only drained 3%. That's 1% per hour.

I haven't had any phonecalls yet.
    I have disabled data, wifi, GPS, Bluetooth.

I still have the percentage patch enabled.

The days before (I only have the Veer for a week now) the battery lasts less then 2 days, with hardly any phonecalls.
    Now I hope it will go on for about 3 or 4 days.
    Last edited by Jozz; 08/26/2011 at 03:42 AM. Reason: added information
    If you have Govnah installed, what's the load average that it is reporting? Compared to my Pre, it is running very high.

I had some patches installed and I noticed that it was running with a load average of around 5. I took the patches off, restarted the phone, and after a few minutes, it still had a load average around 6 or 7. I ran JsTop and killed off the camera process (didn't touch the camera, so why is it even running?).

I'll turn everything off but the phone to see how that goes for today. I'll probably pull all my files off the device and doctor the device to see if that makes a difference. When my Pre would start to get sluggish, it was when it had a load average of 3 or 4. Killing things off like the camera would knock it down to 1. The Veer is much more responsive than my Pre ever was, but the load average seems too high.

high load average = busy cpu = high battery drain.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbones View Post
    This is for those that installed Preware and the battery % patch or any other patch that severely drained your Veer battery life. After I installed the battery % and icon patch my battery wouldn't last half a day after a full charge, even after I removed the patch and Preware altogether. However, one day my battery went completely dead and the Veer turned off. I then fully charged it and since then, the Veer lasts more than a full day in the "green" on the default battery meter. I reinstalled Preware (not the battery % patches) and a few other patches I wanted and I have no issues now. The interactive battery test still returns "red" but the battery lasts days now on one charge. Give it a shot, let your Veer go completely dead and then recharge it. Seems the battery gets a memory that needs to be drained.
    I had the same exeperience, but than my Veer went crazy and I had to pay visit to WebOSDoctor. Battery life after that is back to original - it drains cca 10% per hour with light-medium usage so I can hardly survive my working day w/o charging.
    I tried fully discharging the battery, but it didn't help.

Veer could had been great smartphone, if only it was born under happy star.

Kreso
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    I had the same exeperience, but than my Veer went crazy and I had to pay visit to WebOSDoctor. Battery life after that is back to original - it drains cca 10% per hour with light-medium usage so I can hardly survive my working day w/o charging.
    I tried fully discharging the battery, but it didn't help.

Veer could had been great smartphone, if only it was born under happy star.

Kreso
    Have you tried JStop with Auto Garbage collecting enabled? It really improved battery live for my Veer.
    ive noticed that 3g kills the battery vs wifi. so i always leave my 3g off unless im out and about and need it.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    anyone else find that external battery chargers are standard USB cigarette chargers don't inititate a charge?
    Quote Originally Posted by baloo247 View Post
    ive noticed that 3g kills the battery vs wifi. so i always leave my 3g off unless im out and about and need it.
    How did you turn 3g off?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
    How did you turn 3g off?
    You download the preware patch "GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu" and you will now have an option to force 2g edge instead of 3g
    Quote Originally Posted by rkn5555 View Post
    anyone else find that external battery chargers are standard USB cigarette chargers don't inititate a charge?
    Yes, same experience here. Generic USB chargers, wall units or car units, do not start up Veer charge - neither direct nor via Touchstone.

I suspect that this is due to required power output. Palm chargers, both cigarette-outlet and AC-outlet, are rated 1A. I do not have anything that powerful in my collection of various chargers from other devices; the closest one is 600mA.

I am planning to experiment a bit this week with my own 5V power supply to see if the issue is power rating or if there is some handshaking between the phone and the charger. Will post here.

On a related issue: recently, my Veer failed to take full charge on Touchstone. This happened at least 3-4 times within last month.

When that happened - after an overnight charge - the phone was very hot, dead, with a battery symbol on screen. Once it cooled down, it woke up and started recharging - with the initial charge level shown as almost empty.

It appears as if it was discharging on the Touchstone, instead of charging. Or, maybe it overheated the battery.
    Any comments?
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rkn5555 View Post
    I found that an iPhone wallplug works, but the touchscreen gets crazy. The same with 2 fake iPhone wallplugs. When charging with the original wallplug it's OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    You download the preware patch "GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu" and you will now have an option to force 2g edge instead of 3g
    How much talk time do you think you are averaging now in 2g? Thanks!
    Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.